Patrick Maroon tearing it up for the Ducks

Can this really be happening?  Patrick Maroon is turning into a star before our eyes. His skating has improved vastly this year, his hands have always been good. I know he blew up on the coach for the Phantoms, basically forcing the Flyers hands, but it sucks to see this guy dominating. He is a 6'6 monster who gets better with each passing game. Needless to say, just the Flyers luck.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/06/rookie-forward-patrick-maroon-fabulous-for-anaheim-ducks

Maroon is definitely having a nice playoffs but "star" is bit overboard for a guy who scored 11 goals and 29 assists this year.

He has been very good but I think it is putting the cart before the horse at this point. Don't see this turning into another Sharpe scenario honestly ...  although, given the Flyers past this could very well turn into another one of "those" situations :huh:

Edited by murraycraven

Maroon always had size and hands. He also had issues, which is why he was shipped off for a bag of pucks. Sometimes that's what it takes for a guy to "get it". Maroon is also 25, so it's not like he's a teenager. The word "star" is definately over the top. He's having  a nice playoff run.

Brayden Schenn had a much better year than him at 22 and people are asking what's wrong with him. And Schenn isn't playing with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, which may inflate his stats slightly. One need only look at future Flyer messiah Bobby Ryans post Getzlaf/Perry stats which were very similiar to Schenns output this year.

And Schenn isn't playing with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, which may inflate his stats slightly

that is a huge part of it IMO FC...  As you and I both stated Maroon is not a "star."   He is a kid that had issues in the past and now at 25 is getting his shot and doing well but he is not a star.   Glad to see him playing well and hopefully his head is on straight these days. 

Other than this being a "feel good" story I dont think this will come as one of the Sharp-esque or Williams type situations.

Edited by murraycraven

I don't really see him as a star. I feel like he's more of a flash in the pan right now. He's having a strong PO, but he's got a pretty simple role right now. Get the puck to Selanne and crash the net. Same on the PP... make space for Getz and crash the net. The Ducks have a lot of weapons and they're making good use of his size, but I just don't see him having sustained success after this. we'll seeeeeeee.... but, he's a role player dude. 

also, fwiw... they're currently LOSING> 

• Like 1

Can this really be happening?  Patrick Maroon is turning into a star before our eyes. His skating has improved vastly this year, his hands have always been good. I know he blew up on the coach for the Phantoms, basically forcing the Flyers hands, but it sucks to see this guy dominating. He is a 6'6 monster who gets better with each passing game. Needless to say, just the Flyers luck.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/06/rookie-forward-patrick-maroon-fabulous-for-anaheim-ducks

but he is still even with improved skating...still slooooooooooooooow and turns like a battle ship....they are better off with out him it seems but really this trade i think might have slapped him with reality

@OccamsRazor

Exactly. Apparently he'd had several run-ins with teammates AND coaches, and Holmgren had to show up at Glen Falls? (I believe) to straighten out the mess. I'm not 100% on this but it's the story I remember...and you don't boot your top scorer off a team for a minor first offence.

"Sitting out like that, being sent home. It's a reality check. You look in the mirror and realize what you did and try to fix it."

But seriously what is it with these guys who get the proverbial "change of scenery" from here and go on to succeed???

This is one case in which I think the "change of scenery" was essential to the player - and I don't often think that.

He clearly had attitude issues in Adirondack and it was essentially getting cut, being told to go home and not play, and then traded that really woke him up on it.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2011/11/14/2556908/patrick-maroon-phantoms-crunch-anaheim-ducks

@OccamsRazor

Exactly. Apparently he'd had several run-ins with teammates AND coaches, and Holmgren had to show up at Glen Falls? (I believe) to straighten out the mess. I'm not 100% on this but it's the story I remember...and you don't boot your top scorer off a team for a minor first offence.

"Sitting out like that, being sent home. It's a reality check. You look in the mirror and realize what you did and try to fix it."

Yes it was pretty bad what he did, threatening a coach i think...IIRC it was something like that...no matter they've moved on and i'd keep it that way.

Ok, I will admit, star was way overblowing his overall play....but the fact remains, this guy has a decent amount of upside for a giant forward. Kinda reminding me a bit of Bickell's run last year, although Bickell could skate circles around Maroon. At worst he will be a useful double digit goal guy, at best, maybe a 25 goal scorer who has a nice mean streak and a nice physical presence. Those kinda guys are tough to find in this league, so the upside (even at 25) is for real. Classic late bloomer written all over him, took time to mentally mature and let his skating catch up to his huge frame. He'll never be a quick moving guy, but with his wicked hands, even being a passable average skater can give him real value in this league.....didn't he assault the coach for the Phantoms, or threaten to...something like that. Don't blame the Flyers at all for shipping him out, like I said, he forced their hand....and yeah, totally agree, certainly no Sharp, but thought it was worth the thread to point out has at least become a legit forward in this league.