Lucic and post game handshake

Old School Hockey

He showed tonight he is a classless idiot. If you don't want congratulate your opponent stay out of the handshake line.

Classless sore LOSER!

Effing punk. The hand shake is a ritual of the sport. Cry in your beer later, but show respect to the team that beat you. I can't stand him. I used to think I would love him in O&B. Yet regardless of his skill / talent, I don't want an Ahole like that anywhere around my team. 

PK Subban , all class when asked about it.

Young fella is starting to get it.

I agree. Subban has grown leaps and bounds both on and off the ice. He still has a ways to go but certainly seems to be getting it.

Watch the video of the handshake! You don't have to hear what he says! Watch the player reactions to what he says and does! He's a moron.

This is what has separated hockey from the other sports! The thug dipshit it's all about me attitude that is in the other sports has to place in hockey!

No sarcasm intended!

Yea, not to pile on, but Lucic did behave like a sore loser.

Especially when much of this seems to have stemmed from Lucic's showboating (chest thumping, making muscles) towards the Canadiens during the series....only to have the Habs mock Lucic when THEY scored.

Seems that really stuck in Milan's craw along with I am sure, whatever else went on during the series (the extra hits, the regular playoff trash talking, poking at goalies, etc).

But you know, this is pretty typical not only for Milan Lucic, but for Boston as a team, barring a few classy players:  They can dish it out, think it's alright to bully their way through games and series, do whatever they want...but the minute the other team returns the favor, they act like someone stole something from their kids and are justified in ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they do thereafter.

I realize hockey is an emotional sport and most guys leave everything out on that ice when all is said and done....but that is exactly why Lucic's actions are deplorable. You are supposed to leave it on the ice. When it's over, it's over. Done. Finito. Hecho.

And in truly one of the NHL's (and sports) finest customs, you congratulate the other team after beating the holy hell out of each other, knowing full well you both did whatever it took to try to win.

If a player doesn't want to do that, like many have already said....stay out of the handshake line.

THEN when asked about it, Lucic had the nerve to say that he didn't want to say what was said on the ice "because it belongs on the ice"...oh yea, go on the handshake line, act like a still frustrated ape and THAT is only between you and the other players....not like the media, fans, and everyone else watching on TV will notice, eh?  Twit.

Lucic and the Bruins CAN bank on this:

If Lucic thinks that tirading at the end of series will make other teams think twice in the future about "upsetting him", he better think again.

He may be a big, strong hulking fighter of a player, and may even intimidate SOME players in the NHL, but make no mistake....there will be teams and players that will use that very same thing to get into his head, provoke him, and use his own emotional impulses against him for future games and possible playoff series.

As is usually the case, an emotional and out of control player is more often than not a LESS effective player when it comes down to it.

Overall, just not very classy at all by Lucic...and if he has any sense about him, when he finally settles down, perhaps he can issue a short, yet sincere apology, not for being emotional and upset his team lost (I think everyone will grant him that), but for his actions AFTER the series was over. 

Just no excuse for it.

And I would feel the same way if it were a favorite player of mine on MY team.

Just give the other team their due for beating you and move on. That is hockey, that is the NHL.

• Like 1

Just no excuse for it.
And I would feel the same way if it were a favorite player of mine on MY team.
Just give the other team their due for beating you and move on. That is hockey, that is the NHL.

Yeah, "this" (as the kids say).

The only thing I really disagree with is the "stay out of the line" talk - every player should be forced to be in that line. That's the point.

And his whole "leave it on the ice" statement is ludicrous - you are in a handshake line on international television, asshat!

I didn't really care who won this series when it started, but I am sure as hell glad Lucic is making tee times at the end of it.

@Old School Hockey

Something that blows my mind is Dale Weise, a 25 year old journeyman who was traded to the Habs in a deal that was completely under the radar by the Canucks, absolutely got into Lucic's head and owned him throughout the series. Weise has to be on the Canadien short list of MVPs for this series. Absolutely playing the best hockey of his life right now at the right time. Made Lucic look foolish al series long. Lucic has made a nice career getting better players than he off of their game, Weise refused to allow him to do so to his more talented teammates and even put up a few points including the first goal in game 7. Lucic was Lucic'd by Weise who deserves a ton of credit.

• Like 1

He was dumb enough to call a goal celebration disrespectful. Really? A goal celebration with minutes left in game 7?

The most important thing about respect is that it is earned.

Whatever small modicum of respect that Lucic might have earned in his years in the league, he just flushed it all away.

It always seems to be the guys that have the least respect for other players that are so concerned with other players giving them the respect they "deserve."

Lucic is a punk who deserves nothing. Nothing.

Well now we can go to hockey night in Canada and have Don Cherry kiss his ass! I was indifferent on the man until this year's playoffs. Please check to see if the referees were looking and then smack Danny Dekeyer in the balls and now this shows me one thing he's no better than Street thug playing in the NBA!

