Eastern Finals: Canadiens vs Rangers

hf101

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will earn the right to play for Lord Stanley's Cup?

This has the means for being an tight Eastern Conference duel as we have two solid netminders in goal.  In the two early meetings during the regular season the teams split with a low scoring games of 1-0 and 2-0. They also met on the last game of the season with the Canadiens winning in OT 1-0.  

I'm going with the Rangers in 7.  What do you all think?  Who earns the chance to play for the Cup?

I'm picking Montreal because their pre game ice fire thing the bomb !

that and my esophagus can't take all the throwing up in my mouth I did in the Pens V Rangers series... 

I know Boston and New York play a different type of hockey.  But, if Canadiens can beat The Bruins, then they can beat the Rangers.  As much as I like Martin St. Louis, I want Montreal to win.

There are guys who come out of "nowhere" in the playoffs.  If I was a member of Montreal's coaching staff, I'd keep an eye on Ranger's Boyle.  He's a good skater, doesn't mind getting his nose dirty, doesn't take dumb penalties, and is big and really tough to move. 

I'm going with the Rangers in 7.  What do you all think?  Who earns the chance to play for the Cup?

If you knock off the big boys (bruins), you have to be favored no matter what. The only edge the Rangers have is a bit more rest. 

I hate the Rangers (devils) style, so I am rooting for the Habitants all the way (plus, I would just like to see a Canadian team in the SCF). Also, say what you want about price, but all comers would shut their mouths if he garnished a Gold Medal and Stanley Cup ring in the same year (has that ever been done??). 

Edited by Vanflyer

As much as I like Martin St. Louis, I want Montreal to win.

St Louis has a ring. Its Briere's time. Truthfully, I don't think anyone is going to beat Chicago. They put it on cruise control half the time and still win. 

@Hockey Junkie

Here is a stat I did not know which offers an interesting note on this series... Lundqvist hasn't won since 2009 and hasn't even played in Montreal for the last two seasons as both Torts and Vigneault have played the backup when playing in Hab country.

That stat needs to be broken if the Rangers are to move on to the Stanley Cup.

Hmm...emotional and physical letdown after disposing of arch rival Boston for the Habs?

Could be.....

Rangers clearly had the extra jump, clearly dictated on almost every facet of the game...in fact, I mentioned to some on here how the Rangers looked like the damned Harlem Globetrotters at times against Montreal's hapless defense and goaltending!

Tic tac toe, score......pass, fake, pass shoot score....skate, rush, pass, score...you get the idea... all while the Canadiens' defense looked like a bunch of fans going "oooo, ahhh" in wonderment at the Rangers handling of the puck in their zone.

Ridiculous (as in beyond stupid) penalties taken and turnovers certainly didn't help the Habs' cases either.

I gotta believe that after that horrendous start to the ECF, Montreal simply has to throw that one in the trash can, forget it ever happened, and start Game 2 as if they are rested, ready to go and are going for a 1-0 series lead.

That's the mentality to have after being thoroughly embarrassed like they were in that Game 1 that won't matter.....err, unless of course they lose the series by a game, then they can ALL lament Game 1 together on the golf course... :)

Seriously though, Habs WILL come out better in Game 2. They have to.

Hard to believe that the same team who swept away a very good (albeit inexperienced, green and without Bishop) Lightning team, beat the defending Eastern Conference champions, AND caused Milan Lucic to have a complete breast re-alignment, is the same team that looked like a HS hockey squad compared to the Rangers in this particular games.

The Rangers have proven themselves to be pretty good, pretty resilient, and pretty resourceful, but the Rangers are NOT that much above the Canadiens (if at all) that one should take that 7-2 score and go, "Oh yea, not surprising NY did that".

That all said, I've said it before in prior series, the Canadiens have had a habit of leaving golden opportunities for the other teams in the form of massive defensive gaffes, piss poor coverage, or flat out handing the puck over to the opposition.

The Lightning couldn't get their stage fright in check to take advantage of it, the Bruins were a bit slow to take advantage of it, but the Rangers, well, they look every bit the part of the team that can and WILL take advantage of Montreal's gi-normous lapses if they persist on doing that.

