If the Pens were to trade Malkin or Crosby...

B21

....to where and for who?

(I doubt it happens but this seems to be a popular solution for hat ails the Pens.)

If I am the Pens, I'd prefer a team in the West. It would have to be a team with some cap space (depending on what is coming back to the Pens).   It would need to be a team that has enough younger, cheaper talent to give up that can still contend.

Malkin to Nashville for Weber? ;)

Malkin to St. Louis for Shattenkirk, Oshie and a 1st? Shattenkirk and Tarasenko?

look for a team thats that one player away then look at there cap space and you'll see not many takers..main reason i hate the salary cap..so in other words blockbuster trades are a thing of the past

Let me rephrase the question:  Ifone of Malkin or Crosby would be traded who would the Pens fans want to get traded?  My money is that most would say Malkin b/c Crosby can do no wrong in the Burgh's eyes.  I dont mean that in a snarky kind of way either...  Maybe Crosby should be the one to get traded?  Maybe?

Let me rephrase the question: Ifone of Malkin or Crosby would be traded who would the Pens fans want to get traded? My money is that most would say Malkin b/c Crosby can do no wrong in the Burgh's eyes. I dont mean that in a snarky kind of way either... Maybe Crosby should be the one to get traded? Maybe?

Honestly as much of a beating as Sid is taking for this Rangers debacle, I'd send Malkin if I had to lose one. He's a great player but he won't go to the front if the net without the puck, he rarely back checks, he won't block shots but once in a blue moon, and he adopts the lazy Russian protocol too often for me to make him my captain.

We'll keep both though. ;)

I would keep Crosby for sure. 

Trading Malkin would be a smart move. His value is probably at its peak right now at 27, hitting his prime. He is useful to the Pens, no doubt.. but maybe he's more useful in a trade to get the pieces you think you need?

What could he fetch? What about Nurse out of Edmonton and the Oilers' 1st this year? 

It does leave a big hole at #2 center though!

Pittsburgh is rightfully in "go for it" mode.  So yeah, **** Darnell Nurse, they need guys that are ready NOW !

St Louis could use some more offense, I like the idea of Petreangelo and Terasenko for Malkin.  That kind of fixes things for both teams with out really gutting either one, Sutter could probably play second line and Vitale has 3rd line grinder written all over him.  Terasenko is the winger for Crosby and Petrangelo got ****ed with no foreplay in the Norris voting this year.

We are talking Shero here... maybe, so think big and think ridiculous throw ins like maybe he gets a St Louis' first round pick in 15 too and we're talking super duper stars best player in the world players.

I don't think Sidney gets traded, But if we're talking Edmonton Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Justin Shultz and a pick for Him or Geno ? .  I don't think there is "you get more" for either guy though. because I think either of those players puts asses in seats and can change franchises fortunes.

@ Bert - how about VLC and Hartnell for Maata? ;)

Honestly, I think when the smoke clears the Pens would be smart to hold onto both Malkin and Crosby.   Neal is an asset that can be traded.  It is obvious that he needs someone of a high skill set at Center for him to produce goals.  

@mojo1917

How about Backes, Tarasenko and Pietrangelo for Malkin and Letang. The Blues get a stud center and a gifted offensive Dman, the Pens get a nasty 2nd line center, a cheap talented up and coming winger for Crosby and a stud defenceman plus about $3 million in capspace. 

@flyercanuck

@mojo1917

Alright, fair enough. They need players for now. But Crosby's not even IN his prime yet, at least I don't think he is. He's got another 7-8 years of top level production, I would say. 

But point taken. 

Pietrangelo / Tarasenko makes sense. Not sure you'll pry Pietrangelo from them, though. Shattenkirk is a better bet, or Bouwmeester.

On a side note, Pietrangelo reminded me of Esposito (because they both end in 'o'?), so I looked up Angelo Esposito. Wow, did he ever just disappear. He's not even playing in NA anymore. Smart move by the Pens when they moved him for assets.

@flyercanuck

@mojo1917

Alright, fair enough. They need players for now. But Crosby's not even IN his prime yet, at least I don't think he is. He's got another 7-8 years of top level production, I would say. 

But point taken. 

Pietrangelo / Tarasenko makes sense. Not sure you'll pry Pietrangelo from them, though. Shattenkirk is a better bet, or Bouwmeester.

You're getting Malkin. And Letang in my scenario. Pitt gets a young winger, a young great Dman and a prime nasty center. I think that's a good deal for both. Plus Pitt gets 3 mil in capspace that they could use.

On a side note, Pietrangelo reminded me of Esposito (because they both end in 'o'?), so I looked up Angelo Esposito. Wow, did he ever just disappear. He's not even playing in NA anymore. Smart move by the Pens when they moved him for assets.

I got to watch AP here in junior. He was already NHL ready. Espo???? Bust of a pick. And the "assets" were there for a few months. Going the other way were two players Espo and a 1st. Ouch.

@mojo1917

How about Backes, Tarasenko and Pietrangelo for Malkin and Letang. The Blues get a stud center and a gifted offensive Dman, the Pens get a nasty 2nd line center, a cheap talented up and coming winger for Crosby and a stud defenceman plus about $3 million in capspace. 

that's a blockbuster right there and I have no doubt that Backes would be able to command some respect in the room.  

2 things

would Hitch be able to turn Malkinstien from a great offensive player into a a respectable two way player ? :ph34r:

is Letang trade-able due to the stroke thingy ?

that's a blockbuster right there and I have no doubt that Backes would be able to command some respect in the room.  

2 things

would Hitch be able to turn Malkinstien from a great offensive player into a a respectable two way player ? :ph34r:

is Letang trade-able due to the stroke thingy ?

1. See Therrien/Subban

2. I don't see why not if the Blues are ok with it.

Pittsburgh is rightfully in "go for it" mode.  So yeah, **** Darnell Nurse, they need guys that are ready NOW !

St Louis could use some more offense, I like the idea of Petreangelo and Terasenko for Malkin.  That kind of fixes things for both teams with out really gutting either one, Sutter could probably play second line and Vitale has 3rd line grinder written all over him.  Terasenko is the winger for Crosby and Petrangelo got ****ed with no foreplay in the Norris voting this year.

We are talking Shero here... maybe, so think big and think ridiculous throw ins like maybe he gets a St Louis' first round pick in 15 too and we're talking super duper stars best player in the world players.

I don't think Sidney gets traded, But if we're talking Edmonton Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Justin Shultz and a pick for Him or Geno ? .  I don't think there is "you get more" for either guy though. because I think either of those players puts asses in seats and can change franchises fortunes.

I wouldn't part with Pietrangelo if I am St. Louis but Shattenkirk and Tarasenko and a 1st for Malkin? Where do I sign?

I agree 100% about Malkin or Crosby (or any other player with similar star power) putting arses in the seats.

That said, if team that needs help with arses probably doesn't have enough to send back in return.

If Edmonton did that deal they'd have Malkin and a collection of stiffs. 

That's why it's got to be a contender who can offer what the Pens need in return.  I don't see a better fit than St. Louis.