Well now we can go to hockey night in Canada and have Don Cherry kiss his ass!

There was a day not long ago that I was drooling over him being in a O&B sweater. But I don't care how good you are if you are a punk. I don't have a son, but I have a daughter that loves ice hockey and how can I have her watch an a-hole like that? 

All you need to know about him and his actions is what the local scribe wrote about him (which is far more intellectual than all the philly flyers beat writers): 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/15/real-black-eye-for-black-and-gold/TLvZp14ycBxVK2WdOgdTcJ/story.html

@Vanflyer

That's a breath of fresh air over what you see from most of those brown-nosed parasitic ass-kissin' hand in pocket suckup leeches. Thanks.

Lucic should have left the building with time on the clock. He would have a better image today for it. Talk about humiliating yourself.

@Vanflyer

That's a breath of fresh air over what you see from most of those brown-nosed parasitic ass-kissin' hand in pocket suckup leaches. Thanks.

Lucic should have left the building with time on the clock. He would have a better image today for it. Talk about humiliating yourself.

I've seen many people 10000x better than Lucic be gracious in defeat!

I like Claude Julien, but he whined "All I said was that we’re perceived like the bad guys and they’re the good guys".  That (poor, poor, pitiful me) attitude seemed to influence Bruins' play and the Boston media during the series.

How many times have we seen teams get infected with the virus of self pity.  They lose sight of what they need to do to win, because they're fretting over the officiating or whatever. 

Lucic is irate because he, (and Boston) was out-played. 

That's the mark of a loser.  

I've always hated Lucic, this just makes my hatred grow by leaps and bounds. He's one of those picky tough guys, trys to find smaller inexperienced opponents, but a legit tough guy, 9 times out of 10 he skates away with his tail between his legs. What a monumental classless loser!!

I know you'll all hate me, but I'm not just trying to be contrarian or smarmy.

First, I hate the handshake thing to begin with.  I think it's the dumbest damn tradition in all of sports.  Dumber than the shootout.  You don't see it in any other sport.  That fact doesn't make it special in hockey.  That fact means that the other sports know it's dumber than ****.  This isn't AYSO and it's not little league.  This is grown men playing their heart out for their dream or for dollar or whatever.  They just lost a grueling 7 game series.  The winner has to put off celebrating to go through an utterly stupid handshake line so that the loser can be forced to skate through it to say "thank you for kicking our ass."  This isn't about good sportsmanship.  The whole exercise is as fake as it gets and is intellectually insulting.  Fake and stupid is NOT good sportsmanship.

What's good sportsmanship is in the NFL and college football, when the game is over the teams often congregate on the field and SPONTANEOUSLY congratulate whomever they want or don't participate if they don't feel like it.   THAT is sportsmanship.  Not the goofy fake crap the NHL forces upon its players.   I thought maybe I was alone in this and just an evil smarmy bastard, but Brad Parks, Phil Espisito, and Glenn Healy all said pretty much exactly the same thing yesterday on NHL radio.   I tell you, if I were playing I would definitely wait until I was on the winning side to do it (so I wouldn't look like a sore loser), but I would avoid the handshake altogether; explain it when asked; and then NEVER participate in the damn thing again.  It's ridiculous, IMO.

Now, as to the Lucic thing.  I have absolutely no problem with it.  None whatsoever.   The guy just lost a 7 game series his team should have won.  They were squarely beaten and they squarely played poorly, but the point is they were expected to win.  So he hates the Canadiens to begin with and now just finished such a series.  He leaves his calling card for next year with "Yeah, I'm going to kill you next year."   Clearly, he doesn't literally mean he's going to kill someone.  People really need to get real.  He means, "I'm going to get you year next year and the outcome will be different."  Who cares?  Nothing whatsoever wrong with this from where I sit.  And a hell of a lot more a real human and sportsman thing than "Thanks for whipping us.  Good luck."   Screw that.

The problem is that if Dale Weise wasn't such a little puss, he simply says "Yeah, well, I'll be here" or  "Okay, when I'm done playing for the Cup, I'll be ready" or something and moves on.  You don't nurse your ovaries and go to the press with it.  THAT was the unsportsmanlike part of this.  Take care of your own business and be a man.  Don't run to Vogue Magazine and air your grievance. Be a hockey player, not a pansy.

Lucic was no big deal until sissy boy went to reporters.  Keep it on the ice.

And please, stop the stupid silly handshake crap.  Let them mull around after the game and if some of them spontaneously congratulate or console each other as men, then great.  The fake stuff is just that:  fake. 

@ruxpin

The handshake line is more about tradition, respect, and honor for the game.

If one can't respect those traditions then how can we expect respect for the game on the ice?  Players who do not honor the game really don’t deserve to play. It is really that simple.