Lucic and post game handshake

Old School Hockey

I haven't seen where the Habs or the player "went to the press" with this.

Any hockey reporter is going to ask what was said in the line, as seen on international television.

Weise didn't have to "whine" (nor have I seen quotes or statements from the organization or the team to that effect).

The fact it that truth is on his side and he doesn't have to do much with it.

The only person whining lkke a petulant child about it has been Lucic.

And he did it.

I haven't seen where the Habs or the player "went to the press" with this

Weise has said that he didn't repeat Lucic's words to anyone.  

The game was over.  If you don't want to shake hands, don't.   But, if you can't show some class, shut your mouth.

I know you'll all hate me, but I'm not just trying to be contrarian or smarmy.

First, I hate the handshake thing to begin with. I think it's the dumbest damn tradition in all of sports. Dumber than the shootout. You don't see it in any other sport. That fact doesn't make it special in hockey. That fact means that the other sports know it's dumber than ****. This isn't AYSO and it's not little league. This is grown men playing their heart out for their dream or for dollar or whatever. They just lost a grueling 7 game series. The winner has to put off celebrating to go through an utterly stupid handshake line so that the loser can be forced to skate through it to say "thank you for kicking our ass." This isn't about good sportsmanship. The whole exercise is as fake as it gets and is intellectually insulting. Fake and stupid is NOT good sportsmanship.

What's good sportsmanship is in the NFL and college football, when the game is over the teams often congregate on the field and SPONTANEOUSLY congratulate whomever they want or don't participate if they don't feel like it. THAT is sportsmanship. Not the goofy fake crap the NHL forces upon its players. I thought maybe I was alone in this and just an evil smarmy bastard, but Brad Parks, Phil Espisito, and Glenn Healy all said pretty much exactly the same thing yesterday on NHL radio. I tell you, if I were playing I would definitely wait until I was on the winning side to do it (so I wouldn't look like a sore loser), but I would avoid the handshake altogether; explain it when asked; and then NEVER participate in the damn thing again. It's ridiculous, IMO.

Now, as to the Lucic thing. I have absolutely no problem with it. None whatsoever. The guy just lost a 7 game series his team should have won. They were squarely beaten and they squarely played poorly, but the point is they were expected to win. So he hates the Canadiens to begin with and now just finished such a series. He leaves his calling card for next year with "Yeah, I'm going to kill you next year." Clearly, he doesn't literally mean he's going to kill someone. People really need to get real. He means, "I'm going to get you year next year and the outcome will be different." Who cares? Nothing whatsoever wrong with this from where I sit. And a hell of a lot more a real human and sportsman thing than "Thanks for whipping us. Good luck." Screw that.

The problem is that if Dale Weise wasn't such a little puss, he simply says "Yeah, well, I'll be here" or "Okay, when I'm done playing for the Cup, I'll be ready" or something and moves on. You don't nurse your ovaries and go to the press with it. THAT was the unsportsmanlike part of this. Take care of your own business and be a man. Don't run to Vogue Magazine and air your grievance. Be a hockey player, not a pansy.

Lucic was no big deal until sissy boy went to reporters. Keep it on the ice.

And please, stop the stupid silly handshake crap. Let them mull around after the game and if some of them spontaneously congratulate or console each other as men, then great. The fake stuff is just that: fake.

Major failure in understanding time honored tradition!

I know you'll all hate me, but I'm not just trying to be contrarian or smarmy.

First, I hate the handshake thing to begin with. I think it's the dumbest damn tradition in all of sports. Dumber than the shootout. You don't see it in any other sport. That fact doesn't make it special in hockey. That fact means that the other sports know it's dumber than ****. This isn't AYSO and it's not little league. This is grown men playing their heart out for their dream or for dollar or whatever. They just lost a grueling 7 game series. The winner has to put off celebrating to go through an utterly stupid handshake line so that the loser can be forced to skate through it to say "thank you for kicking our ass." This isn't about good sportsmanship. The whole exercise is as fake as it gets and is intellectually insulting. Fake and stupid is NOT good sportsmanship.

What's good sportsmanship is in the NFL and college football, when the game is over the teams often congregate on the field and SPONTANEOUSLY congratulate whomever they want or don't participate if they don't feel like it. THAT is sportsmanship. Not the goofy fake crap the NHL forces upon its players. I thought maybe I was alone in this and just an evil smarmy bastard, but Brad Parks, Phil Espisito, and Glenn Healy all said pretty much exactly the same thing yesterday on NHL radio. I tell you, if I were playing I would definitely wait until I was on the winning side to do it (so I wouldn't look like a sore loser), but I would avoid the handshake altogether; explain it when asked; and then NEVER participate in the damn thing again. It's ridiculous, IMO.

