The subject of Race in the NHL

yave1964

In a wonderful double overtime thriller in the opener between Montreal and Host Boston, PK Subban scored the game winning goal. Racial tweets so dominated the Boston area that Bruin employees had to go public condemning the fans for their comments and stating in no uncertain terms that the Bruin organization did not condone such nonsense.

Race in the NHL has been an issue forever, ever since the first Swedes came to the states and were condemned for being too soft for the NHL, ever since the first boy from the United States dared to steal a job from a Canadian, the Russian were and still are proclaimed soft.

And now we have a problem with race being an issue in regards to black players.

Black players have been around in a small degree for quite a while, but race has never been an issue. Grant Fuhr and Iginla are HOFers and sure fired stars, but the majority of black players have been simple fill ins and extras.

Now we have two loud mouth vocal black players, Subban and Evander Kane whose race is a big deal.

I see them as separate entities, although both have been known to be unafraid to mention their race. Kane in my opinion is a proud 22 year old black man with enormous talent who has criticized the market it Winnipeg for being difficult on him because of his race, in my opinion while there may be some validity to his basic premise I feel he is making more of it than he needs to in an attempt to get out of Manitoba and to a city or Province with more than twenty people and an average winter temperature higher than zero and a little less snow. I feel Kane should be treated as his own worst enemy who is using race to escape playing in Winnipeg.

Which brings us to Subban.

He plays with heart and fire and overwhelming desire, he grabs his chest when he scores, he shows up the other team, he is hated by players and fans alike. And seldom do you hear an interview from him that goes longer than ninety seconds where he does not mention race. He is one of the top defenseman in the game, period, arguably the best player on his team which is giving conference champ Boston all they can handle and he never lets you forget that he is black.

Many people hate him because of his color. If a white (see Canadian farm boy) player played with his passion he would be treated as a national icon, instead Subban embraces his nationality and his heritage at the same time, Black first, Canadian second. It drives a lot of folks like Don Cherry nuts.

In fact the two most chest thumping self promoting players in the game are Ovechkin and Subban, and both are regularly criticized in the media, not for their race, of course but it is overtly an issue.

My opinion is as long as black players are quiet hard working role players they are okay. As long as they are quiet stars like Iginla that is allowed as well. But Subban breaks all the rules and he is despised for it. Kane, like I said is a different case, I actually am offended by Kane attempting to use his race to push for a trade. But Subban, while he drives me nuts and I wish someone would punch him in the face and knock him out cold at times, is hated by many simply for being a loud black man with a chip on his shoulder over his race.

In a wonderful double overtime thriller in the opener between Montreal and Host Boston, PK Subban scored the game winning goal. Racial tweets so dominated the Boston area that Bruin employees had to go public condemning the fans for their comments and stating in no uncertain terms that the Bruin organization did not condone such nonsense.

Race in the NHL has been an issue forever, ever since the first Swedes came to the states and were condemned for being too soft for the NHL, ever since the first boy from the United States dared to steal a job from a Canadian, the Russian were and still are proclaimed soft.

And now we have a problem with race being an issue in regards to black players.

Black players have been around in a small degree for quite a while, but race has never been an issue. Grant Fuhr and Iginla are HOFers and sure fired stars, but the majority of black players have been simple fill ins and extras.

Now we have two loud mouth vocal black players, Subban and Evander Kane whose race is a big deal.

I see them as separate entities, although both have been known to be unafraid to mention their race. Kane in my opinion is a proud 22 year old black man with enormous talent who has criticized the market it Winnipeg for being difficult on him because of his race, in my opinion while there may be some validity to his basic premise I feel he is making more of it than he needs to in an attempt to get out of Manitoba and to a city or Province with more than twenty people and an average winter temperature higher than zero and a little less snow. I feel Kane should be treated as his own worst enemy who is using race to escape playing in Winnipeg.

Which brings us to Subban.

He plays with heart and fire and overwhelming desire, he grabs his chest when he scores, he shows up the other team, he is hated by players and fans alike. And seldom do you hear an interview from him that goes longer than ninety seconds where he does not mention race. He is one of the top defenseman in the game, period, arguably the best player on his team which is giving conference champ Boston all they can handle and he never lets you forget that he is black.

Many people hate him because of his color. If a white (see Canadian farm boy) player played with his passion he would be treated as a national icon, instead Subban embraces his nationality and his heritage at the same time, Black first, Canadian second. It drives a lot of folks like Don Cherry nuts.

