Hextall: press conference thoughts

Wants to develop youth and build from within. Doesn't like to sign older players. He must not have gotten Homers handbook!

On a side note, funny listening to the one reporter try to bait Snider with the fresh perspective philosophy question!

Edited by Samifan

Yes this is what I heard too.  He also said he doesnt like to trade younger players for old players and he couched it by saying unless we are getting a really good deal which sounds like unless we are 1 piece away from the ultimate goal.

The fresh perspective thing was funny and not unexpected.  I also liked the joking about Hexy's holdout back when he was a player.

Another interesting thing was when they reminded us that we have a young and inexpereinced team that players were called out as having to do better.  These included Brayden Schenn, Cooter and Simmonds.  I was surprised that they named names at an event such as this.

After reading all the reports and taking in everything, I wonder about the circumstances that brought this move to be. It s sounds like Hexy was on his way out to Washing ton unless the move was made, and Homer wasn't ready to go. Any chance Homer holds a grudge, especially if Hexy turns things around?

Another interesting thing was when they reminded us that we have a young and inexpereinced team that players were called out as having to do better. These included Brayden Schenn, Cooter and Simmonds. I was surprised that they named names at an event such as this.

They called out Simmonds? Career highs in points and goals, led the team in goals, playoff hat trick and they called him out?? Seems shortsighted. No, make that silly.

All Schenns need to improve significantly. Couturier should get some chances to do more than just "shut down" guys.

After reading all the reports and taking in everything, I wonder about the circumstances that brought this move to be. It s sounds like Hexy was on his way out to Washing ton unless the move was made, and Homer wasn't ready to go. Any chance Homer holds a grudge, especially if Hexy turns things around?

Just days ago Homer was feeling great, had no plans to move on and even specifically stated that he would allow Hextall to talk with other teams.

I think you are entirely correct that Hextall was going to look to move and Snider stepped in.

I don't think so. Homer said he approached Snider about this back in January, so it was already in the works. And Hextall said that he wouldn't have taken the job unless he was sure that Homer wanted to move on. He even said that he kept asking Homer if it was what he wanted so often that Homer finally told him to stop asking the question.

Homer didn't say much about what he'll be doing going forward but what little he did say made it sound like he really wants to get into the other side of management, the business side or something like along those lines.

Just days ago Homer was feeling great, had no plans to move on and even specifically stated that he would allow Hextall to talk with other teams.

I think you are entirely correct that Hextall was going to look to move and Snider stepped in.

Nope. Homer basically came right out and said "I lied" (not in so many words) when the question came up last week. He even mentioned that Snider "or someone" kind of let the cat out of the bag. This had clearly been planned for a long time.

Edited by JackStraw

I don't think so. Homer said he approached Snider about this back in January, so it was already in the works. And Hextall said that he wouldn't have taken the job unless he was sure that Homer wanted to move on. He even said that he kept asking Homer if it was what he wanted so often that Homer finally told him to stop asking the question.

Homer didn't say much about what he'll be doing going forward but what little he did say made it sound like he really wants to get into the other side of management, the business side or something like along those lines.

Nope. Homer basically came right out and said "I lied" (not in so many words) when the question came up last week. He even mentioned that Snider "or someone" kind of let the cat out of the bag. This had clearly been planned for a long time.

Certainly could have been in the works. This was Monday from the Bobby Clarke School of Commentary

"We'll see where that goes, but I'm certainly not in any position where I want to change chairs."

From a distance, last night's news conference sounded like an owner and a general manager on different pages.

Holmgren, 58, was promoted his current position on Oct. 22, 2006; this was his eight season on the job. When asked by another reporter how long he might want to continue as the Flyers' shot-caller, he snapped.

"Do you think I look 70?" Holmgren asked. "I still feel pretty good. Hockey has been my life and my passion for a long time. Do I enjoy it as much? Absolutely."

Strangely, though, Holmgren was less clear as to whether he would allow Hextall to interview for an opening. Hextall is under contract for multiple years. Unlike other sports, the NHL has no rule as to whether front-office employees under contract must be permitted to interview for a job with other franchises, even if it is a promotion.

"Well, I don't have to if I don't want to," Holmgren said when asked whether he would grant permission. "If that were the case, to me, is that the right thing to do? Yeah. You can always say, 'No, I refuse to give you permission to talk to my employee.' There's no law that says I have to give it to them.

