Randy Carlyle Given Two Year Extension

So I started a topic on my good buddy Randy in the Leafs section, but I figured I'd post this in here as well as he not only didn't get fired, but also received a 2 year contract extension. Which I find to be odd at best.

At least now I have a reason to post it in the "Around the NHL" section so that people can actually find it without having to get lost on their way to the Flyers board. :P

Thoughts on this oddity? I'm assuming since Shanahan is new at this, it's merely a case of him accidently pushing the "Extend" button on his desk instead of the "Fire" button. :ph34r:

I should add that the Leafs at least had the decency to scapegoat their assistant coaches.

Edited by Commander Clueless

Carlyle is a good coach, I cannot for the life of me figure out what happened last year. A LOT of the blame falls upon him to be sure, mostly for the way that he absolutely ruined Reimer and then when he needed him for the stretch run his psyche was destroyed.

Do you know Reimers last two wins were both in relief AFTER Bernier came out from getting hurt? He lost his last ten starts. I think Carlyle is so far in his head that when he has to think about a start he tenses up so tight that you couldn't drive a bobby pin between his butt cheeks with a jack hammer.

So yeah, Carlyle cost you guys a shot at the postseason by ruining Reimer, but 18 other guys on the ice had a little bit to do with it. I don't know if I would have extended him, what with Babcock making no bones about it that he wants to see where the Wings are at next year before deciding to either coach there again or consider other offers a s a free agent.

@yave1964

I don't necessarily disagree with their choice to keep Carlyle around. I didn't think it was likely, but it was certainly possible.

But an extension? That's mind boggling.

Coach out his final year and go from there, sure, but extend him for two more years past that? After the season he just had? Colour me confused.

I just want to clarify my confusion a bit. Carlyle, like any good coach, has his strengths and weaknesses.

However, for those of you that aren't aware, the Maple Leafs just finished a season under Carlyle in which they set an all time NHL record for most shots against over 82 games. Effectively, we just witnessed one of, if not the, worst puck possession teams ever to play the game at the NHL level.

But I think I figured the extension out. I was operating under the initial assumption that the extension was, by it's nature, a reward. That was my mistake. It's clearly intended as a punishment.

@yave1964

I don't necessarily disagree with their choice to keep Carlyle around. I didn't think it was likely, but it was certainly possible.

But an extension? That's mind boggling.

Coach out his final year and go from there, sure, but extend him for two more years past that? After the season he just had? Colour me confused.

Agreed. A text bubbles filled with question marks appeared over my head when I saw "extension"

@Commander Clueless

Ya, I don't think the parts that make up that roster are capable of playing his system. Laviolette might have been a better fit, and Carlysle better in nashville.

Or better yet, just have the Leafs and Preds swap rosters. Bingo.

I can't help but wonder if Carlyle thought he was signing his resignation papers when he signed this extension. That'll learn him to read the fine print. ;)

Edited by Commander Clueless