Flyers report cards

a lot of honor roll type grades for a team that merely graduated.

i don't want to be too harsh on them because they did accomplish somethings and did grow as players and people this year.

i really thought Chiefs locker room clean out interview with Meltzer was interesting...it was essentially they need to come to camp in shape so we can  work even harder.

I am interested in seeing what a full year and camp with Chief produces.

@Phlyer1

@ruxpin

Great idea for a Thread/Topic!  I was thinking about doing something similiar the other day.  Too busy at work to put together a meaningful post.  Will post my grades later.

Yeah the whole team seemed to be in a funk Rangers just had there numbers pretty high grades for a team that had 10 guys on it who didn't even score a goal.

Here to hoping they figure it out next year. Mason proved at least he can hold it down in net if they figure out their scoring problems.

a lot of honor roll type grades for a team that merely graduated.

I agree on the one hand.   But I think it goes toward some of our complaints early in the season that the individual parts were seemingly better than sum they were creating.   You go down his list and, especially if he's avoiding handing out a bunch of Ds and Fs, I don't think the grade for any particular player was absurdly high.   There were instances where I would have had a C instead of the B- or a D instead of the C, but overall I really didn't think it was "You're doing a great job, Brownie!"

For a time during late winter/early Spring, I thought the team came together and actually was better than its parts.  The rest of the time, I thought they were individually better on paper than what they produced as a group.   Part of the learning experience?  Possibly.  I still think we have some square cogs where the blueprint clearly calls for round.   Good, solid, square cog utilized in completely useless way.

The players that I thought received grades that were a bit too lenient:

Luke Schenn  B?   I think coming on at the end was great but sucking for 75% of the year and coming on at the end gets you a B?  I'm being generous with a C.

Mark Streit  B+ ?   Perhaps by comparison to the rest of the D-corps.   But a B+?   Nitpicking, but B- at best.   By the way, how do you give Mason and Streit the same grade?  That cannot happen.

Hal Gill B+ ?   This grade is brought to you by the people who bring you AYSO, where you get a trophy just for showing up.   A B+?   I like Gill.  Apparently, he was a good locker room guy.  So is the sock guy.  I'm sorry, but a B+ for  SIX games?   And you give him the same grade as Streit and MASON (oh my God).   No.  That's ridiculous.  This is the NHL.  Good guys sometimes get bad grades.  Sorry Shallow Hal.

The players that I thought received grades that were a bit too lenient:

Luke Schenn  B?   I think coming on at the end was great but sucking for 75% of the year and coming on at the end gets you a B?  I'm being generous with a C.

Mark Streit  B+ ?   Perhaps by comparison to the rest of the D-corps.   But a B+?   Nitpicking, but B- at best.   By the way, how do you give Mason and Streit the same grade?  That cannot happen.

Hal Gill B+ ?   This grade is brought to you by the people who bring you AYSO, where you get a trophy just for showing up.   A B+?   I like Gill.  Apparently, he was a good locker room guy.  So is the sock guy.  I'm sorry, but a B+ for  SIX games?   And you give him the same grade as Streit and MASON (oh my God).   No.  That's ridiculous.  This is the NHL.  Good guys sometimes get bad grades.  Sorry Shallow Hal.

And how can he give Simmonds - who set career highs in goals, assists, and points and probably PPGs too - a B+, and then turn around and give Raffl an A? It's a pretty random and incoherent grading system he's got there.

I dunno, call me crazy, but when a guy sets career highs in 4 categories, and was one of the most consistent forwards all season, shouldn't that earn him at least an A???

• Like 1

Oh, right - Seravalli...

Giroux, quite frankly, had the least impactful six points in seven games that I believe I have ever seen. A? I suppose if I was covering the team and needed to make sure I still got story ideas and interviews fed to me, perhaps. And, of course, he was injured to start the season and injured to end the season. Again.

And the whole "Downie never recovered from his November 1 concussion, but we played him for most the rest of the season because" still doesn't work for me and likely never will.

Rinaldo ("42 minors, drew 28 penalties") gets the same grade as The Good Schenn? really?

Akeson - who I like - gets a "B" for EIGHT GAMES!?!?

MacDonald? I expect Great Things. Great. Things.

Oh, right - Seravalli...

Giroux, quite frankly, had the least impactful six points in seven games that I believe I have ever seen. A? I suppose if I was covering the team and needed to make sure I still got story ideas and interviews fed to me, perhaps. And, of course, he was injured to start the season and injured to end the season. Again.

And the whole "Downie never recovered from his November 1 concussion, but we played him for most the rest of the season because" still doesn't work for me and likely never will.

Rinaldo ("42 minors, drew 28 penalties") gets the same grade as The Good Schenn? really?

Akeson - who I like - gets a "B" for EIGHT GAMES!?!?

MacDonald? I expect Great Things. Great. Things.

Yes, this is what I meant by a random incoherent grading system.

What is the point of reference? The player himself and past performance?

In that case, Simmonds deserves an A or A+ when measured against himself and last year's performance. He improved upon it in almost every way.

Which is why it also makes sense to give Rinaldo the same grade as Brayden - if they're measured against themselves. 

Anyway, I give Frank a C for execution.

Was he high when he wrote that piece?

He gives Akeson a B based on 8 games, Gill a B+ based on 6, but refuses to grade Downie?! If you are going to judge a kid based on 8 games, I think you can muster up the energy to come up with an opinion on a player who played 51 games this year. I don't care that he was injured , if you didn't see enough from him to know he doesn't want to be here, you shouldn't be covering the sport. Plus, he played 51 games Frank! Christ!

Luke Schenn a B?! I have no words for this.

Hartnell is never going to come close to 37 goals ever again. If you are going to judge a guy by the best year of his career, which is flawed to begin with, at least recognize the fact that this was actually one of the best years (statistically) of his career despite the "only 20" goals. I don't even disagree with the grade he gave him, but rationale is weak.

I'm sorry, but the love affair with Raffl has to stop. I really like him, hope he stays for a long time (I legitimately mean that, I value a good role player), but he scored 9 goals for Christ's sake. He should be back on the 3rd line with Read and Couturier. It's where he belongs and where he can make the most impact.

I give Frank a B, but only because he's a boob.

On second thought, after reading some of the other posts on here, I can't argue with any of the points.

Seravalli is a worthless hack and should move over to Fox News.

I give Frank a B, but only because he's a boob.

This cracked me the hell up.

Luke Schenn has the possibility of being a B next year, but you can't dole out that kinda grade due to a good 6 weeks at the end of the year. Minus the 6 weeks after MacDaddy got here, he would have received a resounding D....so this is out of whack.