Throwing It Out There: Matt Moulson

radoran

Yes. This is the UFA I would target if I were Hextall. I like his offensive game; however, his defensive game is something that is less desired. It would be nice to see what he gets on the open market. The good news is Holmgren is gone so there shouldn't be a gross over payment and I'd expect he'd net around 3.5mm a year for maybe 5 years. The downside is that the Wild have an crap ton of cap space and may lock him up long term.

I think a lot of tinkering revolves around moving either VLC or Hartnell. 

Proven 30+ goal scorer, plays LW, UFA.

Look good on G's wing with Voracek?

Discuss.

I like this guy too but the limited cap space tells me someone surely has to go otherwise it will be impossible to fit him in. Several holes to fill with this team and a top line LW has to be top priority. Hexy has his hands full. Sure wish they wouldn't have traded and signed Amac now. Kinda handcuffs them.

@OccamsRazor

If they didn't get Andrew Macdonald they would have had to sign an over priced defender elsewhere. I don't mind the move one bit.

They needed help on the blue line so the move is ok in my book. 

I would have preferred to try a young guy with full training camp and preseason not sure if he would have been better but he would have been cheaper...hell or even just let Gus play the spot and take his lumps next season not yo yoing him in and out like this year everytime he made mistake, God knows Amac made his this past playoffs.

Doesn't matter they're stuck with him now.

@OccamsRazor

"Doesn't matter they're stuck with him now."

Sigh. Agreed. 

Here's to hoping Hexy hates bad contracts more than we do.

But you're right they needed him. I'm not trying to be negative my thing is i believe in looking within first.

Perfect example i was saying since the start of the season mostly after their early season struggles to try Akeson before some crazy roster altering trade why not look within first.

All i heard was he wasn't ready he ain't a NHLer yah dah yah dah....and i was wondering how everyone could just make that assumption when the kid has only gotten one game in the NHL (one in which he scored a goal by the way) so i wanted to look at the guys they already had...first.

Then if he can't cut it then look else where.  

Well i'm just saying the same should have been done before trading for Amac look at Ollie, Manning first before swinging the trade but they never even gave them one single game who knows they may have helped...or they may not have but all i wanted was a look before.

Then if they don't look good then swing the trade for Amac. Ollie looked pretty good with Schenn the year before when all the injuries to the blueline happened...he should have gotten a look at the time for the under talented Phantoms squad he was a +12...damn good numbers for a stay at home 6-6 225 Dman...but not a wiff.

Anyways to late now i fully expect Ghost to get a looooooog look heading into next year. Hey there is some good news with Amac he doesn't have a NTC or NMC so he is tradable....Hexy will have to work the phones.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

@OccamsRazor

Yeah they really are mishandling Ollie and Gus. I hope Hextall can put an end to this and let our farm get a look before going the trade route. I seriously think Gus has to get a look now that Timmo may retire. 

Yes. And again i'm not saying they would be the answer but just relying on a scout to project from a no talent Phantoms squad to the next level has to be hard and how many times have we seen them say this guy isn't cut out blah blah blah and then he moves on to stick on another team just to light the Flyers up when they play verse him....

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes get rid VLC/Hartnell. D is were we go how about Anton Stralman I know the splash you want but hear make the D overall stronger. Had 3 d and 1 being Ghost,Olllie,Alt or Hagg. Let Gus play more!

If they didn't get Andrew Macdonald they would have had to sign an over priced defender elsewhere. I don't mind the move one bit.

As long as you realize that implicit in your post is that they did sign an overpriced defender...

:ph34r:

@radoran

Oh believe me I do. It would either be overpriced MacDonald or overpriced defender X,Y, or Z......

I really cannot wait to see what this summer has in store for the Flyers. I think the best FA pick-up would be no FA pick-up. Oh and to show VLC the door.  :ph34r:

@radoran

Oh believe me I do. It would either be overpriced MacDonald or overpriced defender X,Y, or Z......

I really cannot wait to see what this summer has in store for the Flyers. I think the best FA pick-up would be no FA pick-up. Oh and to show VLC the door.  :ph34r:

Unfortunately they are in the "addition by subtraction" phase of roster development. Moving VLC would open up room and allow the roster to shake out.

I certainly don't believe they absolutelymust add a first line left wing regardless of who it is or what they pay him. Both aspects are very important.

I still don't see a solution in the system - at best there are a boatload of "maybes" and some "coulds" with a few "mights."

In the end, unless they can get a clear, proven upgrade on Hartnell I don't think they are going to make a move for a top line winger.

In the end, unless they can get a clear, proven upgrade on Hartnell I don't think they are going to make a move for a top line winger.

I'm secretly enjoying the Evander Kane rumors. Beyond that, though, I think you are right, there are no real targets that make a lot of sense.

I'm secretly enjoying the Evander Kane rumors. Beyond that, though, I think you are right, there are no real targets that make a lot of sense.

I think EKane would fit in well - but the price would be the main question.

Moulson is IMO one of the "next, best" options for them. I think he's going to get too too much to be realistic in the Flyers' cap situation. And then that also begs the question of "whither Hartnell?"

One big question that might go a ways towards answering the situation is the status of BSchenn - resigned? dealt?

@radoran

The rumors on Kane are that they'd want two roster players, both forwards, one of them being top six quality, and are not interested in older players. Not cheap, but not crazy either. If b schenn and, say, read gets it done, I would call it a win.

Re: moulson... I dunno. I'd be fine with him on the team, though he is another Hartnell type guy. I'd like to see better hands brought in, but overall it'd be an ok add.

@radoran

The rumors on Kane are that they'd want two roster players, both forwards, one of them being top six quality, and are not interested in older players. Not cheap, but not crazy either. If b schenn and, say, read gets it done, I would call it a win.

Re: moulson... I dunno. I'd be fine with him on the team, though he is another Hartnell type guy. I'd like to see better hands brought in, but overall it'd be an ok add.

I wouldn't at all mind BSchenn + something (Laughton?? Akeson? :ph34r:) for EKane.

Kane's got four more years at $5.25M on his deal, too (and no NM/NTCs)

Moulson totally depends on the cost - but I do think he's got more touch and more game than Hartnell.  I do have serious reservations about packing the Flyers with former Islanders, though...

• Like 1