Throwing it out there: Jussi Jokinen

radoran

Left wing, UFA, having a bit of a coming out party (7 goals) this playoff. $3M this season.

A potential fit on the Flyers' top line?

Discuss.

but he is a natural LW we need a center we can put there.........plus he's on the wrong side of 35....nice try though.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

the Flyers' season has been over for awhile - good to see the Sarcasm Factor is still going strong.

I love Jokinen at his current (this past season) salary. Heading up to and probably over $3mil ... maybe we should see how we can shuffle the guys we already have. Yes it means so-and-so plays out of position - again. So what? BSchenn maybe ought to get used to the idea that he's a winger. And VLC...give him 2 months centering that 2nd line. WTF? He's not going anywhere.

Akeson, Laughton, a couple AHL D-men...they're all waiting for a chance. Maybe it's time we give them a long, serious look.

@canoli

What? You mean build and develop from within? Blasphemy!

Well, let's not entirely overstate here...

Jokinen is 31 as of April, with a 30, a 20 and 19 in 70 game seasons under his belt. Just had a nice 7g/10p playoff. We've all been talking about wanting to add a top line forward and a top pairing Dman. He's shown that he can be effective playing with talent and can play the shootout (a notable weakness of this club since always).

BSchenn didn't work as a second line winger, so I'm not entirely sanguine about him playing top line. There is no real "wing" in the system waiting for a chance (while I like Akeson, the answer to the top line he is not).

I'm just kicking tires. If he can be a consistent 20g/50p guy on the LW that can open up space in other areas for "internal" growth with 34-year-old former Tampa players.

I'm not saying go all Andrew MacDonald Ville Leino contract on him, but 3Y/$12M isn't out of the realm of possibility? Could that get him the chance for another pre-35 payday?

• Like 1

@radoran

The guy is a good player. I also like taking away from the Pens. He's also Finn which is like being a UV alumni IYHO. :wub:  I'd just like to get away from sticking our finger in the dyke and find someone who can play longterm. Easier said than done, I know. I'm certainly not against it. I'd also like to see what

this Rasmussen kid is all about.

@radoran

The guy is a good player. I also like taking away from the Pens. He's also Finn which is like being a UV alumni IYHO. :wub: I'd just like to get away from sticking our finger in the dyke and find someone who can play longterm. Easier said than done, I know. I'm certainly not against it. I'd also like to see what

this Rasmussen kid is all about.

I'll note that I started the Moulson thread before this post*, but your point is certainly well taken.

If only he played Junior... :wub:

There's no one about to step in and play "long term" in the system - so who's giving up the 25-27 year old proto-star for the next seven years?

Rasmussen? Oh, right, not the 55-year-old lefthander.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9985&lang=en

A big and strong player. Reads the game well. Good defensively. Somewhat limited offensively, but valuable as a role player. Drives the net, strong along the boards and in front of the crease. Has good hands and a good release. Good penalty killer.

* because I knew it was coming

@OccamsRazor

But this would be yet another buy high/grass is greener scenario. I'm only comfortable with this if Hextall sends a 2nd rounder for him prior to July 1st.

Yeah i like the kid and would welcome him but not sure if he could be the LW G and Jake need but at a reasonable price i'd bring him in and try him he can't be worse than Hartnell.

There is no real "wing" in the system waiting for a chance (while I like Akeson, the answer to the top line he is not).

who's to say for sure? His size / speed / skating ability and his intelligence look ready for NHL minutes. To skate alongside Giroux and Voracek? I don't know for sure but I think I like him better than blowning Big Money on Matt Moulson, thereby limiting Hextall's cap space to find some help on D.

Look I'm not saying let's *hand* Akeson the top line; just don't discount the possibility out of hand, the way you seem to. The guy is 23; he's far from done developing his hockey IQ.

What's with McGinn? Is he ever going to  get another look? He's a LWer. Did he "wow" everyone with the Flyers? Not really, though that first stint was pretty impressive - 3 goals in 3 games, all from driving the net, doing exactly what we want Giroux and Jake to do more of.

I would pass by the >$3mil forwards and put that money into finding defensive help. The D can't stay as is; maybe Lauridsen can grab a roster spot I don't know; I like him. But Mac, Streit, Coburn, LSchenn, Grossmann and maybe Kimmo - there's just not enough speed and puck-handling intelligence - not enough talent - to put together 2 sets of big-minute, all-situation pairs.

[edit: and then we still need a 3rd pair plus a 7th plus depth - a 3rd pair that isnt' another Parent/Krajicek embarrassment. We've already got plenty of candidates for 3rd-pair guys; it's the 24-minute guy(s) we truly need if we're going to become a better team imho.

The offense is in good shape all in all. I just rather spend the time, money and effort on the D, making them into something that's feared. Can it happen in one summer? Probably not. But let's not shoot ourselves in the foot (again) by blowing our cap space on forwards.]

Edited by canoli

If he can be a consistent 20g/50p guy on the LW

i think the flyers can already replicate that production from within.  if there is shopping to be done, it should be for a *real* 1st line LW.  30/70+ kind of guy.  shy of that, it's more of the best-fitting same, imo.

Left wing, UFA, having a bit of a coming out party (7 goals) this playoff. $3M this season.

Discuss.

