Phaneuf on the market

He's signed for 7 years, at a cap hit of $7 million/year.  

Not trying to hammer you for suggesting it; but No, no, no...a hundred million times NO.  

If the Flyers are taking on that kind of cap hit for a Dman, just go get Weber.   :)  :ph34r:

He's signed for 7 years, at a cap hit of $7 million/year.  

Not trying to hammer you for suggesting it; but No, no, no...a hundred million times NO.  

If the Flyers are taking on that kind of cap hit for a Dman, just go get Weber.   :)  :ph34r:

Yeah lets get all the Leaf and Islander defenseman on the market!!! By then 1st overall pick will be ours!!!!! Muuuuaaaahhhhaaaahhhaaa! No way they can deny them then!!!!

By the way for those who don't knkw that is a joke...hell no. Pass!!!

Har-har-har. What kind of a team signs a guy to a new longterm contract and then trades him before it even kicks in? :blink:

What kind of team signs their captain to a long term contract and then ships him out?

Fixed it for you :D

As a Wings fan, sure, absolutely as long as the Leafs pick up a couple of million a year from his contract and take Stephen Weiss off of our hands...... That way Toronto can have Weiss and Clarkson on the same line together.

You know, normally I would say that a guy like Phaneuf is VERY much a "Flyers type" player....big, strong, hard shot, heavy hitter and quite possibly, about as dense as you can get on the ice when it comes to coverage, positioning, and recognizing who exactly is streaking through the neutral zone with the puck.

Buuuut...I get the sense that the Flyer fanbase here would love to see a guy who can actually, gasp, PLAY good defense...particularly with the money this guy is making.

Not saying the Flyer FO would agree with that, but I honestly think the Flyers would do well in trying to sign a more reliable defenseman that could be available, or just go with the young guys they already have as I suspect Phaneuf will make the same kinds of mistakes tactically one would see out of rookies and younger defensemen anyways.

Look, not saying a guy like Dion has no value to any club.

A club that already has pretty solid defensemen could probably use a guy like him to do what he does and could probably live with defensive gaffes you get out of him.

Flyers are NOT that team. Really, if you are wanting your young D-men (or ANY D-men for that matter) to learn smarter defensive play, then Phaneuf is not the guy you want them learning it from.

No for Philly....though  teams like, oh, say,  Nashville, Boston, Minnesota, St. Louis, or Chicago who already have solid D-men that can cover for Phaneuf's defense, but can use his physicality and heavy shot may want to look into a possible trade.

Minny and Chicago though, have exceptional skating ability almost top to bottom on their teams, and I am not sure if Phaneuf would be fast enough to be up to par for either over the long haul.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Rofl. If it were only 3 more years or something, then I would say take Kennedy, Stuart and Havlat for him and we have a deal. But 7 years? Phaneuf has gone downhill at a time when he is supposed to be peaking. MAYBE a change of scenery would help, but 7 years at 7 million is godawful risky

• Like 2

Rofl. If it were only 3 more years or something, then I would say take Kennedy, Stuart and Havlat for him and we have a deal. But 7 years? Phaneuf has gone downhill at a time when he is supposed to be peaking. MAYBE a change of scenery would help, but 7 years at 7 million is godawful risky

You, sir, have a gift for understatement. Bravo! :D

@ Jmdodgesrt4

A big hell NO, he's the expensive version of Luke Schenn, he's not a leader, he sucks at defense and he's not a number one defenseman which is what the Flyers are looking for. If the Flyers traded for him I'd have to consider cheering for another team.

@ Jmdodgesrt4

A big hell NO, he's the expensive version of Luke Schenn, he's not a leader, he sucks at defense and he's not a number one defenseman which is what the Flyers are looking for. If the Flyers traded for him I'd have to consider cheering for another team.

I feel the exact same way...not many things on this planet can make me want out of being a Flyers fan...but Phaneuf is one of them. I want no part of that big ***** on my team. The guy rarely fights anyone tough, cause he is actually scared....lol, and when he does fight, he picks smaller guys with no experience. A horrible leader, horrible d-man who will only get worse. He already might be the worst in his own zone in the entire league. The only saving grace is his shot on the pp, but that is not worth 7 mill a year, and that is the only real skill he brings to the table.

Thank you for this, I have hummed this song since the moment he was drafted. And now this will appear everywhere as this is now perhaps my most favorite thing ever  :D

Still don't want him on the Flyers. :D

The thing is, I would not mind him terribly in teal if Toronto ate a bit of his salary and they sheltered him a bit like they do with Boyle. His defense, while not great looks even worse than it is due to the way Toronto misuses him.

The thing is, I would not mind him terribly in teal if Toronto ate a bit of his salary and they sheltered him a bit like they do with Boyle. His defense, while not great looks even worse than it is due to the way Toronto misuses him.

I was just thinking...

If Tronno kept half his salary for the duration of the deal, I might consider Phaneuf to partner with MacDonald as a second pairing.

Might.

Depending on what sort of pick(s) Tronno is throwing in with Phaneuf :ph34r:

Dang, you guys are harsh. And here I was thinking I was a bit hard on the big goof. :P

Reality of it is that Phaneuf is not nearly as bad as a lot of people think. Earlier on in the season, Phaneuf was playing great. During the collapse, however, he did himself no favours. 

That contract is LONG though, and $7 million per year is crazy UFA signing type money for him. I'm sure some crazy GM would have offered him $7 mil in UFA, but that's no hometown discount that's for sure. Yikes.

Still, I don't see how this rumour makes any sense. I thought the Leafs were trying to improve their backend? Colour me confused (in addition to clueless!). I don't see him being moved because without him the Leafs have some potential and not much else. The Force is with us, but that's about it.

If Toronto ate salary for him, I'm sure they'd expect a pretty decent return. At a lower cost, Phaneuf is a pretty decent defenseman. Problem is, the Leafs have him and then a hope and a prayer after him....

I was just thinking...

If Tronno kept half his salary for the duration of the deal, I might consider Phaneuf to partner with MacDonald as a second pairing.

Might.

Depending on what sort of pick(s) Tronno is throwing in with Phaneuf :ph34r:

I fully understand disliking his contract (trust me, I don't like it at all either), but yeah, half his salary for 7 years and the Leafs are sending a pick? That's monkey nipple madness. :lol:

Edited by Commander Clueless