Now, as to the Lucic thing. I have absolutely no problem with it. None whatsoever. The guy just lost a 7 game series his team should have won. They were squarely beaten and they squarely played poorly, but the point is they were expected to win. So he hates the Canadiens to begin with and now just finished such a series. He leaves his calling card for next year with "Yeah, I'm going to kill you next year." Clearly, he doesn't literally mean he's going to kill someone. People really need to get real. He means, "I'm going to get you year next year and the outcome will be different." Who cares? Nothing whatsoever wrong with this from where I sit. And a hell of a lot more a real human and sportsman thing than "Thanks for whipping us. Good luck." Screw that.

The problem is that if Dale Weise wasn't such a little puss, he simply says "Yeah, well, I'll be here" or "Okay, when I'm done playing for the Cup, I'll be ready" or something and moves on. You don't nurse your ovaries and go to the press with it. THAT was the unsportsmanlike part of this. Take care of your own business and be a man. Don't run to Vogue Magazine and air your grievance. Be a hockey player, not a pansy.

Lucic was no big deal until sissy boy went to reporters. Keep it on the ice.

And please, stop the stupid silly handshake crap. Let them mull around after the game and if some of them spontaneously congratulate or console each other as men, then great. The fake stuff is just that: fake.

Major failure in understanding time honored tradition!

@ruxpin

First of all, I totally disagree with you. Shaking hands is a show of good sportsmanship.

Good sportsmanship in the NFL? Where you practice dance routines to celebrate scoring? Thump your chest because you tackled a guy. Wave your hand in the air declaring YOU'RE #1 because you just ran the ball 4 yards? Uh,ya.

If you agrre with Glen Healey on anything you're wrong. So you're wrong.

Weiss DID take care of business. That's why he's still playing. Lucic DIDN'T. He was terrible. So just because he's a big galoot he gets to threaten a guy in a handshake lineup? What a winner. Maybe he should have danced, beat his chest and given the "I'm #1 signal" instead. It's a tradition that players with a lot more class, and skill, and honour have been doing since long before Milan Lucic was sucking on his momma's teat.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

Sorry, couldn't disagree more.

Obviously, it's your prerogative to feel that way about it and that is fine. As you pointed out, there are others who probably feel the same way to varying degrees, but personally, I like the tradition.

It falls right in line with who hockey players are. IMO, they are quite unique amongst team sports players.

Think about it. In what other sport can guys abuse the hell out of each other like they do in hockey, then go have dinner with each other's families?

I am talking about enforcers who routinely go after each other in games, yet OFF the ice, can many times be found sharing drinks and visiting each other's households on holidays.

Guys who are great friends off the ice playing for the same or different teams, yet ON the ice, mortal enemies if they are wearing opposite sweaters.

Like I said, unique.

Same thing with the end-of-series handshakes. Unique. Shows class, despite the barbaric nature of what goes on sometimes on that ice surface.

I think it is something that should stay...no FORCING any player to do it....and something that really does stand out as something different and/or special, depending on one's point of view.

Some, such as yourself may not care for it and I respect your right to feel that way about it, but it is my right to believe that opinion is in the minority, and that is where it will stay.

Dumber than the shoot out? Ummm, not even close.

Dumber than naming a division "Metro" and the relocating the name Atlantic to a division where all but one actually sits anywhere NEAR the Atlantic (except perhaps Montreal, as they can probably sail up the River St. Laurence to GET to it... ;)  ).

Dumber than rewarding teams with standings points despite losing games, then calling said team who is 15-13-10 an ABOVE .500 team? (Sorry, but that team is 15-23 no matter how you slice it, 8 games below .500 for the mathematically challenged....they LOST 23 times while winning only 15, bottom line)

Dumber than talking about removing fighting, which in turn would allow rat players to run rampant, THEN the league can lament the problem of containing dirty players that do what they do with no fear of retribution?

Dumber than having Gary 'Garden Gnome' Bettman running the entire show for as long as he has despite the work stoppages and loss of fans?

Sorry, got on a tangent there, but I think you get the idea: The 'Handshake' has a LONG way to go before it can claim the title of dumbest thing ever...

As for Lucic, even well before this whole handshake thing, he was a bullying buffoon.

