Lucic and post game handshake

Old School Hockey

YOU and Lucic are a VERY small minority. And the other 99.9% are the majority.

I completely disagree about the 99.9% thing.

I challenge you to watch a handshake line and watch the body language and expression of the *majority* of the players.  Most are doing it in rote fashion to get it done and over with.  Several players occasionally stop for a moment and speak in a meaningful way with a couple on the opposing team, but largely it's "touch glove, touch glove, touch glove" and "hurry up and get done with this so we can celebrate" (if they won) or "get the hell off the ice" if they lost.

I'm not sure why you're taking this so personally, but...

I think you have an extraordinarily romantic view of it that really isn't born out by the reality of it.  Seriously, watch the lines.  The majority are doing it for habit/tradition and nothing more, nothing less.  It's a lot more real when it's personal and out of one's own will and not because there's a fricken line or because peer pressure/tradition demands it.   The spontaneity of the Kings thing was a lot more real and meaningful.  Two guys from opposite teams seeking each other out on a football field is as well.   

I completely disagree about the 99.9% thing.

I challenge you to watch a handshake line and watch the body language and expression of the *majority* of the players. Most are doing it in rote fashion to get it done and over with. Several players occasionally stop for a moment and speak in a meaningful way with a couple on the opposing team, but largely it's "touch glove, touch glove, touch glove" and "hurry up and get done with this so we can celebrate" (if they won) or "get the hell off the ice" if they lost.

I'm not sure why you're taking this so personally, but...

I think you have an extraordinarily romantic view of it that really isn't born out by the reality of it. Seriously, watch the lines. The majority are doing it for habit/tradition and nothing more, nothing less. It's a lot more real when it's personal and out of one's own will and not because there's a fricken line or because peer pressure/tradition demands it. The spontaneity of the Kings thing was a lot more real and meaningful. Two guys from opposite teams seeking each other out on a football field is as well.

I take it personally because I played the game! I understand what's going on.

As the old saying goes!!!!!

Act like you've been there!

Again, players want to mill around on the playing surface like they do in other sports and congratulate each other in a MEANINGFUL way, all power to them and I applaud that.  40 people going through a line where probably 60-70% don't give a crap about the exercise and are doing it solely on the way to something else doesn't impress me in the slightest.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with "ME" and is quite the opposite.

So let me get this clear, you are more impressed with a few "meaningful congratulations" on a football field, or basketball court in the mix of at least a few hundred fans and media scrambling about, than the players taking the ice as teams congratulating each other via a handshake line with both teams then having the chance to salute the fans in a more formal team sense?  

The handshake line isn't about the few individuals going through the motions nor is it about those that speak more than a few words.

So let me get this clear, you are more impressed with a few "meaningful congratulations" on a football field, or basketball court in the mix of at least a few hundred fans and media scrambling about, than the players taking the ice as teams congratulating each other via a handshake line with both teams then having the chance to salute the fans in a more formal team sense?  

Yes.  I know you're attempting to be ironic, but that's exactly my position. Because I don't believe the latter means a damn thing to most of them and is a completely contrived fake.

@ruxpin  I think that you are on to something here. Kids have this handshake thing at the end of a series drilled into them at a very early age. There is no higher moral ground here, just players going through the motions cause it the socially acceptable thing to do. I'll compare it to people saying "bless you" after somebody sneezes, people don't say it because they mean it or they really hope the person needs help from the almighty to stay healthy....it's an automatic response that is the "socially acceptable" thing to do. Perhaps some of the players were raised correctly, and they truly value good sportsmanship, but for the most part, I believe you were really on to something.

@ruxpin  I think that you are on to something here. Kids have this handshake thing at the end of a series drilled into them at a very early age. There is no higher moral ground here, just players going through the motions cause it the socially acceptable thing to do. I'll compare it to people saying "bless you" after somebody sneezes, people don't say it because they mean it or they really hope the person needs help from the almighty to stay healthy....it's an automatic response that is the "socially acceptable" thing to do. Perhaps some of the players were raised correctly, and they truly value good sportsmanship, but for the most part, I believe you were really on to something.

Lucic had 3 choices!

1. Go through the line and act like a man

2. Don't even get in line

3. Go through the line and act like a F-ing moron

He took 3 which makes an even bigger POS.

Lucic had 3 choices!

1. Go through the line and act like a man

2. Don't even get in line

3. Go through the line and act like a F-ing moron

He took 3 which makes an even bigger POS.

I kind of mean this in a sympathetic way rather than an insult, but it seems that what I'm saying (and jammer seems to be building off of) is so foreign to you that you don't seem to even know what is being said.  Unlike hf, fc, and TFG (who debated the merits--or lack of--of what was being said), you have yet to actually respond to what was said but instead have responded either completely missing the point or telling people what generation they're in (incorrectly) as if it was even relevant or negatively comparing them Lucic.  Even the post to jammer wasn't remotely relevant to what he said.  I've seen you debate elsewhere so I know you're not that way typically, so is it just that the concept is so foreign to you that you're struggling to even get your mind around it?  Are you capable of debating the subject or are we going to sling mud?

