Lucic and post game handshake

Old School Hockey

Lucic had 3 choices!

1. Go through the line and act like a man

2. Don't even get in line

3. Go through the line and act like a F-ing moron

He took 3 which makes an even bigger POS.

Wait - a Wings fan thinks not getting in line is an option?  Your team and fan base had PMS for weeks after the 2009 SCF because Crosby was (allegedly) late getting into line.

If you think the handshake line is a good idea then everyone on the ice and bench should be in it.

@ruxpin

I'll agree with you.

First - what Lucic did was poor sportsmanship. If the rule/tradition is "handshake line" then you best be in it and you best be nice about it.

But - it is forced and -for the most part - fake.  I agree - let the players just go and congratulate who they want to after the game.  If someone leaves the ice without congratulating anyone I'm sure he'll get spotted and criticized accordingly and as deservingly as Lucic is now. If someone really wants to let the other guy know he had a great series, he'll find them on the ice after the game.

Did any of the Bruins really want to wish Ulf well after he took out Neely?

Howabout any of the Wings exchanging pleasantries with Claude after the hit on  Draper? (After which Dino Cicarelli famously said  "I can't believe I shook this guy's friggin' hand after the game.")

What about any Senators wanting to shake hands with Pronger after the head shot that KO'd McAmmond?

I'm sure you can find a lot more examples. 

Howabout any of the Wings exchanging pleasantries with Claude after the hit on Draper?

If there were zippers on hockey pants, they could have said "Here Claude, shake this".

I think the only way one argues "most" is if one has a much lower standard of class/sportsmanship than what I'm talking about.  Walking down a line tapping a glove and saying "good job" over and over again like it might as well be tape recorded just because everyone else is doing it really doesn't qualify for my definition of sportsmanship.  It does for you.  That's cool.  We disagree, though.

How about when a player says next year I'm going to f-ing kill you. Is that considered good sportsmanship?

How about when a player says next year I'm going to f-ing kill you. Is that considered good sportsmanship?

Still waiting for a single post of yours on this thread to be remotely worth reading.   I very rarely use it, but ignore it is.

Still waiting for a single post of yours on this thread to be remotely worth reading.   I very rarely use it, but ignore it is.

Ha, don't know why I seen this coming, but I did. I know you don't use it often. Not like you did not provide ample opportunity for a legit discussion. 

Posted · Hidden by ruxpin, May 19, 2014 - Entirely Unnecessary
Hidden by ruxpin, May 19, 2014 - Entirely Unnecessary

Why announce it? Just do it! Do YOU feel better telling everyone you're doing it?

First - what Lucic did was poor sportsmanship. If the rule/tradition is "handshake line" then you best be in it and you best be nice about it.

But - it is forced and -for the most part - fake. I agree - let the players just go and congratulate who they want to after the game. If someone leaves the ice without congratulating anyone I'm sure he'll get spotted and criticized accordingly and as deservingly as Lucic is now. If someone really wants to let the other guy know he had a great series, he'll find them on the ice after the game.

Nicely and succinctly said.  Agree on both counts.

@jammer2

@ruxpin

Do we have another ToughFighter on our hands? ;)

Didn't he take issue with Flyers fans and sportsmanship? I was assuming that was a shot at the BSB days....which makes the "Old School Hockey" handle kinda...

Yes even in the BSB days when it was said and done with tons of bloodshed they took the time shake hands. BTW I did watch the finals of the BSB.

So Chelios should not have been allowed to play? He often did refuse and walk off the ice when his team lost. Ed Belfour did a few times too.

I don't mind that. While I think its still petty, it goes to the adage if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. But lucic talking trash in the line is garbage. I mean shite, even guys like Hextall and Clarke (whom both hated to lose) still had the gumption to go through the line. 

Yes even in the BSB days when it was said and done with tons of bloodshed they took the time shake hands.

You completely missed my point.

