Armchair GM...New York Rangers

Hi,

I'm new to this site. I love playing Armchair GM and always approach moves from both sides. I'm one of the most unbiased fans you'll meet because I love the game of hockey. So, I was hoping fans of other teams could help out here.

I think the Rangers need to trade Marc Staal, Carl Hagelin, Derrick Brassard, JT Miller, Jesper Fast, Dylan McIlrath, Cam Talbot. And I'd be willing to throw in Derek Stepan and John Moore in there. I'd also like to trade Henrik Lundqvist but that won't ever happen. And before you kill me, let me explain that. Hank is the best Rangers player I've ever seen. BUT, no team since the 04-05 lockout has won a Stanley Cup with a goalie whose cap hit exceeded 5M give or take 500K. Hank's first big contract was 6.75M or in that general area. Now it's 8M. It's simply too much for a goalie even if he is the best in the world. Clearly money and the market is more valuable to him than a Cup (not saying a Cup doesn't matter to him). But Look at Jonathan Quick. Wins a Cup, signs a 9 year deal worth around 5M a year because he knows he wants to win again. I love Hank but it's time to move on. Also, when the cap gets to a point where his contract won't be that bad, he'll be about 35 or 36 at least and starting to decline. I'll definitely keep Hank if I can. But if somebody is willing to offer me the right deal I'd have to look at it.

What I think the Rangers need is a 3rd line C who can win faceoffs and get in guys faces, a hear tand soul guy who can block shots, hit, agitate, etc. A young scorer, an experienced scorer, a 1st/2nd line C (I would amnesty Richards and sign Stastny).

Guys I like are; Ryan Kesley (VAN), Matt Martin and Casey Cizikas (NYI), Chris Kelly and Gregory Capbell (BOS).

All of the moves I've made in my head using Capgeek were with the Cap at 69M which it's likely going to be at with the poor Canadian dollar bringing it down.

Here are some of the moves I've planned in my head:

Derrick Brassard, JT MIller, and a future 2nd to NYI for Casey Cizikas, Matt Martin, and Matt Donovan

Marc Staal, Dylan McIlrath, Cam Talbot, and Jesper Fast/Carl Hagelin to VAN for Ryan Kesler and Jason Garrison

Carl Hagelin/Jesper Fast to CHI for Bryan Bickell (20% Retained Salary)

2016 3rd, 2016 5th, 2015 2nd, Michael St Criox and John Moore to BOS for Torrey Krug, Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell. (Take away the 2nd and John Moore and you can take Krug out of there)

You sign Stastny, Callahan, Jokinen, Boyle/Markov

A trade I'd do that would involve Lundqvist: Lundqvist, Moore, McIlrath, Hagelin to EDM for Eberle, Gagner, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd

Nash-Kesler-St. Louis

Kreider-Stastny-Zuccarello

Callahan-Cizikas-Jokinen

Martin-Kelly-Campbell

Scratch: Dom Moore

Girardi-McDonagh

Boyle/Markov-Garrison

Stralman-Klein

• Like 1

Wow that's a lot to digest there.  First off, welcome to the site and good to have another HOCKEY fan on board.  I'm a Penguins fan so you and I are temporarily mortal enemies, but i think I'm allowed to welcome you anyway.   ;)

As for your Lundqvist comments, I think you would deeply regret trading him off.  Honestly, winning a Cup takes a solid goaltender, and Lundqvist is among the best at that position.  He's made a difference for you in so many games, I don't see where trading him off to save $1 or $2 million is going to pay off.  You're still going to have to pay $5 mill roughly for a good starting goaltender, and you will most likely win fewer games without Lundqvist if you're shopping for a cheaper alternative.  And what does $1 or $2 million buy you?  A third line guy, who you can usually replace without noticing too much of a decline.  If your replace your goalie you will regret it.  He's the only reason your last few playoff games weren't much worse on the scoreboard.  

Some of your trades make me scratch my head.  Rick Nash has shown himself to be a bust for your organization so far.  I'm not saying he should go, but you gave up your solid centerman "Dubinsky" to get him.  I understand your desire for Kesler, as he's a valued commodity.  But your wishes for Matt Martin, Cizikas and Donovan escapes me.  None of them stand out in any way.  I also don't think your trade proposal to get Kesler AND Garrison is enough.  Garrison is pretty well thought of, and I'm not so sure a Kesler/Garrison for Hagelin/Staal is going to happen.  The other players are just fill really.  

Bickell I could see you getting for Hagelin and fill though.  He's well regarded in Chicago, but you may be able to pull that off.  

I don't see Boston trading Krug for your proposal.  You'd have to up the ante a bit to score him.  He's young and really developing well.  

I could see your team in the race to sign Stastny but not Callahan.  Callahan pretty clearly told your organization what he wanted in his contract and they decided they would rather trade him than match the numbers, so he's out.  Stastny will get offered more than he's worth I think, so you'd better have your checkbook open on that free agency prize.  Boyle and Markov you can have in my eyes, as neither are really standout players anymore.  Jokinen is doing well mostly because he's with Malkin, though his playoff success will have the Penguins thinking of retaining him, so he may cost you to get as well.  

