Ekblad named OHL Defenceman Of The Year

flyercanuck

To noones surprise Barrie Colt Aaron Ekblad wins the Max Kaminsky Award as the OHLs top blueliner. After winning the best offensive AND defensive defenceman in the coaches poll this didn't really shock anyone. Ekblad finished the year with 23 goals and 30 assists in 58 games.He becomes the 3rd ever 18 year old to win the award.

@flyercanuck  Anyone who takes an offensive player over Aaron at the draft in Philly deserves to troll in a quagmire of losing. He is the real deal, anytime you combine the best shut down talent with a wickedly high offensive ceiling AND awesome size, that is a winning formula. The shut down skill makes him a lock to be a legit NHL talent, the offense propels him into the guaranteed star stratosphere. Exblad has can't miss written all over him. He is not only the best player, he is the safest pick....a GM's dream.

Was not around when the Colts got knocked out, what happened....just curious, what is your take?

@flyercanuck  Anyone who takes an offensive player over Aaron at the draft in Philly deserves to troll in a quagmire of losing. He is the real deal, anytime you combine the best shut down talent with a wickedly high offensive ceiling AND awesome size, that is a winning formula. The shut down skill makes him a lock to be a legit NHL talent, the offense propels him into the guaranteed star stratosphere. Exblad has can't miss written all over him. He is not only the best player, he is the safest pick....a GM's dream.

Was not around when the Colts got knocked out, what happened....just curious, what is your take?

Jammer, Thanks for the incite. Ekblat apparently is the whole package. A once in a generation defenceman. Any guesses what the Flyers would have to give up, to get him (assuming the No1 pick is available)?

(...)

He is the real deal, anytime you combine the best shut down talent with a wickedly high offensive ceiling AND awesome size, that is a winning formula. The shut down skill makes him a lock to be a legit NHL talent, the offense propels him into the guaranteed star stratosphere. Exblad has can't miss written all over him. He is not only the best player, he is the safest pick....a GM's dream.

(...)

Totally agree with you. I just hope Florida picks Ekblad instead of Reinhart or Bennett (they need a D-man, not a center, right?), because I'm not sure playing in Buffalo would be the best option for him.

Jammer, Thanks for the incite. Ekblat apparently is the whole package. A once in a generation defenceman. Any guesses what the Flyers would have to give up, to get him (assuming the No1 pick is available)?

To much....it would rip our core apart. Can't even begin to think how much it would cost, but something like Simmonds, Morin and least a few first rounders....just to start out, prob much more than that. I'm sure Vorachek would be brought into the conversation, they would want guaranteed stuff along with a big haul of potential.

I think Ekblad is going to be a very good #2 in the NHL. He'll be #1 on most teams but really I don't see him as a true #1. His size helps him a lot in junior but won't be such an advantage in the NHL. His skating isn't elite either, though there's nothing wrong with it (it's kind of a Gretzky hunched over stride) His shot is excellent, either wrist or slapper. He's got a great first pass out of his zone and is good at throwing it around on the pp. His hockey sense is top shelf. He takes care of his own end really well, and gets his long stick with his great reach in everything. I wish he'd be a bit more physical but at least he plays smart. I only hope whoever drafts him sends him back after 9 games.

Barrie ran into the defensive wall that is North Bay. They sit back and wait for mistakes and then make you pay. Boring but effective. I couldn't believe they beat Oshawa, let alone sweep them. But I got Guelph right to win it all in the O Now they just have to beat a well rested London again.