Early Rumors - Bylsma AND Shero OUT

B21

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6101755-74/sources-bylsma-shero#axzz31ii8Kk3f

By Rob Rossi

Published: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:27 p.m.
Updated 2 hours ago

Penguins ownership is into a second straight day of meetings that are expected to determine the future of general manager Ray Shero, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review.

No decision had been made as of Wednesday morning, but ownership was contemplating the firing of Shero along with coach Dan Bylsma, the sources said.

Ownership is not satisfied with the direction of the franchise and feels Shero specifically tethered himself to Bylsma, who he signed to a two-year extension after the Penguins were swept from the Eastern Conference final last June, the sources said.

That is why the term of Bylsma's deal was made to run concurrent with the final years remaining on Shero's contract, the sources said. If Bylsma were deemed necessary to replace, Shero would be held accountable, the sources said.

Ownership favored firing Bylsma as of Wednesday, the sources said.

Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said.

Players were unhappy with Bylsma's numerous meetings and long practices and the decreasing sense of fun within the Penguins' daily environment, the sources said.

Crosby and Malkin also grew disenchanted with perceived harsh criticism they received from Bylsma during meetings, the sources said.

Also, the sources said, ownership was concerned about the Crosby's body language during the playoffs.

No members of the Penguins were available for comment on Wednesday, vice president of communications Tom McMillan said.

Shero told friends on Tuesday he believed his job was in jeopardy if the Penguins lost Game 7 of a Stanley Cup playoff series against the New York Rangers, the sources said.

The Penguins lost, 2-1, completing a second blown 3-1 series lead in the last four postseasons. They have lost to a lower-seeded playoff opponent for five consecutive years since winning the Cup in 2009.

Heading into Game 7, the Penguins' majority co-owners were not in complete agreement that Shero should pay the price for a loss. Mario Lemieux, the franchise's iconic former player, slightly favored retaining Shero; but Ron Burkle, a billionaire grocery magnate, firmly believed a new general manager was needed to rebuild a championship contender around Crosby, the sources said.

Lemieux and Burkle also met with close advisors to discuss the state of the franchise while the series was in New York.

Ownership is not happy with a perceived lack of accountability, overall team toughness and poor drafts, the sources said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6101755-74/sources-bylsma-shero#ixzz31ij2sqbd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

@B21

Dejan Kovacevic was on the radio this morning.  He had some interesting things to say too, from an insider perspective.  Now I really don't think this goes ANYWHERE, and it may be all conjecture at this point, I dunno.   But apparently, somewhere along the line, Babcock expressed an interest in coaching the Penguins and it was being discussed.  Now I know he's under contract for another year, and I really don't think this goes anywhere at all, but it got me to thinking, and that could be a match made in heaven.  

Babcock insists he's not going anywhere though, and in all honesty, why would he?  But it got me thinking at who is available to coach the Pens next year.  And honestly, I didn't come up with anybody I really liked.  I think Trotz may be TOO authoritarian for our players.  Who else is out there worth giving a look?? 

@B21

Dejan Kovacevic was on the radio this morning.  He had some interesting things to say too, from an insider perspective.  Now I really don't think this goes ANYWHERE, and it may be all conjecture at this point, I dunno.   But apparently, somewhere along the line, Babcock expressed an interest in coaching the Penguins and it was being discussed.  Now I know he's under contract for another year, and I really don't think this goes anywhere at all, but it got me to thinking, and that could be a match made in heaven.  

Babcock insists he's not going anywhere though, and in all honesty, why would he?  But it got me thinking at who is available to coach the Pens next year.  And honestly, I didn't come up with anybody I really liked.  I think Trotz may be TOO authoritarian for our players.  Who else is out there worth giving a look?? 

black-sports-online-john-tortorella-goes

• Like 2

@B21

Here's a question...

IF Shero is fired does it hurt our chances to land Trotz?

I'd cream my pants over Babcock (pun intended).

I threw out some names in another thread....

Kevin Dineen

Ulf Samuellson

Todd McClellan - assuming the Sharks fire him...

