Gus signs with KHL; Flyers to Qualify to retain rights

Brel... I have never been on the Gus Bus truthfully. I think he is a 6 or 7 on most NHL teams. Gus is not a young prospect anymore and has never truly taken his opportunities and grabbed them. With that being said I do think he was grossly mishandled by Berube this year.

I don't expect much from him frankly but I do think he deserved more of a shot than he was given. If you can't snatch a spot within this Very average d core then maybe he is just not a good enough player.

I see a kid that played in the A for a while but I don't and have not ever considered him a true prospect for this team. Just never fell in love with the kid...

I am probably wrong but that is just the way I feel. He obviously felt the KHL was a better deal and I would not suspect many NHL squads to be beating down his door.

Just my 2 cents man... Was never a big fan

I'm not on any Gus Bus but I guess I just don't understand why the team would rather play a Gill or Lilja over Gus. Both those guys are dinosaurs in this NHL and the Flyers are dinosaurs in their thinking sometimes, so there's that.

thanks for the info - so he didn't play for the Phantoms all year...stuck in the press box watching the Flyers blue line get buried in their own zone. Man now I *really* understand why he said "fk it" and made the move.

Yes i was tell someone them other day in the Ducks Gibson thread i had just read one of his interviews at the WC and even was quoted as actually saying that" You can't get better and work on your game as a healthy scratch...."

I mean there was no reading between the line or anything he said it....and you could just tell he wasn't happy and in that thread i said Gus may not be back and BAM  a couple days we read he signed a contract with the KHL.

And really i agreed with him and can't really blame him. I know he was pissed when Gill got the call before him it would have set me off too. Obviously it seems in the exit interview it may have been relayed he wasn't in their future plans...not sure maybe more truth will come out later.

To just let him walk, favoring older, slower guys in the process... I think it's a mistake the Flyers will regret.

They're not letting him walk. He's under contract now, and it sounds like the Flyers will qualify him, so he will still be under contract.

Gus is the one who wants to bail. Can't say I blame him.

They're not letting him walk. He's under contract now, and it sounds like the Flyers will qualify him, so he will still be under contract.

Well from a strategic/development stand point not all is lost. Here me out if management has sat down and been honest with him (i know that is a stretch) and told him....

Hexy:  "Hey you still need to work on your game and we really can't let you work on that on with the BIG club and you don't have waiver exemption to pass through waiver to go to the Phantoms...we suggest you sign for a year in the KHL to work on development and we'll qualify you and keep your rights and then we'll revisit this next year to see if you can help us when Kimmo does hang it up."

Gus: "Ok makes sense i'll look into it."

Now in now way do i know that is what happened i'm just trying to make sense of it and trying to figure out what the hell they are thinking.

This canoli.

I understand needing to give ice time, but he frankly LOST it early in the season. He just wasn't good enough or strong enough to stick, and he needed to put up or shut up.

Let's hope he can develop with more TOI on a lesser team. For now, next man up. Let's see who they are and what they've got.

• Like 1

For now, next man up. Let's see who they are and what they've got.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they may give Mark Alt every chance to seize the job out of camp.

He bring size @ 6-4 210 and a pretty decent skater form what i read and is a right hand shot that put up 4 gls 22 ast with really no talent on the Phantoms until Hagg arrived real late.

He'll be 23 in October. So that would be my guess.

yeah "letting him walk" is incorrect - I was thinking more in terms of how they managed him, now in effect letting him walk out the door to Sweden without any effort to persuade him to stay.

But apparently the Flyers have no intention of persuading him to stick around for next year and I think that's kind of stupid. Didn't G6 (plus a few other brief spells with the Flyers) convince the coaches he was worth developing? Obviously not.

Oh well...maybe he's no great loss but it sure seems like he has what the "new NHL" requires of a defenseman: speed / mobility and brains. More size and muscle would've helped and maybe he wasn't willing to work hard to develop his core muscles. Who knows? Just sort of sucks that a fast, puck-moving D-man who's only 25 didn't get a longer, more patient look.

Maybe the Flyers are using the KHL to develop Gus, leaving a free slot in the AHL and NHL?

That is what i suggested a couple post up cause he ain't waiver exempt and really there is no room in the A now that Hagg and Ghost have been added and the kids (19 and 21)get the priority and well Gus really ain't a kid no more (he'll be 26 in december).

There just isn't room in the A for him. So maybe this move was premeditated by Hexy and gang...he goes over seas, they qualify him he doesn't sign it they keep his rights yet it won't count as one of the 50 contracts cause he didn't sign it.

Its a win win he goes over and develops and next year when Kimmo has retired he could return...just guessing who knows.

No proof to any of this just trying to make sense of it.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'm not on any Gus Bus but I guess I just don't understand why the team would rather play a Gill or Lilja over Gus. Both those guys are dinosaurs in this NHL and the Flyers are dinosaurs in their thinking sometimes, so there's that.

No argument there Brelic!!

Yeah it was a strange choice but two thing Gus isn't really physical and isn't big in stature 5-10 180...and got pushed around alot around the goal mouth..the only reason i can see them putting Gill in over Gus.

Basically the same reason everyone keeps saying not to put Ghost in he's not big enough blah blah blah....yet Ghost has waaaaay better vision and is really under rated in his own zone yet not BIG in stature.

And i'll give Ghost a year more to put on some more muscle it couldn't hurt...but with his frame he is more than like going to only top out at 185. But hey he has time.