Gus signs with KHL; Flyers to Qualify to retain rights

And there's more......

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=29434

seems he's getting an offer anyway ......

Yes they will qualify him to retain his rights so if he wants back in the NHL the Flyers will have a say so.

They ain't fools and its a way to keep player from using the KHL as leverage.

So who knows in a couple years if he gets better he could be back.

Or later they can trade his right to some other team that wants to take a chance on him.

No mater what was said in the exit interview he saw the writing on the wall with Ghost, Hagg and Morin a couple years away he knew he wasn't going to make if full time on the BIG club because there is things he still needs to work on.

And i just know the Flyers are penciling in Ghost for next year and they don't want to just lose him for nothing with the log jam waiver wire like Nodl....they want something for him even if it's a 17th round draft pick. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

Our last memory of Guys at least he made it a good one if everyone else could have just found this type of speed and sniping power who knows...

iVO8XAnd8swqn.gif

Buh bye Gus maybe we see you again soon........good lord i hope you don't become another former Flyer to burn them in a game!!!!!

So who knows in a couple years if he gets better he could be back.

Does seem like a very low risk, high potential reward scenario.

He couldn't realistically be in Adirondack, and will get a lot more TOI in the KHL than he would have here.

Does seem like a very low risk, high potential reward scenario.

He couldn't realistically be in Adirondack, and will get a lot more TOI in the KHL than he would have here.

Iwas wondering though is this his way of circumventing the CBA??

Because he will turn 26 in December and would have been a UFa at 27 if he had signed a bridge deal....so i wonder no matter what would the Flyers still own his rights and he be denied UFA status...really don't know.

Could this just be leverage for his bridge type deal a lot of questions i don't have answers for...maybe some one here better versed in the CBA knows and can shed some light on it.

But if i'm a betting man i'm sure since he left with the Flyers owning his rights regardless of his age it would seem the Flyers would still own his rights.

Kina sorta like Nashville and the Radulov situation a year or so ago.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

i don't think there is anything smelly going on with this.  i think more than strategizing for UFA-hood, his projected usage in north america next season was just not what he was looking for.  he has to be real close to waiver eligibility.  if he crosses that threshold, he is pretty much eliminated from the flyers' call-up list.  which means that if he didn't start next season with the flyers, there's a good chance he wouldn't see any time with them at all.  he doesn't fancy himself a career AHLer, so he headed back to europe.  the flyer will qualify him, and thus retain his rights until next summer.  at which point, i *think* they could qualify him again, if they really wanted to.

@OccamsRazor

i don't think there is anything smelly going on with this.  i think more than strategizing for UFA-hood, his projected usage in north america next season was just not what he was looking for.  he has to be real close to waiver eligibility.  if he crosses that threshold, he is pretty much eliminated from the flyers' call-up list.  which means that if he didn't start next season with the flyers, there's a good chance he wouldn't see any time with them at all.  he doesn't fancy himself a career AHLer, so he headed back to europe.  the flyer will qualify him, and thus retain his rights until next summer.  at which point, i *think* they could qualify him again, if they really wanted to.

Yes from what i've found he won't just be able to come back a UFA as long as the Flyers qualify him which they said they will do so if he wants to come back to the NHL say even at 28 Flyer will own his rights...as long as he is qualified.

Yes from what i've found he won't just be able to come back a UFA as long as the Flyers qualify him which they said they will do so if he wants to come back to the NHL say even at 28 Flyer will own his rights...as long as he is qualified.

i don't think so.  his RFA status will run out when he is 27.  from there, he is UFA, and there are no qualifying offers for those.

he will be RFA next summer, i think, but would be UFA the summer after that (because he'd turn 28 after the mid-september birthday cut off of the previous year).  he would be free to negotiate with any team at that point.

Also forgotten in all this year hoopla and the Ghsot and Hagg stuff is Mark Alt.

He has good size at 6-4 210 and is a right hand shot and in his first year with the Phantoms 75 gp scored 4 goals and 22 assist 26 points 31 PIMs with really no talent to help him on the blueline till Hagg got there the last week of the season.

So he maybe the one the front office wants to give every opportunity to snag that 6th/7th Dman spot. He will be 23 in October too.

Any ways food for thought.

i don't think so.  his RFA status will run out when he is 27.  from there, he is UFA, and there are no qualifying offers for those.

he will be RFA next summer, i think, but would be UFA the summer after that (because he'd turn 28 after the mid-september birthday cut off of the previous year).  he would be free to negotiate with any team at that point.

You maybe right but if you are it seems we could see many guys trying to do this either way he for what i've seen is just an average player.  I guess we'll see.

You maybe right but if you are it seems we could see many guys trying to do this either way he for what i've seen is just an average player.

trying to do what, though?  he will be UFA in two years no matter what (unless he signs a three year or longer contract, obviously).  the question is does he play here or there?  it makes no difference as regards his free agency status.  he'd make a lot more money in the NHL, but there's a fair chance he wouldn't get many NHL-rate pay days, so...he heads closer to home.

i don't think there are any maneuverings going on, just a guy whose chances at the NHL have largely slipped away deciding to give it a go elsewhere.

I think this is one of the deals they made - that players who are RFA and bolt to the KHL will have their rights retained by the club they left.

Allowing a 24-25 yo to simply take a two year, potentially more lucrative deal in the KHL and then be a full flight UFA in the NHL would be completely counterproductive.