Your last trade idea...  that one is interesting to me.  Edmonton would LOVE to have Lundqvist I'm sure, and solve their goalie problems.  They did just acquire Viktor Fasth and Ben Scrivens though, so I don't know if they'd be too keen on surrending Jordan Eberle to anybody.  He's a great young talent and he'll only get better.  

Well done for your first post my friend.  You have a serious revamp in mind for your team.  You won't see all of this, of that I think we're both certain, but the off season is always interesting.  And if the Pens close your boys out friday night, you may very well see some serious changes in the offseason!  

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

@IAMSection407MSG

Welcome.  Great first post, I had to pour a cup of coffee just to decipher that. wow.  I take it you don't like your team.   -_- 

Let me start with Callahan...why O why did you trade him away?  A really bad move by Sather imo.  Sather is the first change I'd make for your team as he truly doesn't like or get the need for the heart and soul guys like Prust, Dubinsky, and Callahan.  

Next.. I'm not sure why you want to trade Staal?  Yeah, he is a liability for a concussion and maybe his play isn't the same since he took a puck to the face, but I didn't think he was the problem. Staal is a difficult d-man to play against. However, if I were to trade Staal I'd be looking to Carolina for a deal.  I'm not sure who you would want there, but I think you could get a decent return as the Canes just might overpay.    I also agree with Polaris in retaining Lundy, man if there is a Flyer killer on your team it is Lundquist. He may not have had his best season this year, but he is the reason you guys are still playing and the Flyers aren't.

I think you have what it might take to obtain Kesler, but since Vancouver is looking to get younger at center Stepan would would be a primary piece.  I don't think the Canucks would trade Garrison.  

Stastny will be a great acquisition this summer -one lucky team will pay a huge price to get him. I do think his cap hit will be more greater than what the Rangers should pay for a third line center.

You have a lot more in your post I don't have time to address right now.... but start with the problem and Fire Sather!  -- or maybe not, as a fan of the Flyers.  ;)

Wow that's a lot to digest there.  First off, welcome to the site and good to have another HOCKEY fan on board.  I'm a Penguins fan so you and I are temporarily mortal enemies, but i think I'm allowed to welcome you anyway.   ;)

As for your Lundqvist comments, I think you would deeply regret trading him off.  Honestly, winning a Cup takes a solid goaltender, and Lundqvist is among the best at that position.  He's made a difference for you in so many games, I don't see where trading him off to save $1 or $2 million is going to pay off.  You're still going to have to pay $5 mill roughly for a good starting goaltender, and you will most likely win fewer games without Lundqvist if you're shopping for a cheaper alternative.  And what does $1 or $2 million buy you?  A third line guy, who you can usually replace without noticing too much of a decline.  If your replace your goalie you will regret it.  He's the only reason your last few playoff games weren't much worse on the scoreboard.  

Some of your trades make me scratch my head.  Rick Nash has shown himself to be a bust for your organization so far.  I'm not saying he should go, but you gave up your solid centerman "Dubinsky" to get him.  I understand your desire for Kesler, as he's a valued commodity.  But your wishes for Matt Martin, Cizikas and Donovan escapes me.  None of them stand out in any way.  I also don't think your trade proposal to get Kesler AND Garrison is enough.  Garrison is pretty well thought of, and I'm not so sure a Kesler/Garrison for Hagelin/Staal is going to happen.  The other players are just fill really.  

Bickell I could see you getting for Hagelin and fill though.  He's well regarded in Chicago, but you may be able to pull that off.  

I don't see Boston trading Krug for your proposal.  You'd have to up the ante a bit to score him.  He's young and really developing well.  

I could see your team in the race to sign Stastny but not Callahan.  Callahan pretty clearly told your organization what he wanted in his contract and they decided they would rather trade him than match the numbers, so he's out.  Stastny will get offered more than he's worth I think, so you'd better have your checkbook open on that free agency prize.  Boyle and Markov you can have in my eyes, as neither are really standout players anymore.  Jokinen is doing well mostly because he's with Malkin, though his playoff success will have the Penguins thinking of retaining him, so he may cost you to get as well.  

Your last trade idea...  that one is interesting to me.  Edmonton would LOVE to have Lundqvist I'm sure, and solve their goalie problems.  They did just acquire Viktor Fasth and Ben Scrivens though, so I don't know if they'd be too keen on surrending Jordan Eberle to anybody.  He's a great young talent and he'll only get better.  

Well done for your first post my friend.  You have a serious revamp in mind for your team.  You won't see all of this, of that I think we're both certain, but the off season is always interesting.  And if the Pens close your boys out friday night, you may very well see some serious changes in the offseason!  

This.