And as is typical of bullies,when the tables are turned on him, he acts indignant...as if "how dare that guy mock me" or "how dare that guy check me into the boards like he did".

Milan Lucic CAN behave in whatever manner he likes. That is HIS prerogative, but he and players like him need to understand, just like anything else in life, that if you are gonna behave a certain way, ppl will view and treat you a certain way....and when someone can turn the tables on you, there will be more people enjoying it rather than sympathizing with you for it.

I fully understand the whole concept of competition and how heated it can get. I can be pretty competitive myself when it comes down to it.

I've never actually played hockey, but in my teens and early 20's was involved in quite a few Tae Kwon Do local touraments, and man, did I hate losing.

In fact, sometimes, I swore the other girl I was sparring was taking short cuts by taking cheap shots whenever the ref tried to break a clinch, or took an extra swipe if we tumbled then had to untangle ourselves back to our feet.

And then, when I LOST to that person, it pissed me off to no end they not only did so, but did so using some nefarious means.

Bottom line though, I didn't win.

At the end, I had the choice to either bow and shake their hand or not to. I opted to do so because it was MY way to let it go.

It would have been very classless of me to bother with the handshake, bow, then say something stupid to the other person, regardless of what I thought their methods were.

Milan Lucic. Classic bully. He was out bullied, out smarted, out played, hell, out TROLLED by Wiese, Emelin, and whomever else he wants to claim 'did him wrong'.

If it were him on the winning end, running goaltenders, boarding players, taking extra punches at guys while the refs were trying to get between them, he probaby would have seen it as just "competitive, hard hockey, and that the other player/team just needs to grow up and deal with it'.

You know, he may have a point: Deal with it Lucic. Don't like how Wiese, Emelin, et al went about their business...then just head right for the locker room and go beat up on some tough water coolers.

You want to send messages? Wait till next season's exhibition schedule or regular season, then show them on the ice how you felt bout last year.

But keep the bully kiddie nonsense OUT of the line where grown mature men are congratulating each other after a tooth n nail struggle to continue their season.

Oh and Rux, on your first line...nope, I don't hate you at all...in fact, I respect you speaking your mind on something that flies clearly in the face of what others may think.

Wouldn't have you any other way. ;)

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Another thing that bothers me about Lucic is that he tried to blame Weise for the flap.  He lied about Weise repeating his (Lucic's) threats to the press. 

@ruxpin

The handshake line is more about tradition, respect, and honor for the game.

If one can't respect those traditions then how can we expect respect for the game on the ice?  Players who do not honor the game really don’t deserve to play. It is really that simple.

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free.  Tradition for the sake of tradition when that tradition is absurd is not a good idea.  So it's not really that simple.

It's a dumb tradition that's as fake as fake can get.  Get rid of it.

And, by the way, it's comical reading about tradition from someone who likes the shootout travesty.

Shaking hands is a show of good sportsmanship.

It is when it's not staged. 

When it's done the way it is, it's as fake and stupid as making the entire class say the Pledge of Allegience.   Do it because you want to and because you believe it's right, not because the whole class is doing it. 

It's a trite exercise as fake as the staged fight.

Good sportsmanship in the NFL? Where you practice dance routines to celebrate scoring? Thump your chest because you tackled a guy. Wave your hand in the air declaring YOU'RE #1 because you just ran the ball 4 yards? Uh,ya.

I was speaking of a specific practice: The spontaneous, earnest congratulations/condolences vs. the staged nonsense the NHL does that is intellectually insulting.  The stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with it.  That said, I wouldn't begin to argue with you on any of your examples.   The chest pump for tackling a guy is one of my biggest football pet peeves.  You're a linebacker and you just tackled a running back.  Congratulations.  You just did exactly what you're paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to do.   STFU and get back to the huddle.   The other stuff I completely agree with you on as well.  I think even Glenn Healy would (I agree with you on him, too, but just found it interesting that several "old school" players agreed with me when I wouldn't have expected them to.  My mentioning the players really wasn't to say "see? I'm right!"  It was meant more as "I thought I was on my own on this and it turns out at least some others unexpectedly agreed"  There were way more than those three on NHL Radio who thought Lucic was an ass and agree with most of you on here that the handshake line is a wonderful thing).

I was going to quote specific parts, but there's so much going on here--some I agree with, some I don't--that I figured I'd just quote the whole stinking thing and comment as you go.

@ruxpin

Sorry, couldn't disagree more.