"To me, if and when that happens, somebody wants to talk to Ron Hextall about a general manager's opening, yeah. No problem."

This was Monday

Same answer applies. Did you watch the PC? He clearly said "we weren't ready to talk about it" (Hextall as GM). It's not in any way shocking that an announcement like this should be held off on until a proper press conference.

I realize that it's fun to come up with conspiracy theories when talking about the Flyers front office, but this move was coming from the day they hired Hextall and everyone knew it. And like I said, if you saw what Snider said last week, it was clear that they knew this was going to be announced, when they were ready to announce it. Which is the right way to do it imo. The press is always looking for a scoop but it's the team's business and prerogative to announce this kind of thing in their own sweet time.

So Homer lied? What if he is lying now about lying then? either way he made a statement that toes the company line.

I smell behind the scenes drama.

A GM being less than entirely forthcoming? I am shocked I tell you, shocked!

Same answer applies. Did you watch the PC? He clearly said "we weren't ready to talk about it" (Hextall as GM). It's not in any way shocking that an announcement like this should be held off on until a proper press conference.

I realize that it's fun to come up with conspiracy theories when talking about the Flyers front office, but this move was coming from the day they hired Hextall and everyone knew it. And like I said, if you saw what Snider said last week, it was clear that they knew this was going to be announced, when they were ready to announce it. Which is the right way to do it imo. The press is always looking for a scoop but it's the team's business and prerogative to announce this kind of thing in their own sweet time.

I couldn't get the damn stream to work. Comcast fed me half a dozen commercials, but never the actual content they "preceded."

Absolutely concur that it is their prerogative and it's certainly possible and probably likely that there was a planned move. Hextall was clearly heir apparent and Snider said he was evaluating titles, etc.

But it could also be that on Monday/weekend Holmgren didn't want to go but then Hextall came in with the "Washington is very interested" line and that changed Homer's mind "for the good of the organization."

Not that this team makes dramatic, franchise-shaking moves at the drop of a hat on a regular basis or anything.

Well, after Hexy said he was gonna build from within, Snider had a stroke. That's the only thing to explain him not talking much. Other than that, it was a great presser. (tattoo on the ass, now that was a classic)

Hextall "What did he say?"

LMAO! Nice to see Homer crack a joke.

What amazes me are the people already fearing how the Hextall regime will do and the guy has officially had the job for less than 2 hours. Have Flyers fans gone nuts. Just wait and see. It's not like we can do anything about it anyway.

Calling out players??? I have no problem with it. 

If anyone of you have worked in a corporation (and I'm sure most do ),  but in a leadership role, then you DON'T tip your hand. Paul was justified in saying what he did last week.

I guess NO MATTER what you can't make people happy. They wanted Homer out, He's out. They want players held accountable, they where (Simmonds aside). They wanted Hexy in, He's in. Still a bunch of bit ching and moaning. Unbelievable.

@radoran

I see it exactly the same way...

They knew when they signed Hexy that he would one day be the guy to replace Homer. But I don't think they expected it to be now. I would venture a guess that Homer wanted another season and he expected hexy to happily wait in the wings. However, hexy has other plans and forces their hand by dangling Washington. They either move it or lose it.

Classic play by hexy, and if true, gives me some confidence about him as a businessman

What amazes me are the people already fearing how the Hextall regime will do and the guy has officially had the job for less than 2 hours.

Who is "fearing" the Hextall regime? I don't see anything about "fearing" the Hextall regime anywhere, from anybody. Here, Twitters, Facebooks - no where do I find anyone "fearing" the Hextall regime.

What amazes me are the people already fearing how the Hextall regime will do and the guy has officially had the job for less than 2 hours. Have Flyers fans gone nuts. Just wait and see. It's not like we can do anything about it anyway.

Calling out players??? I have no problem with it. 

If anyone of you have worked in a corporation (and I'm sure most do ),  but in a leadership role, then you DON'T tip your hand. Paul was justified in saying what he did last week.

I guess NO MATTER what you can't make people happy. They wanted Homer out, He's out. They want players held accountable, they where (Simmonds aside). They wanted Hexy in, He's in. Still a bunch of bit ching and moaning. Unbelievable.

Of course we are going to "go nuts" (I call it having reservations). This is the same move they always do. We don't have to be hockey execs to see that this looks like the same 'ol song and dance