Take it from a Sharks fan who watched some pretty easy goals get let in by Niemi. You should count your blessings to Have Lundqvist. He is one of the few goaltenders in the league who I think deserves that much money

Wow.... like @Polaris922 said, "A lot to digest there"

First off, welcome to the forums @IAMSection407MSG .

Do please go over and make an intro thread on the new members section and tell us a smidge about yourself, your team, etc...would be nice to know a bit about they guy/gal behind the interesting posts.... :)

As for your armchair GM'ing here...umm, are you SURE you don't follow the NBA as well? I mean, I haven't seen this many wholesale team swap-outs since the Knicks and Mavericks just decided "hell, let's just have all our guys switch uniforms and play in the other city from now on"  :lol:

Just kidding on that last bit...I know almost NOTHING of the NBA, the Knicks and Mavericks did no such thing (that I know of!), but I think most get my drift:  the NBA usually does crazy things like trade off entire chunks of their teams in crazy multi player deals, whereas the NHL takes a more conservative approach to that (usually anyways..).

Some interesting ideas you posted, for sure, many having a slim to none chance of happening, however, some as others pointed out, getting Bickell in the ranks and possibly signing a guy like Statsny are a plausible possibility.

One thing I DO feel will happen with the Rangers, win or lose in these playoffs, is the team will continue to evolve to be a more 'Vigneault-like' team.

That is simply a natural progression whenever any coach takes over for another (Torts in this case) and their styles are vastly different.

The personnel who are there will simply HAVE to adapt to the new coach and style (or perhaps the new coach adapts to the players, though it is usually the former that happens), or they won't be there, replaced by players that CAN play the style, tempo, and strategies the new coach is trying to employ.

In Vigneault's case, I question some of his methods, but there is no denying the success he had with the Canucks, and like them or not, they were a viable Stanley Cup contender (a sure fire playoff contender) almost the entire time Vigneault ran the team from the bench.

No doubt New York expects the same out of his teams now...and will most likely accommodate any change in personnel he would like to achieve his goals.

Let's face it: Before Vigneault, the Rangers were more of a grinding, defensive, more workmanlike group, and while that was fine for making them competitive night in, night out, they did have the big flaw that their offensive output suffered and that also tended to frustrated some of the star players who wanted to be a bit more creative on the ice.

Also, when the Rangers traded for Rick Nash, that DRASTICALLY changed the team dynamics and how they can go about approaching games using the previous style simply because the Rangers lost so much of what made that work (Dubinsky, Anisimov), then on top of that, not being able to re-sign a very solid 3rd liner/sometimes 2nd liner like Brandon Prust, and the players tiring of Coach Tortorella's taskmaster style of coaching, simply put the nail in the coffin of the Rangers being able to compete in the same manner as they did before.

Enter Alain Vigneault and HIS ideas of what it takes to be a contender, night in, night out....and like I said, he and Torts are like night and day and the Rangers roster will eventually reflect that.

In the meantime, I certainly hope the NHL does NOT take a page out of the NBA's "Screwed Up Guide to Running a League" and allow 10 or 12 man trades between teams  :P

I know the NHL has their own issues in regards to running their league but at least they tend to give fans of the sport some reasons to NOT have to look at team programs at the start of every year due to massive swaps between teams happening on a regular basis!

Again, welcome aboard, IAMSection, hope you stay active......and errr, keep armchair GM'ing.

Whether it is all plausible or not, still makes for very interesting opinions and reading. 

See ya round the boards!

This.

Take it from a Sharks fan who watched some pretty easy goals get let in by Niemi. You should count your blessings to Have Lundqvist. He is one of the few goaltenders in the league who I think deserves that much money

Quote myself to emphasize the last few games.

Lundqvist is the reason you guys advanced.

I'm new to this site. I love playing Armchair GM and always approach moves from both sides. I'm one of the most unbiased fans you'll meet because I love the game of hockey. So, I was hoping fans of other teams could help out here.

First, welcome. 

Second why do you want to blow up the Rangers? I could understand a post coming from a Pens fan (snickers: sorry polaris / b21 and that Jack Nicholson guy). 

But your team is in the conference finals. 

I hate their style of play, but will admit that they are skilled and well coached. 

Perhaps you should repost your comments prior to the NHL draft. :-) 

I am joking of course. 

Let me start with Callahan...why O why did you trade him away?  A really bad move by Sather imo.  Sather is the first change I'd make for your team as he truly doesn't like or get the need for the heart and soul guys like Prust, Dubinsky, and Callahan.  

I agree with that as well re: sather. There are two moves that just keep me scratching my head: The Nash trade and the St Louis trade. 

Both of those players were much better for their former teams. I will bash Nash more as I think that St Louis was more of a square peg into a round whole kind of trade. Its interesting to me that the OP did not bash nash at all. I am not a Rangers fan and I bash him all day long, 7 days a week and twice on sunday. If I was a rangers fan, I would be driving around town in dark tinted windows (joking). 

• Like 1