BTW I did watch the finals of the BSB.

Did you pick up your first date in a chariot, too?

Visit all 13 states as a kid?

Seals were enslaved?? How did that work out?? 

Well, the bottom of the cage/pool was a mess. But the good news is their bark was worse than their bite  [waits for the groans]

@B21

BTW I did watch the finals of the BSB.

Did you pick up your first date in a chariot, too?

Visit all 13 states as a kid?

LOL  Hey, be nice. I, too, watched the finals of the BSB and made it to both parades.   I wasn't old enough to drive yet (or drink--not at the same time, of course; that would be wrong).  I'm kind of hoping I get to go to another parade before I'm too old to drive (or drink--not at the same time, of course; that would be wrong).

Lets just be thankful he is out.  No finals for this jerk.  He is one of the most hated players in Buffalo for sure

But but but Don Cherry says good ole Canadian boy! Imagine Cherry if that were a Russian doing the same thing! I can hear it. "Those Russian players just don't understand the North American traditions!"

So I don't really care about the handshake issue anymore. I'm more concerned with the Bruins' hypocrisy moving forward. 

I'm talking about the chest thumping. 

I had read somewhere that the goal celebration that we saw from Krug and Lucic where each player pounded their chest, very similar to what Tarzan would do, was an homage to Wolf of Wall Street. Actually, take a look for yourself here:

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/2014/05/04/bruins-habs-milan-lucics-wolf-of-wall-street-chest-beat-celly-is-just-big-bad-gif/

The Canadiens hinted in their interviews after game 7 that they used this sort of thing as motivation to win, as they found this sort of thing "disrespectful". This coming to a climax when Milan Lucic utilized this celebration after scoring a gimme on an empty net goal. However, when Claude Julien was asked about this accusation of disrespect, he said that the celebration was in support of their efforts with "Boston Strong", the organization assembled to help those effected by the bombings of the Boston Marathon.

I think this is absolutely deplorable by the Bruins organization. You're so classless, that you hide behind an event in which people were killed? That is absolutely disgusting. The fact that this hasn't gotten much coverage is a tragedy, as the Bruins get to walk all over the memories of those lost in this tragedy so they can appear like better people. The Bruins organization should be ashamed of the way they finished the season, both on and off the ice.

had read somewhere that the goal celebration that we saw from Krug and Lucic where each player pounded their chest, very similar to what Tarzan would do, was an homage to Wolf of Wall Street. Actually, take a look for yourself here:

Are you kidding me? You take more offense to that than disrespect in the hand shake. I don't really care you don't want to shake hands. You don't want, just go to the dressing room. But if you are going to get in line, shake every players hand. 

On the chest thumping, have you ever seen Tiger William goal celebration where he rides his stick like a horse and pretends to whip it? At the end of the day, its entertainment and if a player is ecstatic for scoring a goal, its fine for me- as long as it is not engaging / taunting an opposition player (ie unsportsmanlike).

BTW, Wolf of Wall Street is a great movie. The fact it is fiction (to the degree that a movie can be), is even more compelling on revealing human nature, brilliance, and excess all in one.

Its rare in a movie season that not one, but TWO movies come out that are factually based and stunning movies (the other one being the Matthew Mchonahey -sp) movie.

I think this is absolutely deplorable by the Bruins organization. You're so classless, that you hide behind an event in which people were killed? That is absolutely disgusting. The fact that this hasn't gotten much coverage is a tragedy, as the Bruins get to walk all over the memories of those lost in this tragedy so they can appear like better people. The Bruins organization should be ashamed of the way they finished the season, both on and off the ice.

This is just completely idiotic to me. Do you even know what the players and Bruins organization did in the wake of that tragedy? Rarely do I get irked by another post, but this one is so moronic and disrespectful that my temper is high. I think Lucic is a punk, but I don't call him out for the chest thump thing and I think its atrocious to call out the Bruins organization regarding the tragedy for that.