Hextall: press conference thoughts

Homer has always had an eye for talent. 

Unfortunately, he also tended to see past glory as an indication of future results with some players.

That was in the process of changing and this off season would have been something of an acid test for that process. The Flyers have built a strong core and the question is can that core deliver?

Hextall is certainly in a much better situation than the one Homer inherited, but he's still got some important work ahead of him.

In Hexy We Trust.

Trust, But Verify :D

With absolutely no hint of irony whatsoever, if you and I agree on this I'm now pretty comfortable with my take on it (honest to God, no sarcasm).  It's just that you and I sometimes (often?) come at things from different angles, so the fact we seem to see this one similarly either means YOU are wrong or it's a pretty good take.   :)

ha, lol, I know what you mean - when I first read your thoughts on the change I said to myself "me and Rux agree? Hmm, well I think that means I'm looking at this the right way." Seriously. Whenever your viewpoint is different than mine I still see how it could be the right way to look at the situation.

I see Hextall as a Flyer through and through. He separated, got some distance the past 8 years and I'm sure he gained valuable experience in LA. Still it's only right to take a "wait and see" attitude toward his managment.

since then I've read a little more about Hexy's style and what he wants to do, with the analytical data and all. It sounds good, and it appears that's something Homer didn't value very much - the "higher analysis" numbers (or whatever they call it). And we all read how unhappy he was when he learned we only had 3 or 4 draftees skating in a Phantoms' game this season...It sounds like he won't be nearly as quick to plug a hole with some "name" FA, and particulary not with a guy in his mid-30s. If that's true it's a big, smart step in the right direction!

I thought Holmgren was far better of a GM than Clarke. Clarke had zero patience with the youth and was not too good at assessing talent. However, somewhere around the second or third year of Holmgren's tenure he started to go full Clarke on us and was falling into the same habits as his predecessor. I think Hexy will try and build a proper team and stock the farm, but at the end of the day, if the old man (Snider) isn't happy, you can bet the farm that Hexy will fall into the questionable veteran acquisition over youth movement. 

Aside from the defense, this team is in far better shape than the one that Holmgren inherited, so that is certainly a plus. I think we will see some tweaks on the defense, but nothing major. Also, I think we will see VLC shipped out of town, and perhaps a solid LW'er for the 1st line. 

If those three things can be achieved this summer, I would pleased out of the gate with Hextall's GM'ing. 

• Like 1

Also, I think we will see VLC shipped out of town

How do you envision this happening? As you know he's got a NMC....it would really be something if Hextall could make that happen this summer.

• Like 1

@canoli,Hexy should play hardball with him.Put him in the fourth line and see who blinks first. Hopefully Vinny will waiver before lingering on the fourth.

It really depends on how they use "the fourth" and who's on it. 

Akeson-Lecavalier-Rinaldo/other

Isn't such a bad line and, given 9-11 minutes a game with VLC getting 2nd PP time (2-4 min) could be a productive scenario given the potential matchups.

I'm a great believer in playing the best defense by playing offense in the other team's zone. With the cap as it is, it might not be such a bad scenario.

Except where ego is concerned..

To be clear, I would welcome losing Lecavalier for anything that doesn't cost the Flyers anything up to retaining a bit of salary and including, say, a 4th and the future considerations from LA in the Roenick deal...

So with that line are you saying Hall isn't resigned?

If they want a "traditional" fourth line, then Hall could be.

If they want to go in a different direction, then VLC could make sense.

I just look at it as a question of matchups.

In reality, getting rid of VLC probably makes more sense.

If they want a "traditional" fourth line, then Hall could be.

If they want to go in a different direction, then VLC could make sense.

I just look at it as a question of matchups.

In reality, getting rid of VLC probably makes more sense.

I could live with it cause Hall was slow. Hall could be stashed in the A i think though. I would like to get to where they could roll 4 lines however that is best done.

Isn't such a bad line and, given 9-11 minutes a game with VLC getting 2nd PP time (2-4 min) could be a productive scenario given the potential matchups.

I'm a great believer in playing the best defense by playing offense in the other team's zone. With the cap as it is, it might not be such a bad scenario.

To be clear, I would welcome losing Lecavalier for anything that doesn't cost the Flyers anything up to retaining a bit of salary and including, say, a 4th and the future considerations from LA in the Roenick deal...

I Agree.

I would much rather to be able to roll four than three and a line of Neanderthals. My line of thinking was If Vinny feels like he can still play top two line minutes he won't accept the fourth line roll and accept a trade to anyone foolish enough to take him. It's not so much the player as it is they are playing him out of position and that damn Paul Holmgren signature series contract.

@canoli

I agree with a NTC/NMC making it hard to shop the guy, but playing on a 4th line with a grinder and a Phantom call-up has to hurt the ego. It will probably cost the Flyers to move the guy, but Hextall's first order of business should be to clean up some of the issues that his predecessor left him. 

I like the idea of rolling four solid lines, but in the end that cuts out Giroux's minutes and that should not happen under any circumstances. 

I could see something along the lines of either the Flyers retaining some of his salary and they get a low pick/prospect, or they retain no salary, but take another teams cap headache.

I really like this idea. The X factor, to me, is Laughton. He's certainly not going to stay in the AHL for the next 4 years. So, if he doesn't make the squad on merit this season, VLC on the 4th makes sense. But if he does, then we've got too many cooks in the kitchen again. And by cooks, I mean centers.

Plus, that's not even taking into account a FA signing on the wing.

Moulson (?) /G/Jake

Raffl/Schenn/Simmonds

Akeson/Couturier/Read

Hartnell/VLC/Rinaldo or Vandevelde or McGinn

The Fourth Line - Where Holmgren Contracts Go To Die.

If Hexy pulls off a trade for Kane, then we're in even better shape, IMO.

Kane/G/Jake

Akeson/Couturier/Simmonds

Hartnell/VLC/Read

Raffl/Laughton/Rinaldo

This way, G gets his winger... and with G and Jake feeding Kane the puck, that could be deadly. 

Couturier is already 2nd line center, let's face it. Based on TOI, he's there. Flanked by Akeson and SImmer, that could provide him with the offensive kickstart that he needs to take the next step. 

Hartnell and VLC provide some cycle and offense on the 3rd line, and Read gives them defensive responsibility and speed. 

Laughton then has an opening on the 4th. I love Rinaldo, though I wish he didn't have a full-time roster spot by default. I think he should be inserted into the lineup as needed.

Anyway, I'm sure the lines will look nothing like that come September. 

first order of business has to be the D - Kimmo is a question mark but if he comes back it can't be him and Coburn again as top pair playing the big minutes. And we can't make the same mistake the Isles did with Andy Mac - he's a 3/4 guy not a big-minutes guy. Luke is getting better but obviously he's not ready to skate 22 mins. I don't know who/how they make 3 solid pairs out of what they have...I guess they'll be making a trade.

what happens to VLC is less of a concern to me because I kind of accept that he's here to stay. They'll have to deal with him somehow, whether it's 4th-line minutes and PP time or maybe they try him again - fresh start - as a scoring center. Maybe Laughton is ready maybe he's not I don't know, but VLC probably gets another look to start the year.

I'm ready to see what Couturier can do offensively - I wonder if he's getting sick of being strictly a shutdown forward. Akeson will get a spot I guess. Hartnell will move down a line (or 2). So they just need someone on that top line LW spot.

There isn't a lot to do - but what needs doing isn't going to be easy.