Obviously, it's your prerogative to feel that way about it and that is fine. As you pointed out, there are others who probably feel the same way to varying degrees, but personally, I like the tradition.

It falls right in line with who hockey players are. IMO, they are quite unique amongst team sports players.   Unique--for me--is not always a good thing.  Plaid shorts and middle-aged men are (somewhat) unique to golf.  I would never argue that that's a good thing.  :)   But I get your point.  That's the way it's *sold,* anyway.

Think about it. In what other sport can guys abuse the hell out of each other like they do in hockey, then go have dinner with each other's families?   This is a good correlation to the handshake lines if ALL players from BOTH teams all go out together.  If not, it's more akin to the NFL thing where specific players seek out specific opposing players to congratulate/console, etc.  

I am talking about enforcers who routinely go after each other in games, yet OFF the ice, can many times be found sharing drinks and visiting each other's households on holidays.

Guys who are great friends off the ice playing for the same or different teams, yet ON the ice, mortal enemies if they are wearing opposite sweaters.

Like I said, unique.

Same thing with the end-of-series handshakes. Unique. Shows class, despite the barbaric nature of what goes on sometimes on that ice surface.

I think it is something that should stay...no FORCING any player to do it....and something that really does stand out as something different and/or special, depending on one's point of view.

Some, such as yourself may not care for it and I respect your right to feel that way about it, but it is my right to believe that opinion is in the minority, and that is where it will stay.   I have to agree that it's the minority decision and will stay that way.  It's also my minority opinion that the majority are sentimental saps who can't acknowledge fake when they see it.  The Kings thing with Selanne?  That was real and was class.  But the typical line where 80-90% of the players are clearly doing it to get it over with because it's "tradition."  Yeah, that's not sportsmanship; that's rote participation in something required.   Now that I think about it, I wonder if I'm in the minority of people who feel this way or just in the minority of people willing to say so.

Dumber than the shoot out? Ummm, not even close.  Point to TFG.  It's hard to argue that anything is dumber than the shootout.  But glad it made a point, nonetheless.

Dumber than naming a division "Metro" and the relocating the name Atlantic to a division where all but one actually sits anywhere NEAR the Atlantic (except perhaps Montreal, as they can probably sail up the River St. Laurence to GET to it... ;)  ). 

Dumber than rewarding teams with standings points despite losing games, then calling said team who is 15-13-10 an ABOVE .500 team? (Sorry, but that team is 15-23 no matter how you slice it, 8 games below .500 for the mathematically challenged....they LOST 23 times while winning only 15, bottom line)

Dumber than talking about removing fighting, which in turn would allow rat players to run rampant, THEN the league can lament the problem of containing dirty players that do what they do with no fear of retribution?

Dumber than having Gary 'Garden Gnome' Bettman running the entire show for as long as he has despite the work stoppages and loss of fans?

Sorry, got on a tangent there, but I think you get the idea: The 'Handshake' has a LONG way to go before it can claim the title of dumbest thing ever...   What did  you list, 5 things?  Okay, IT'S THE SIXTH DUMBEST DAMN THING EVER.   Yeah, clearly hyperbole, because I would put spending 2 ½ hours watching 6½ and 7 footers putting a ball in a 10 ft. hoop up high on the dumb list, too.

As for Lucic, even well before this whole handshake thing, he was a bullying buffoon.  Agreed.

And as is typical of bullies,when the tables are turned on him, he acts indignant...as if "how dare that guy mock me" or "how dare that guy check me into the boards like he did". 

Milan Lucic CAN behave in whatever manner he likes. That is HIS prerogative, but he and players like him need to understand, just like anything else in life, that if you are gonna behave a certain way, ppl will view and treat you a certain way....and when someone can turn the tables on you, there will be more people enjoying it rather than sympathizing with you for it.

I fully understand the whole concept of competition and how heated it can get. I can be pretty competitive myself when it comes down to it.

I've never actually played hockey, but in my teens and early 20's was involved in quite a few Tae Kwon Do local touraments, and man, did I hate losing.

In fact, sometimes, I swore the other girl I was sparring was taking short cuts by taking cheap shots whenever the ref tried to break a clinch, or took an extra swipe if we tumbled then had to untangle ourselves back to our feet.

And then, when I LOST to that person, it pissed me off to no end they not only did so, but did so using some nefarious means.

Bottom line though, I didn't win.

At the end, I had the choice to either bow and shake their hand or not to. I opted to do so because it was MY way to let it go.

