Hextall: press conference thoughts

this move, for me, is Flyers' business as usual until proven otherwise.  Second verse, same as the first....

sure looked that way watching the press conference. Some writer on philly.com makes the point better than me but basically it looked like the definition of a "Good Ol' Boys" club - those 3 together.

hey it's great they like each other, nice to see Homer with something other than a scowl-in-the-making on his face. But you couldn't design a more obvious 3-of-a-kind.

Second verse, same as the first....

Just last night I was reminded of just how bad
It had gotten and just how sick I had become
But it could change with this relationship
De-de range we've all been through some ****
And if were a thing I think this things begun

• Like 1

He's senior VP. I don't think anyone knows of what exactly.

Senior VP of Suite Concessions. Has direct oversight of popcorn servers, so he's the direct supervisor for Hal Gill and Jay Roadkill.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

sure looked that way watching the press conference. Some writer on philly.com makes the point better than me but basically it looked like the definition of a "Good Ol' Boys" club - those 3 together.

hey it's great they like each other, nice to see Homer with something other than a scowl-in-the-making on his face. But you couldn't design a more obvious 3-of-a-kind.

With absolutely no hint of irony whatsoever, if you and I agree on this I'm now pretty comfortable with my take on it (honest to God, no sarcasm).  It's just that you and I sometimes (often?) come at things from different angles, so the fact we seem to see this one similarly either means YOU are wrong or it's a pretty good take.  :)

Senior VP of Suite Concessions. Has direct oversight of popcorn servers, so he's the direct supervisor for Hall Gill and Jay Roadkill.

I was going to go in a similar direction with this but "direct supervisor of Hall Gill and Jay Roadkill" was way too good.  Cracked me the hell up.

FIRE HEXTALL!!

But seriously.

The AHL part was most interesting. The Phantoms have been a ghost of an AHL organization recently. Player development is underrated.

For the most part, Hextall's job this past year has been overseeing the Phantoms.  I see that team totally revamped this summer as they look forward to the move to Allentown for their first season in their new building.

This is the first GM that I would say is not part of the Broad Street Bullies club, even though he would have fit like a glove ;) 

It's also the first GM that I remember and watched as a player. Loved Hextall's game and compete level! 

I expect great things. I really do.

Now bring me the mother******* Vanek!

This is the first GM that I would say is not part of the Broad Street Bullies club, even though he would have fit like a glove ;)

Russ Farwell? Bob MCCammon?

It's also the first GM that I remember and watched as a player. Loved Hextall's game and compete level! 

I feel old.

Can't see it but it would be nice.

Russ Farwell? Bob MCCammon?

I feel old.

Can't see it but it would be nice.

Ahh yes, who could forget Farwell? I did forget McCammon though. 

I guess I meant the first GM who wasn't a BSB. Those guys did not play for the Flyers.

I think you're right in that we probably won't get Vanek. But we'll get someone. It's just a matter of how they pull it off (trade, signing), how that affects the core roster, and whether that player is a smart choice.

My favorite part was:

“If you think winning the Stanley Cup is easy, I have news for you. And the one thing I mentioned earlier, Philadelphia’s not sitting there waiting for, you know, number one picks year after year after year. You know, for five years. I mean it’s, it’s the easy way to go and there’s no guarantees of winning a cup then. But to maintain something for 25 years or 30 years, which has been done here, is hard to do…

…Other than maybe not winning the big one, and again right now there’s 30 teams out there and right now there’s a team, won’t mention any names, there’s a team out there just collecting the number 1 picks right now. Yeah, they’re gonna be a pretty good team in 3 or 4 years, but ask their fans if they’ve had a fun last 7 or 8 years. I mean, it’s just, the culture of winning is nothing to be embarrassed about.”

I agree with Hextall. Stripping your team down of most of their NHL players and replacing them with high end draft picks who may or may not turn out is no guarantee of success. Oh, an it's not much fun to watch for 7 or 8 years.

Edited by JR Ewing

I feel old.

You and me both.  After we were unceremoniously 86ed from the playoffs this year I thought back to all the years I have been a fan and realized that on November 11th of this year will be the 30th anniversary of my 1st Flyers game.  I know that there are some on here who can top that but I still cant get my head round that number.

I was listening to some local dreck yesterday and they stated how much work Hextall has in front of him and implied that the team is an absolute mess.

I just don't see it. The forward core is young and in decent standings, the defense is suspect, but not the worst in the league. An impact defender could change all that. Goaltending is, for once, not an issue. So at the end of the day, if Ron can unload VLC and get a decent winger to play with Giroux and perhaps an impact defener (not Weber, but something decent) this team is not too far off imo.

Imagine:

Vanek-Giroux-Voracek

Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds

Akerson-Couturier-Read 

Rinaldo-Hall-Raffl

Macdonald-Schenn (hopefully ready for the big minutes)

Coburn-Striet

Gus-Grossman

You and me both.  After we were unceremoniously 86ed from the playoffs this year I thought back to all the years I have been a fan and realized that on November 11th of this year will be the 30th anniversary of my 1st Flyers game.  I know that there are some on here who can top that but I still cant get my head round that number.

I can't believe we don't get medals for this! :D

I can't believe we don't get medals for this! :D

Yeah seriously, the least they could do is send us the money for the therapy that we need to be in for following this team.  I should have realized that it was a bad sign when Pelle died in the car accident exactly a year after I had gone to my 1st game but then I was only 9 years old back then and didnt know any better.

*breaking news*

The Pittsburgh Penguins have appointed Robbie Brown as assistant GM in charge of attending all GM meetings where Ron Hextall will be present.

And then running away.

I was listening to some local dreck yesterday and they stated how much work Hextall has in front of him and implied that the team is an absolute mess.

I just don't see it. The forward core is young and in decent standings, the defense is suspect, but not the worst in the league. An impact defender could change all that. Goaltending is, for once, not an issue. So at the end of the day, if Ron can unload VLC and get a decent winger to play with Giroux and perhaps an impact defener (not Weber, but something decent) this team is not too far off imo.

I don't see it, either, but that's the conventional wisdom...

They have the space and ability to sign a solid winger and can address the defense (although it's looking like Timonen will be back).

They locked up a playoff spot, took a team to seven and lost 2-1 - that's not a "blow this whole thing up" scenario at all.

Can they still use the future considerations they got from LA for JR to have LA take VLC, too? :ninja:

• Like 1

For the most part, Hextall's job this past year has been overseeing the Phantoms.  I see that team totally revamped this summer as they look forward to the move to Allentown for their first season in their new building.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140508_Hextall_takes_over_as_Flyers_GM.html

There was a moment last fall when Holmgren and Hextall were at a Phantoms game and Hextall asked the honest question: "How many draft picks do we have playing tonight?" Holmgren could only count four. The opponent had 12.

I hope he keeps asking that question every year. Let's at least try to reach double digits, eh?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140508_Hextall_takes_over_as_Flyers_GM.html

There was a moment last fall when Holmgren and Hextall were at a Phantoms game and Hextall asked the honest question: "How many draft picks do we have playing tonight?" Holmgren could only count four. The opponent had 12.

I hope he keeps asking that question every year. Let's at least try to reach double digits, eh?

On the one hand, that fact is depressing.

On the other, we have a new GM that is keenly aware of that fact.

In Hexy We Trust.