He played with Malkin and/or Crosby.  Please adjust his point totals accordingly. :ph34r:  ;)

He played with Malkin and/or Crosby.  Please adjust his point totals accordingly. :ph34r:  ;)

So you're saying his point totals will go up when he plays with Giroux? :ph34r:

He hit 30 with Carolina.

i think the flyers can already replicate that production from within.  if there is shopping to be done, it should be for a *real* 1st line LW.  30/70+ kind of guy.  shy of that, it's more of the best-fitting same, imo.

Well, depending on the situation, I think that 20/50 could be a low floor.

Not entirely sold on Jokinen, but he did turn some heads this playoff (and at the right time). I can see some fool GM offering $5+M. I don't see him "worth" above $4.5M at the very top (and I wouldn't pay that if I were the Flyers).

The difference is getting known talent - Moulson (preferably) or Jokinen (probably not) - instead of testing Akeson or Raffl or McGinn or BSchenn or VLC.

The difference is getting known talent - Moulson (preferably) or Jokinen (probably not) - instead of testing Akeson or Raffl or McGinn or BSchenn or VLC.

i see what you are saying.  i just feel like it'd be another instance of 6-7th forward talent being plugged into the 1st line because there are no better options.  he might be a consistency-upgrade on a bunch of guys the flyers already have, but only just.  if some effort is expended this summer to upgrade the 1st line, then i want it actually upgraded, not just patched up with something that doesn't really fit but won't hurt.

i see what you are saying. i just feel like it'd be another instance of 6-7th forward talent being plugged into the 1st line because there are no better options. he might be a consistency-upgrade on a bunch of guys the flyers already have, but only just. if some effort is expended this summer to upgrade the 1st line, then i want it actually upgraded, not just patched up with something that doesn't really fit but won't hurt.

This. And the part about an exception for only a real top line winger.

I'd rather experiment from within the organization too. What ever happened to that whole giving guys a chance / blocking youth stuff. For Jussi Jokinen? Hahaha.

I see the sense in making it a "real" upgrade at LW but I also think offense should be a secondary concern to the defense. Jake and Giroux are not done improving, neither is Simmonds and BSchenn. Most of the other guys - Hall, Rinaldo, Hartnell etc. - we know what we have, what we'll get. Or else they're the younger guys who we can't really count on to deliver even 50 pts. VLC is a question mark but the 4 I named could be a catalyst to a much more potent 5 on 5 attack. IF they improve the right way it will help the whole team.

But I think the D is key. Get some defensive help and the offense automatically gets better.

Unfortunately this summer's crop of UFA/RFA D-men - barring a few exceptions isn't very exciting. So it'll likely mean trading someone of value to get someone of value.

One of the exceptions is PK Subban. He's changed for the better in a big way. He's not a defensive d-man but he would do wonders for the Flyers' game. I've gone from hating the guy to loving him. I think a lot of Flyers' fans might do the same if they see him more often.

Edited by canoli

I'd rather experiment from within the organization too

That is my philosophy too look within first then go outisde if that person isn't in the organization.

And by that i mean actually calling them up to play with the guys already on the Flyers. Not looking at to one or two guys among the just so so talent on the Phantoms and trying to project from that.

That has been tried over and over and it hasn't worked.

Then one of the young guys get away from here is given a legit chance somewhere else in the NHL lights it up and then everyone whines blah blah blah why did we let insert name go and he is splay well somewhere else crap.

Guys who project makes mistakes all the time in every sport the only tried and true way in to give them a legit chance. Surround them with talent and and good chance to blossom and then you can truly say yeah he sucks or (like Akeson) yeah he may work out if given more time.

So you're saying his point totals will go up when he plays with Giroux? :ph34r:

He hit 30 with Carolina.

He hit 30 once. 5 years ago. The only other time he broke 20 was playing on Malkin's line (and was "on pace" to break 20 in the latest lockout year).

So no - not breaking 30 with Giroux.  :)

He hit 30 once. 5 years ago. The only other time he broke 20 was playing on Malkin's line (and was "on pace" to break 20 in the latest lockout year).

So you're saying that all of his success wasn't simply a result of playing with Malkin and Crosby?

Agreed.

Discuss.

Soooooo he's not a center.....

Um, yeah I could give him a chance, just so long as he didn't cost too much. Ideally I'd like to have a 60 point guy on the top line with G and Jake, but I wouldn't turn Jussi away. Good suggestion Rad, now make it so.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Um, yeah I could give him a chance, just so long as he didn't cost too much. Ideally I'd like to have a 60 point guy on the top line with G and Jake, but I wouldn't turn Jussi away. Good suggestion Rad, now make it so.

Jokinen hit 30/60 with Carolina (and then dropped to essentially 20/50). Could he get back there with Giroux centering him? Maybe?

All comes down to cost - I don't expect to see Jussi in O&B.

forget forwards this summer concentrate the energy (and $$/cap space) on Defensive help!

[edit: yes I know the UFA picture for D-men this summer isn't great. In fact it sucks. But let's see what Hextall can do; everyone should be considered "tradeable" except a small handful: Giroux, Mason, Couturier, Simmonds are my keepers, YMMV.]

Edited by canoli

forget forwards this summer concentrate the energy (and $$/cap space) on Defensive help!

Problem is the blue line is pretty full, it feels like only tweaks are available back there. Improving the Flyers possession game might be the best way to improve the preformance of the defense.