Some of the statements in that article lead me to believe that there may not BE a coach for this group. Practices were too long? Too many meetings? Not "fun?" Define "harsh criticism." That's tough to know whether it's on the coach or the player. Was it in public or private? Was it warranted? Was the player ignoring the coach in front of teammates and undermining him?

It's easy to say a coach lost the locker room, but if the coach lost the locker room because of the attitudes of his players (not saying it was, but there seems to be an undertone in the article that suggests it's possible), that's NOT an easy fix.

• Like 3

@B21

Didn't Shero receive the General Manager of the Year Award ... last year?

:rolleyes:

No matter how good a team you put on the ice, if you didn't draft them all....you suck. ;)  :ph34r:

Not jumping on the dead corpse, but if it takes ownership 2 day to decide to KEEP one or the other...don't they already have their answer?  It shouldn't take 2 days to decide yes...

I would say that about any team/ownership group...not just the Pens.  Assuming the "2nd straight day" comment is correct.

Babcock expressed an interest in coaching the Penguins and it was being discussed.

I was just coming on to post the Babcock rumor.  I think there really may be something to it, although I don't know how that works out practically since he is still under contract.

Sorry to the Penguins fans, but your biggest problem is not your coach or your GM.   Your problem is your captain.

He is constitutionally unable to lead a team through adversity.  Things go against him and he buckles and becomes petulant and cancerous.  He's not as bad as Ovechkin, but the similarities are growing.

I wrote this in another thread as well, but 2008 and 2009 were about the veterans in the room that kept that team focused and on task and got in the kids' faces when they weren't on board.  This captain does not do that.  He sulks. He shakes his head.  He bickers with himself, with his coach, with the refs, etc.   and becomes unfocused and his team follows suit.

I don't care who you bring in as coach.  If you don't fix the captain problem you're going to have the same problem as the Caps.  Actually, you already do.

Here's a question...

IF Shero is fired does it hurt our chances to land Trotz?

I'd cream my pants over Babcock (pun intended).

I threw out some names in another thread....

Kevin Dineen

Ulf Samuellson

Todd McClellan - assuming the Sharks fire him...

Do you think Trotz would be a good fit? IMO he is more of a defensive minded coach, not sure if the current roster supports that.

Some of the statements in that article lead me to believe that there may not BE a coach for this group. Practices were too long? Too many meetings? Not "fun?" Define "harsh criticism." That's tough to know whether it's on the coach or the player. Was it in public or private? Was it warranted? Was the player ignoring the coach in front of teammates and undermining him?

It's easy to say a coach lost the locker room, but if the coach lost the locker room because of the attitudes of his players (not saying it was, but there seems to be an undertone in the article that suggests it's possible), that's NOT an easy fix.

Usually, those things you mention are symptoms, not the actual problem. So, if the team tuned out Bylsma, then naturally they start finding fault with everything (practices, meetings, etc). If you've ever been disgruntled (can you be just gruntled?) before, you'll know what I mean. 

It's like that awesome girl you're dating majorly pisses you off one day, and after that, it's all you can see and everything annoys you.

Not jumping on the dead corpse, but if it takes ownership 2 day to decide to KEEP one or the other...don't they already have their answer?  It shouldn't take 2 days to decide yes...

I would say that about any team/ownership group...not just the Pens.  Assuming the "2nd straight day" comment is correct.

2 days isn't that long considering the season ended less than 24 hours ago.  They are supposedly sure about Bylsma going. Debating Shero.  If you have to debate, shouldn't that be your answer? Not that I agree with him going. 

Do you think Trotz would be a good fit? IMO he is more of a defensive minded coach, not sure if the current roster supports that.

I don't think he had much of a choice in Nashville. 

I thought this too... Very astute! :-p

Darn good post, AJ

I'd become a Ducks fan. I will never ever never pull for a team with Tortsie as coach.

I think that would be really difficult to swallow for me as well.  I've always been a Flyer fan, but certain hires (Torts is a great example) would definitely push the ability to cheer.

A non-hockey example for me was that I am a lifelong Eagles fan.   Then they signed Michael Vick.  I didn't start cheering for another team, but I really didn't cheer for the Eagles for several years.  I just kind of numbly watched non-Eagles games.