If there was ever an opportunistic team in these playoffs, the NYR are proving to be just that.

As for NY, they better not kid themselves into thinking the rest of the series will go anything close to how Game 1 went.

But you know, like him or not, I don't think Alain Vigneault will let his team get complacent. They need look no further than the last 10 min of Game 1 to make a point of how 'letting up' can be a dangerous thing.

NY seemed to have the 'right' names show up on the production sheet: Richards, Nash, St. Louis, Krieder, Stepan for example.

If the Blueshirts can get those guys playing like they are supposed to consistently, and Montreal continues the defensive brain fart lapses, the Habs could find themselves on the losing end of the handshake line sooner than later....with Milan Lucic enjoying the spectacle... :)

Very surprised by the series after 2 games...the Habs cannot solve the king. If we are going to talk goalies stealing series...this might be the one. He was AMAZING in game 2 and just "great" in game 1 especially in the second when the Habs pushed back.

Lundquist is only the A #1 special player in the world !

• Like 1

.you could almost see it coming. It'll be hard for them to collectively hate the Rangers more than the Bruins.

If only the Bruins would trade Lucic to the Rangers would their be a snowballs chance in hell of the Habitants winning now. No Price, no victory. The majority here (me included) at the onset picked the Habs. I don't mind the one game hangover from the Bruins series but this last game was lackluster as well. Not to the extent of the first game, but enough to conclude that there will not be enough in the tank to come back. The rookie goalie did not lose it for the Habs and King Henry did enough to sustain win. 

In all frankness, this series is over, the Rangers are going to represent the East. Done.

Do they have enough to defeat the Kings/Hawks?

In my opinion there disciplined style will keep the games close but they cannot beat either one. No disrespect against the Rags, a friend of mine is a huge Ranger fan who was sick to his stomach over the 'coach trade' with the Canucks, not that he wanted Fonzy but he just hated Alain. Truth is the guy has done a wonderful job with his club.

The fact the Rangers and Habs are participating in the ECF, just shows how very weak the East is....it is very much wide open. I will always stick my the assertion that the Flyers would have beat the Rangers if Mason played any of the first 3 games. It could very easily be us playing the Habs rather than the Rags. The way things sit now, the Flyers need to add 2-3 quality players and that would very much put them in the chase in the East.

The fact the Rangers and Habs are participating in the ECF, just shows how very weak the East is....it is very much wide open. I will always stick my the assertion that the Flyers would have beat the Rangers if Mason played any of the first 3 games. It could very easily be us playing the Habs rather than the Rags. The way things sit now, the Flyers need to add 2-3 quality players and that would very much put them in the chase in the East.

I am just happy to see someone other than the Bruins or Penguins in the Conference Finals. Like your Flyers, my Wings are a player or two away from hanging with these guys. Of course you can say that about almost everyone in the East......

@Hockey Junkie   I think P.K steps up tonight and dominates this game. It may be just putting off the inevitable, but I do believe Subban takes over this game tonight. Even if the Habs push it to 7, they then face the daunting task of beating King Lundy in a game 7.... A puzzle that no other team has been able to solve.

I think P.K steps up tonight and dominates this game.

PK has one of the worst games he's played in the playoffs- every aspect of his tool kit was b / c level. The Habs looked like boys playing against men, with exception to Tokarski. Bummer Tokarski is 3rd behind Bjudai and Price in Montreal. He looks ready for at least a back-up role in the bigs. 

Montreal is going to throw the kitchen sink at them in the 3rd.  The Rangers can not sit back.  They must try and score again, especially with a huge advantage in the nets

That kitchen sink was minny mouses kitchen sink. What a dominate effort by the Rangers in the third. I have not seen something like that since Detroit was running circles against the Flyers in the SCF. 

Vanek is a nice player. For the numbers being thrown around, I think overrated. He is like the Briere antithesis. Plays well during the regular season but chokes in the playoffs. 

And Vanek forced that penalty by crashing the net. You can see what a beast he can be.

Vanek: ZERO goals and two assists in the series against the Rangers. Hardly a beast!