If we're just slinging mud, I'll let you win and whine to a reporter about it. 

I kind of mean this in a sympathetic way rather than an insult, but it seems that what I'm saying (and jammer seems to be building off of) is so foreign to you that you don't seem to even know what is being said.  Unlike hf, fc, and TFG (who debated the merits--or lack of--of what was being said), you have yet to actually respond to what was said but instead have responded either completely missing the point or telling people what generation they're in (incorrectly) as if it was even relevant or negatively comparing them Lucic.  Even the post to jammer wasn't remotely relevant to what he said.  I've seen you debate elsewhere so I know you're not that way typically, so is it just that the concept is so foreign to you that you're struggling to even get your mind around it?  Are you capable of debating the subject or are we going to sling mud?

Here is one question for you? Have you played any high level sports?

This time honored tradition is one thing that has ALWAYS separated hockey from all other sports! What Lucic did is what we try to teach our 8 year olds not to do! RESPECT is something not in your and most of today's players vocabulary. That's why there's soooooooo many senseless injuries in today's game. No RESPECT!

Next thing you'll be saying/hoping for is the WWE style after the match brawl!

Bottom line! He was wrong it was and he is stupid for pulling that move.

But opinions are like a-holes! But yours stinks and mine doesn't because I just got out of the shower!

Also, I love the condescending I'm right and you're wrong attitude you seem to have! Seems like I'm having a debate with my wife.

Also, I love the condescending I'm right and you're wrong attitude you seem to have! Seems like I'm having a debate with my wife.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's actually you with the condescending self righteous nonsense who has yet to actually address what is being said but instead hurls insults. Get over yourself a bit.

I have not once insisted on being right and have acknowledged to all comers being in the minority and have almost apologetically explained why I feel the way I feel about it.

If you're entirely incapable of even acknowledging or addressing the actual points made that's fine but cut the crap

Rux wants players to play in trackpants with the crotch at their knees and big puffy old wornout boxers muffintopping out the top hoisted up to their armpits. oh, and cool ballcaps on sideways, the big-ass oversized farmer ones. And every team has to have Milli-Vanilli on it. Both Milli AND Vanilli. And he wants to see choreography after every goal. Bench clearing break dances! And guys screaming they're #1 when they get a shot on net..

Give me back that badge!

Rux wants players to play in trackpants with the crotch at their knees and big puffy old wornout boxers muffintopping out the top hoisted up to their armpits. oh, and cool ballcaps on sideways, the big-ass oversized farmer ones. And every team has to have Milli-Vanilli on it. Both Milli AND Vanilli. And he wants to see choreography after every goal. Bench clearing break dances! And guys screaming they're #1 when they get a shot on net..

Give me back that badge!

If people would just leave the games traditions alone I'd be happy!

@Old School Hockey

There's plenty of Flyer fans on here that are good sports...Ruxpin is one of them. So am I. The guy has an opinion. Disagree with it all you want. It has nothing to do with poor sportsmanship. Lucic was poor sportsmanship. Not liking a handshke line isn't, it's an opinion.

@Old School Hockey

There's plenty of Flyer fans on here that are good sports...Ruxpin is one of them. So am I. The guy has an opinion. Disagree with it all you want. It has nothing to do with poor sportsmanship. Lucic was poor sportsmanship. Not liking a handshke line isn't, it's an opinion.

Siding with a thugs is???

Give me back that badge!

Who wouldn't want that? Sounds like a party!

Siding with a thugs is???

There have been many comments on this topic. If you go back through them, several are by Flyer fans. Just because ONE guy has an opinion doesn't mean they're all the same.

Speaking of sportsmanship, doesn't Todd Bertuzzi play on your Wings? Does that mean ALL Wings fans love thugs? Of course not.

Who wouldn't want that? Sounds like a party!

Capes? And you know what I'd love to see? When a player scores a goal, his helmet starts firing T-shirts with his face emblazoned on them into the crowd. Now THAT would be awesome.

There have been many comments on this topic. If you go back through them, several are by Flyer fans. Just because ONE guy has an opinion doesn't mean they're all the same.

Speaking of sportsmanship, doesn't Todd Bertuzzi play on your Wings? Does that mean ALL Wings fans love thugs? Of course not.

At what point did I say I condone TB's actions?

Edited by Old School Hockey

Capes? And you know what I'd love to see? When a player scores a goal, his helmet starts firing T-shirts with his face emblazoned on them into the crowd. Now THAT would be awesome.

OMG I thought I was the only one! I'm so glad I'm not alone. We're both Flyers fans, though, so what do we know?

At what point did I say I condone TB's actions?

And oh a Flyers Fan! Wouldn't expect the word sportsmanship to mean much.

Old school - , carry on the conversation, but if you're going to stereotype us all into one you're going to get feedback.