It would have been very classless of me to bother with the handshake, bow, then say something stupid to the other person, regardless of what I thought their methods were.

If we're going to have the handshake line (clearly we DID), then he should probably have avoided the line altogether.  I have more of a problem, though, with the way he was slapping at hands all through the line more than what he said to Weise.  Because what he said to Weise was between two players and wasn't any kind of public issue until Weise made it one.  But the handslapping like he was doing was--on his own--showing the entire arena and TV audience that he was being a spoiled little douche.

Milan Lucic. Classic bully. He was out bullied, out smarted, out played, hell, out TROLLED by Wiese, Emelin, and whomever else he wants to claim 'did him wrong'.

If it were him on the winning end, running goaltenders, boarding players, taking extra punches at guys while the refs were trying to get between them, he probaby would have seen it as just "competitive, hard hockey, and that the other player/team just needs to grow up and deal with it'.

You know, he may have a point: Deal with it Lucic. Don't like how Wiese, Emelin, et al went about their business...then just head right for the locker room and go beat up on some tough water coolers.   See above. More problem with the bombastic gestures and handslapping than I have with him saying "we'll get you next time." 

You want to send messages? Wait till next season's exhibition schedule or regular season, then show them on the ice how you felt bout last year.

But keep the bully kiddie nonsense OUT of the line where grown mature men are congratulating each other after a tooth n nail struggle to continue their season.

Oh and Rux, on your first line...nope, I don't hate you at all...in fact, I respect you speaking your mind on something that flies clearly in the face of what others may think.

Wouldn't have you any other way. ;)  Thanks!   Let's go get in line and shake hands!  :)

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free.  Not here it didn't. :) 

Tradition for the sake of tradition when that tradition is absurd is not a good idea.  So it's not really that simple. You're just trying to get out of buying me a Christmas present.

Does this sound fake?

"I'm going to miss watching you play I really am. Thank you."

There are plenty of examples of great moments in the handshake line. Heck there were plenty just when LA beat Anaheim. Many guys have either played together before on other teams, or against, and even in other leagues. I think it's a big part of the postseason. And other than Healey, I respect the other two veterans. But my guess is there's way way more guys who think Lucic is a total loser for doing what he did, and respect the tradition.

@flyercanuck

ruxpin, on 17 May 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:snapback.png

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free.  Not here it didn't. :)   I had to run an errand between posting this and coming back.  So THANK YOU for taking that point the way it was meant instead of attempting to make the absurd inference that I was otherwise attempting to compare a handshake line to slavery.   Of course, I wasn't.  Anyone who would apples to apples try to compare shaking hands with slavery should be banned from the internet, let alone this site!

Tradition for the sake of tradition when that tradition is absurd is not a good idea.  So it's not really that simple. You're just trying to get out of buying me a Christmas present.

Does this sound fake?

"I'm going to miss watching you play I really am. Thank you."

There are plenty of examples of great moments in the handshake line. Heck there were plenty just when LA beat Anaheim. Many guys have either played together before on other teams, or against, and even in other leagues. I think it's a big part of the postseason. And other than Healey, I respect the other two veterans. But my guess is there's way way more guys who think Lucic is a total loser for doing what he did, and respect the tradition.   I agree with all of this, of course.  But I think the "I'm going to miss watching you play" can be accomplished spontaneously and earnestly rather than the forced/fake handshake line.   It's not the statement/example you make that I find fake.  It's the contrived handshake line I have a problem with.  Of course, I'm keenly aware I'm in the vast minority on this one, but I just don't like (what I perceive as) contrived exercises. 

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free.    Tradition, respect and honor in sport is not the same as Enslavement -- and I'm just not going there with this discussion.

It's a dumb tradition that's as fake as fake can get.  Get rid of it.   It is only fake for those who can't accept defeat or acknowledge that although you and your team gave it all another player or team was just better at that time.  

And, by the way, it's comical reading about tradition from someone who likes the shootout travesty. -- yeah, I see your point, but as far as tradition goes... hockey has tried a number of different ways to call the end of a hockey game.  So imo there really has been no tradition when it comes to how the league defines a winner at the end of a game.  For now the shootout is an entertaining way to timely end a game during the regular season with skills contest.  It works.

NHL-Richard-Dead-8.jpg

@hf101

ruxpin, on 17 May 2014 - 6:45 PM, said:snapback.png

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free.    Tradition, respect and honor in sport is not the same as Enslavement -- and I'm just not going there with this discussion.  Boo!  I can't believe you went there.  I was going to come back and edit my post to say something similar to what I just posted to @flyercanuck.  Not because I thought YOU would miss the point being made but because I knew/thought someone else would.   You know that's not the point that was being made (that somehow slavery = handshake line!).