I don't think this is at all "circumvention" - I think this is a player who wants to play and has used up waiver eligibility (has to be on NHL roster or all year in AHL) and decided playing two years in the KHL full time would be better than passing the popcorn for the Flyers.

Could work out terrifically for both sides - I think much like the Vasiliev decision. Including those two players' rights and the Flyers "organizational" defensive depth gets a little deeper.

trying to do what, though?

Mad at their team who own their rights and instead of signing the qualifying offer and getting leverage in the situation. Flyer will get nothing for him and he'll just be able to just come back and sign where ever he wants. Just doesn't seem right for the teams.

But i suggested earlier like with Nashville and Radulov deal the Preds chose not to qualify him so that isn't the best example.

I'm not blaming Gus that is smart if that is what you want to do and give the finger to the Flyers hey more power to him.

Mad at their team who own their rights and instead of signing the qualifying offer and getting leverage in the situation. Flyer will get nothing for him and he'll just be able to just come back and sign where ever he wants. Just doesn't seem right for the teams.

ah, ok.  thing is, he could do the same here, if he wanted.  refuse the qualifying offer and then sign an AHL contract with whoever.  if the idea was to sever ties with a particular NHL club.  and chances are, he'd make about the same money in the AHL as he will in europe, so.....  i really think its just a matter of giving up the idea of an NHL career and heading home.

I think this is one of the deals they made - that players who are RFA and bolt to the KHL will have their rights retained by the club they left.

i know that is true of unsigned draftees, their rights are retained by the drafting NHL team for a long long time if they never sign a contract.  i'm not familiar with a similar provision for players who have played over here and had a valid contract.  i thought they were treated like any other RFA.  i could totally be wrong.

ah, ok.  thing is, he could do the same here, if he wanted.  refuse the qualifying offer and then sign an AHL contract with whoever.  if the idea was to sever ties with a particular NHL club.  and chances are, he'd make about the same money in the AHL as he will in europe, so.....  i really think its just a matter of giving up the idea of an NHL career and heading home.

Yeah it could and the reality depending on what was said in the exit meeting he realizes with all the other young guys he ain't getting a shot with the Flyers so it's time to move on.

And the Flyer will protect their best interest in qualifying him. So he could have a out clause in his KHL contract point is it's not like he was some superior talent leaving so there are others that can fill his shoes with maybe waiver exemption which he had none left.

I wish him luck and ain't mad at him.

Mark Alt will take his spot maybe for example and he has waiver exemption for wiggle room.

the timing of his callups just sucked for Gus. He probably would've kept building on the good outing he had in the POs but the Flyers were eliminated - so Gus is left to consider the chances he lands a roster spot in camp based on a tiny sample of good work against the Rangers. Obviously the Flyers' coaching staff has/had no great love for the guy.

Too bad for everyone, maybe the Flyers most of all. He looked like night-n-day better in the POs than he did earlier in the season. It looked like the time with the Phantoms had done him good. Now we'll never know how good he might've been.

Let's not oversell Gus here. He looked fast in comparison to our shot blockers, but he wasn't actually fast. He was above average in speed.

He wasn't that smart under pressure either. Relative to some of our defenseman's greatest blunders, sure. But not overall. See MacDaddy's first month in Philly.

Aziz's post makes a lot of sense. Good enough to play in the NHL, but not good enough to force his way into a lineup. Nothing wrong with that. I know I'll never skate for the Flyers.

I wish Gus the best, and hope he learned a lot from the beginning of this season. That effectively killed his career.

Great posts by you and aziz. Maybe he eventually shows something but he really hasn't yet.

I remember a bunch of us yelling to run Seidenberg out of town, so I'm trying to be careful not to insist on any prognosis, but I kind of see him very similarly to the way you, aziz, and MC do.

Oddly enough, Gustaffson played one fewer game (91) and had two more points for the Flyers than another "Euro" player who was disappointing and never going to develop into anything important.

Dennis Seidenberg.

Not that I think Dennis Seidenberg is the second coming of Bobby Orr, just that it's another potential example of the Flyers simply not developing their players.

Depending on what Gustaffson develops into.

Funny that you and I both went to Seidenberg. I think it's quite apt.

Seriously, MC? Do you honestly believe that Gus was not good enough to be at the very least a 6th NHL defenseman?

They mishandled him, and it comes down to the grass is greener mentality of this team. Funny how that's the approach they take with players, but the take the opposite approach with front office people.

In any case, there's just no way that Gus was not AT LEAST as good as Gervais, Foster, Gill, Lilja, and Walker.

Brel... I have never been on the Gus Bus truthfully. I think he is a 6 or 7 on most NHL teams. Gus is not a young prospect anymore and has never truly taken his opportunities and grabbed them. With that being said I do think he was grossly mishandled by Berube this year.

I don't expect much from him frankly but I do think he deserved more of a shot than he was given. If you can't snatch a spot within this Very average d core then maybe he is just not a good enough player.

I see a kid that played in the A for a while but I don't and have not ever considered him a true prospect for this team. Just never fell in love with the kid...

I am probably wrong but that is just the way I feel. He obviously felt the KHL was a better deal and I would not suspect many NHL squads to be beating down his door.

Just my 2 cents man... Was never a big fan

Edited by murraycraven

I guess best case scenario is Gus gets a ton of playing time in the KHL, works out all the kinks and comes back to the Flyers a finished product in a few years. The KHL gets all the growing pains, and we eventually get a very useful d-man. Worst case is becomes a star, eventually comes back when he's a UFA and goes to a division rival and he burns us continually....lol.