The Redemption of Randy Carlyle?

Darren Dreger recently stated that it looks as though Randy Carlyle may survive to piss on his goalies another day with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Oh yeah, and that other thing he does for them...coaching, I think it's called?

Obviously unconfirmed speculation at this point, but one has to wonder if the Leafs' brass aren't looking to shift the blame to personnel rather than their coaching staff. Or perhaps, Brendan Shanahan is taking the patient approach and seeing what happens before making any decisions.

To be fair to Carlyle, just the short season before last his team looked to be on the up and up. Even this season they were winning until the collapse for the record books. But they lost their identity, and they lost their PK. Also, Randy stands accused of starting his answer to every interview question with the word "Again," even when he clearly has never discussed the subject at hand before.

I don't think Carlyle is a bad coach, but his performance this past season leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not necessarily against keeping Carlyle around, but after a collapse like that (the third collapse in a row), SOMEthing needs to change.

It should be an interesting offseason regardless.

At this point I'm almost wondering if the Leafs might accidently tank themselves into contention eventually, in spite of their best attempts to sabotage the franchise (which, to be honest, would be akin to attempting to sabotage Keanu Reeves' ability to act....like, what's the point?)

Edited by Commander Clueless

@flyercanuck

Carlyle's system this season was to have the team put their hands over their heads and assume the fetal position whenever in the defensive zone and hope the bad guys eventually get bored and go away.

The way I saw this offseason going, based on Shanahan and Leiweke's press conference talking about "culture change", was one of three ways:

1) Change the coach and hope the players buy into the new coach's system.

2) Overhaul to the players to fit Carlyle's style better and hope they buy into Carlyle's system, unlike the last group.

3)  Attempt to invent a device that swaps the players' personalities with that of their counterparts from an alternate dimension where the team is successful.

With option #1 officially crossed out, I think Shanny might be leaning towards #3.

To be fair, they are changing the assistant coaches...so there is that.

Reports seem to suggest that not only are the Leafs not firing Carlyle, they actually extended him for 2 more years after next year.

Keeping him around was somewhat within the realm of reason. Extending him invokes confusion.

Much confusion.

They're extending him?? When you said redemption for Randy Carlyle I thought they were getting 5 cents for taking him to the recycling center.

:ph34r:

They're extending him?? When you said redemption for Randy Carlyle I thought they were getting 5 cents for taking him to the recycling center.

:ph34r:

I'm at a bit of a loss for words at the moment.

I'm assuming this decision involved compromising pictures of some sort.

Either that, or some sort of elaborate ploy to keep Shanny's enemies guessing.

Edited by Commander Clueless