It's a dumb tradition that's as fake as fake can get.  Get rid of it.   It is only fake for those who can't accept defeat or acknowledge that although you and your team gave it all another player or team was just better at that time.  Again, this can be accomplished--and is--in other sports in a more spontaneous--and I would argue, therefore, a more earnest and honest--way.  

And, by the way, it's comical reading about tradition from someone who likes the shootout travesty. -- yeah, I see your point, but as far as tradition goes... hockey has tried a number of different ways to call the end of a hockey game.  So imo there really has been no tradition when it comes to how the league defines a winner at the end of a game.  For now the shootout is an entertaining way to timely end a game during the regular season with skills contest.  It works.  I *think* you took that in the friendly jab way it was meant.  I was going to go back and add a smiley or ninja or something to be sure, but you beat me to it before I got back from my errand--we were out of toilet paper if anyone cares.

@hf101

Did you know this site limits number of emoticons?    There was four on either side of the NTTAWWT, but I got my hand slapped.   Even the website thinks I'm a jerk in this thread!  (I know, nothing to do with the thread, right?)

Just for clarity and repetition sake:  I don't really have a problem with the sportsmanship that goes on IN the handshake line.  It's the contrived nature of the handshake line itself that I don't like.  If players want to congratulate each other and be grownups or whatever on their own, that's terrific.  But the "because everyone is doing it" doesn't work for me.  And as many times as not, you can see from the body language and the casual hand pump and keep moving that this is the way it is view by probably a majority of the players.  Most appear to be doing it because it is what is expected and because it is "tradition" rather than earnestly wanting to show respect or to congratulate one another.  All I'm saying is if it's not genuine--and again, I maintain that watching it, it clearly is not--then why bother with it?  I know, "tradition."  Blek.

I thought the spontaneous act of the Kings banging their sticks on the ice in honor of Selanne was more genuine and more sportsmanship than all of the handshake lines I have ever seen put together.  THAT was special.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I don't think there is a rule that states that you have to shake hands -- and yeah maybe there is reason not to shake a particular player's hand... but then not every player is Sean Avery.   :D

“Well, everyone talks about how classy or un-classy I am, and fatso (Brodeur) there just forgot to shake my hand I guess. . . We outplayed him. I outplayed him. We’re going to the second round.”

-Sean Avery

I'l have to look at the emoticon thing... add it to the list  ;).

It used to be tradition to own other people and make them work for free. Tradition for the sake of tradition when that tradition is absurd is not a good idea. So it's not really that simple.

It's a dumb tradition that's as fake as fake can get. Get rid of it.

And, by the way, it's comical reading about tradition from someone who likes the shootout travesty.

You're part of the ME generation and it shows!

You're part of the ME generation and it shows!

I was born in 1968, making me soon to be 46.  Is that the "me" generation?

Whatever, it's a crap description.  I'm all for sportsmanship.  I maintain that a trite, fake, tradition where the players themselves largely go through it solely for the sake of going through it is not sportsmanship.  It's tradition for the sake of tradition.  There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also no practical or high merit point to it.

Again, players want to mill around on the playing surface like they do in other sports and congratulate each other in a MEANINGFUL way, all power to them and I applaud that.  40 people going through a line where probably 60-70% don't give a crap about the exercise and are doing it solely on the way to something else doesn't impress me in the slightest.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with "ME" and is quite the opposite.

Saying "have it actually mean something" and cut the symbolic fake crap isn't "ME" at all.

I was born in 1968, making me soon to be 46. Is that the "me" generation?

Whatever, it's a crap description. I'm all for sportsmanship. I maintain that a trite, fake, tradition where the players themselves largely go through it solely for the sake of going through it is not sportsmanship. It's tradition for the sake of tradition. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also no practical or high merit point to it.

Again, players want to mill around on the playing surface like they do in other sports and congratulate each other in a MEANINGFUL way, all power to them and I applaud that. 40 people going through a line where probably 60-70% don't give a crap about the exercise and are doing it solely on the way to something else doesn't impress me in the slightest. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "ME" and is quite the opposite.

Saying "have it actually mean something" and cut the symbolic fake crap isn't "ME" at all.

YOU and Lucic are a VERY small minority. And the other 99.9% are the majority.

• Like 1