This one has to hurt

pensuck

Up 3-1 In The Series And Being Cup Favorites Again. Ouch!!! Crosby Disappears During The Series And Who's To Blame? The Coach Of Course.

Plenty of blame to go around on this debacle. Me thinks though that Bylsma has danced his last hustle with the Pens as you have to do better than that with the level of talent at your disposal.

Plenty of blame to go around on this debacle. Me thinks though that Bylsma has danced his last hustle with the Pens as you have to do better than that with the level of talent at your disposal.

Crosby was 4th or 5th all time points per game in playoff scoring in NHL history going into the series against Boston last year.  I still think he's hurt myself, but the guy skated his butt off.  Neal, Malkin and Kunitz all but disappeared too.  Lundqvist stole the series.  I think Bylsma needs to go.  As much as I've defended him in years past, he's done some very stupid things the past three playoff seasons, from bad line combinations to a lack of discipline.  I'm thinking new coach in 2014-2015. 

@flyersuck

It always hurts, but they were hardly Cup favorites this year.  Few thought they would come out of the East and fewer still thought they could beat whatever the West sends their way.  

I still think he's hurt myself, but the guy skated his butt off.

he did, no question the effort was there. I don't know whether he's still hurt or what but he sure never "found a way" as the saying goes. A lot of credit has to go to the Rags' Team D - us Flyers' fans experienced it for 7 games too and our best guy never "found a way" either.

Still I was surprised that Crosby wasn't at least *some* kind of offensive factor - and let's face it he really wasn't. Like you said he skated hard, created some chances but the finish - the production - just didn't happen.

Jones and JR were talking a bit about how frustrated he was and how he's letting that frustration hurt his game. I'm sure you heard it. They said it goes all the way back to the Boston series last spring. I don't know about that; as great as he is - and he's one of the best to ever play in the NHL - at some point you have to give the opposition credit for shutting him down.

I'm no fan of 87 but I hardly blame him for losing 3 straight to the Rangers, who are playing like they're on a mission.

Edited by canoli

@Polaris922

@B21

@nossagog

I feel your pain, guys. Playoff hockey is really about who's hot at the right time, and who's clicking at the right time. Seems like the Rangers are clicking. Except for Rick Nash. Most overrated player ever. 30 NHL playoff games... 2 goals. None this year. Softest 6'4" player I've ever watched, he plays a small man's game.

Some dude posted this as a comment to an article on philly.com. Not sure if it's accurate, but it's telling if it is. I'm surprised by this as I always thought of Crosby as a big game guy.

CROSBY STATS WITH PENS FACING ELIMINATION: 
2009 - game 6 vs Detroit: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2009 - game 7 vs Detroit: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2010 - game 7 vs Habs: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2012 - game 5 vs Flyers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2012 - game 6 vs Flyers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2013 - game 4 vs Bruins: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0
2014 - game 7 vs. Rangers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

I'm surprised by this as I always thought of Crosby as a big game guy.

So inother words...  Crosby is no Patrick Kane! 

I didn't expect those results either, I guess we are misled by his GWG earning a gold medal in the Olympics. 

My sympathy to our Pens fans.  And I do mean it - no sarcasm, no mockery. This is no fun.  We have all been there...

I do feel bad for Crosby.  He played really hard.  But there was hardly any support.  Goes to show this is a team sport; one man cannot do it all, no matter HOW good he really is.

I can't see Bylsma returning.  When you blow a 3-1 lead, a coach *must* take responsibility. 

Edited by Mad Dog

they mentioned it last night - all the announcers - getting Suter up with Crosby was a smart move. I thought that line came to life right away. I don't remember how often that happened in the series...

@Polaris922

@B21

@nossagog

I feel your pain, guys. Playoff hockey is really about who's hot at the right time, and who's clicking at the right time. Seems like the Rangers are clicking. Except for Rick Nash. Most overrated player ever. 30 NHL playoff games... 2 goals. None this year. Softest 6'4" player I've ever watched, he plays a small man's game.

Some dude posted this as a comment to an article on philly.com. Not sure if it's accurate, but it's telling if it is. I'm surprised by this as I always thought of Crosby as a big game guy.

CROSBY STATS WITH PENS FACING ELIMINATION: 

2009 - game 6 vs Detroit: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2009 - game 7 vs Detroit: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2010 - game 7 vs Habs: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2012 - game 5 vs Flyers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2012 - game 6 vs Flyers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2013 - game 4 vs Bruins: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

2014 - game 7 vs. Rangers: goals - 0 assists - 0 points - 0

I don't have the time to research all of that for accuracy, but I know off the top of my head at least 5 of them are correct without looking.  But you have to wonder why?  I mean, the guy was 4th or 5th in all time NHL playoff history at points per game until the Boston series last year.  I'm sure that's slipped a few pegs now, but with all the success he HAS had...  the only thing I can really think of is all of the obstruction that gets permitted when the playoffs start.  The game changes.  Not just physically, but the officials allow the Devils style hockey to take hold again, and that always hurts the best players.  

I don't have the time to research all of that for accuracy, but I know off the top of my head at least 5 of them are correct without looking.  But you have to wonder why?  I mean, the guy was 4th or 5th in all time NHL playoff history at points per game until the Boston series last year.  I'm sure that's slipped a few pegs now, but with all the success he HAS had...  the only thing I can really think of is all of the obstruction that gets permitted when the playoffs start.  The game changes.  Not just physically, but the officials allow the Devils style hockey to take hold again, and that always hurts the best players.  

That's a good point. Giroux finds a lot less time and space in the playoffs, and the other team does everything to slow him down and get their shots in. Over time, that takes a toll on a player.