Why Shero is not the problem...

B21

I don't agree with the "Lundquist stole that series" line of thought. There were stretches where the Penguins played well the last three games, and I thought they played well in game 7. But the team that played the best hockey won this series.

Lundquist made 4 or 5 wow saves... But for the most part he saw all the shots because they came from the outside from game 5 on out.

I do think the Pens as currently constructed lack the right kind of leadership, and that is on Shero and that's not for a lack of trying. Guys that pay the price to win have moved on for various reasons, and since Sidney has won the cup new guys don't feel comfortable coming into the team at the deadline and asserting themselves the way Bill Guerin did. Morrow and Iginla aren't chopped liver but they were not good in Pgh , because how do you come into that room and tell the best player in the world who has won a cup he's acting like an ass? Until Sidney changes this looks to be the team's ceiling. With his brain injury that may never happen , may happen next year , or when he's in his thirties, but his physical prime isn't syncing with his maturity level.

Just as an example in that series, how did 'star" player James Neal look without Malkin? Well he scored as many goals as Jason "I played 2 NHL games before the playoffs and was never drafted" Akeson did in one round. And other than taking the odd stupid penalty, was invisible.

@mojo1917

Apparently you missed game 7. ALL Lundqvist.

@flyercanuck

The tops two lines all but disappeared. Jokinen did well, and Malkin was okay but Crosby, Neal, Kunitz... Where were they? Letang?

I will give Letang a pass because of what he went through this season. What did he end up playing, less than half the season? Hesitant because he was fearing another episode?

Jokinen seems like a solid player, do you think that will try to re-sign him?

@Polaris922

I already mentioned Neal being a product of Malkin....last year. Kunitz is the same with Crosby. And Crosby, for whatever reason, wasn't going. He sure didn't look like the guy who ran away with the scoring title. I'll give letang a pass too, though you already know what I'd say.

Damn - I knew I said "Shero isn't a bad gm, he's just not great either."

And "and so far he's done a good, but hardly great job."

And then "Which leads me to believe he's more good than great."

Followed by "I'd say there's maybe a handful of great gms. I just don't see Shero as one."

Kuato-esque. ;)

@mojo1917

Apparently you missed game 7. ALL Lundqvist.

@flyercanuck

The tops two lines all but disappeared. Jokinen did well, and Malkin was okay but Crosby, Neal, Kunitz... Where were they? Letang?

seven games in a series bud,game 7 = 1 game and he was good, 35 saves is not too shabby but really there were how many really good chances against ?  8 -9. and of those i'll bet at least 5 he saw the puck the whole way.  The best save I saw as on the Kunitz deflection that was amazing.  

No it wasn't the King stealing the series , just one game.

Your guys didn't show up for long stretches of this series and that is on the leadership DFB, Crosby , et al  .  actually I thought DFB coached a good game 7 , he had the Pens trying to seal the wall on the forecheck, he double shifted his best player when he could, he reunited malkin , neal and joikenen.  

the inmates run that asylum though and it was too little too late.

@mojo1917

Oh no not the entire series, but the game that clinched it for sure.  What did he have?  A .972 save percentage?  And there as more than just the Kunitz opportunity.  He stopped Neal point blank with nobody close at least twice.  The guy is a stand up clutch goalie.  

@flyercanuck

He's taken the best available player at the time.  Sometimes that;s a forward, more often for us lately it's been defensemen.  I think the team was looking to get scoring wingers right NOW, for Crosby and Malkin, not when they develop in 4 or 5 years, and that's what makes it plausible.  Kunitz, Neal and Dupuis have all done just fine.  Losing Dupuis this season hurt for certain.  And Jokinen suprisingly was elevated by Malkin's play beyond expectations.  

As always, I agree Crosby and Malkin elevate those around them, but I still think Kunitz and Neal are a bit above average on their own.  Not all stars, but above average none the less.  

I will give Letang a pass because of what he went through this season. What did he end up playing, less than half the season? Hesitant because he was fearing another episode?

Jokinen seems like a solid player, do you think that will try to re-sign him?

I think it depends purely on what Jokinen wants money wise and who is the boss in the coming season.  There are a lot of people calling for some drastic changes, and Lemieux is one of them.