In fact the two most chest thumping self promoting players in the game are Ovechkin and Subban, and both are regularly criticized in the media, not for their race, of course but it is overtly an issue.

My opinion is as long as black players are quiet hard working role players they are okay. As long as they are quiet stars like Iginla that is allowed as well. But Subban breaks all the rules and he is despised for it. Kane, like I said is a different case, I actually am offended by Kane attempting to use his race to push for a trade. But Subban, while he drives me nuts and I wish someone would punch him in the face and knock him out cold at times, is hated by many simply for being a loud black man with a chip on his shoulder over his race.

I think he is hated because he can be a douchebag much of the time(Regardless of color). But that's just me.

I don't follow Evander Kane enough to know what is up in Winnipeg.

I had a long history of racist behaviour towards me when I was in high school(Skinhead filled high school in a small town where I was one of the only minorities), but the moment I was out of high school, I have not heard a peep over my race at all. In fact, the only time I get singled out is when i get asked to join groups(Work, etc) to promote diversity, and I usually tell them there is no need because I have been treated like just another guy since I got out of high school, and that is all I ever wanted.

I've gotta say that the majority of Subban's issues have arisen because he was super brash and cocky, not black.

Ditto for Kane.  He's flashed his money, fame, and loud mouth in the wrong environment.  Winnipeg is a blue collar city and probably didn't take the following photo well.  He hasn't performed to his billing either... and has been scratched a few times.

Any player, black/white/blue will receive negative attention if it's felt that they aren't pulling their weight.

E-Kane-cash-590x382.jpeg

I'm not saying that these guys haven't experienced racial difficulties.  I'm just saying that the majority of their issues are personality related, not race.

Edited by fishbulb

@fishbulb

Like I said a lot of Kane's difficulties have been of his own doing, and my opinion is he is trying to sabatoge his way out of Winnipeg. I fully expect he will be dealt this offseason.

Subban though, in my opinion is a colorful player who gets ripped on for his self promoting ways, and while many simply hate him for the sake of hating him, others do hate him for the color of his skin. But Subban brings up race constantly in almost every conversation.

I've gotta say that the majority of Subban's issues have arisen because he was super brash and cocky, not black.

Ditto for Kane.  He's flashed his money, fame, and loud mouth in the wrong environment.  Winnipeg is a blue collar city and probably didn't take the following photo well.  He hasn't performed to his billing either... and has been scratched a few times.

Any player, black/white/blue will receive negative attention if it's felt that they aren't pulling their weight.

E-Kane-cash-590x382.jpeg

I'm not saying that these guys haven't experienced racial difficulties.  I'm just saying that the majority of their issues are personality related, not race.

That was a nice post bulbster....I agree. You can't post a pic like that in a blue collar town like the Peg. Black, white or purple....they will hate you after posting a pic like that. Both Subban and Kane bring race to the forefront way to often, the use it as a built in excuse to behave however they want....and that is wrong.

I like PK.  I don't believe the reports of dislike from his teammates.  

I think he's a hell of a hockey player.  And, He's shown a lot of class in not reacting or replying about his treatment from that fool Therien. 

Brett Hull was, (and is), an ass.   He got a pass from the press.  If Hull could say and do what he did without censure, then why is PK pilloried. 

• Like 1

I think he's a hell of a hockey player.  And, He's shown a lot of class in not reacting or replying about his treatment from that fool Therien. 

Brett Hull was, (and is), an ass.   He got a pass from the press.  If Hull could say and do what he did without censure, then why is PK pilloried.

I think a lot of the whole Subban race issue is self inflicted, HE mentions it in damn near every interview I see him in. Maybe he hears it from fans and opponents on the ice more than anything and so that is why he seems so obsessed with the issue.

Not just Brett but his dad too. Bobby was/is about as big of a horses ass as the game has ever seen.

Yeah... I tried to defend Subban before.  Somebody posted a bunch of pictures showing him taking cheap shots at his teammates during practice.

But, he's a hell of a hockey player. 

I agree, and I feel like I see him ( Subban)maturing each day.

Subban has definitely come light years as far as his arrogance/media behaviour.... he had to.   No matter how talented you are these days, if you don't tow the company line, there are consequences.   Props to PK for rising above his earlier issues.