Gus signs with KHL; Flyers to Qualify to retain rights

Gustafsson was still a RFA.  Interesting, I thought there was something in the CBA / or KHL agreement which helped limit RFA's from booting to the KHL such as Radolov?

wow that's ... surprising ... I guess it's hard to turn down big money - no matter what the deal is I'm sure it's much more than he would've gotten from the Flyers this summer.

Gustafsson was still a RFA. Interesting, I thought there was something in the CBA / or KHL agreement which helped limit RFA's from booting to the KHL such as Radolov?

Only if they actually have a contract. As a free agent, they can do what they want.

Oh well... I am one of the few that never really saw Gus as an everyday player. Was never really all that high on him and seemd to never earn a spot when given the chance.

Maybe they resign Hal Gill as the 7th dman...(insert ninja)

Oh well... I am one of the few that never really saw Gus as an everyday player. Was never really all that high on him and seemd to never earn a spot when given the chance.

Maybe they resign Hal Gill as the 7th dman...(insert ninja)

Seriously, MC? Do you honestly believe that Gus was not good enough to be at the very least a 6th NHL defenseman? 

They mishandled him, and it comes down to the grass is greener mentality of this team. Funny how that's the approach they take with players, but the take the opposite approach with front office people.

In any case, there's just no way that Gus was not AT LEAST as good as Gervais, Foster, Gill, Lilja, and Walker.

I think Gus saw the writing on the wall, there are some more able bodied players in the system that will get longer looks than he would.  I hope hockey works out for him, I thought he might be a good bottom pairing second PP type player on an ideal team but truthfully thought he was not good this year and never seized the moment when given an opportunity. 

He has a size disadvantage and did not show enough other plus attributes to overcome that disadvantage.  At least this year,he wasn't skating great he wasn't making the great first pass, he got owned along the boards, it was a tough year for him and I hope he works out in the KHL.

Disappointed. Gus had the potential to be a Timonen clone in a few years time. He needed to continue to add muscle and strength.

You finally get some young D-men and start developing them and then let them walk...

Disappointed. Gus had the potential to be a Timonen clone in a few years time. He needed to continue to add muscle and strength.

You finally get some young D-men and start developing them and then let them walk...

Maybe the organization felt he was another Bartilus?

@doom88

Our track record developing D-men is just abysmal. Until we get that mindset changed and get some people down on the farm who can develop D-men we will forever be price takers in the UFA market, lurching from bad deal to bad deal. 

I'm not saying Gus was a future Norris winner, but he was the perfect embodiment of the next generation of D-man: smart and mobile 

Maybe the organization felt he was another Bartilus?

Or it was his decision. I imagine Berube had an end of season interview with him, and may have been pretty frank. Most of the NHL slots are already full, and there are several promising kids on their way... Gus was pinched in the middle, not good enough to push one of the signed vets out, not good enough to block one of the younger kids.... And so he decided to go where he'd get regular ice time.

• Like 2

OR IS HE?

This was just tweeted by the Flyers:

#Flyers GM Ron Hextall is aware of the reports regarding Erik Gustafsson but he has not been contacted by the player or his agent.

interesting days in twitterland.......

OR IS HE?

This was just tweeted by the Flyers:

#Flyers GM Ron Hextall is aware of the reports regarding Erik Gustafsson but he has not been contacted by the player or his agent.

interesting days in twitterland.......

His agent contacted Homer. He didn't get the news in Sweden.

:ph34r:

Let's not oversell Gus here. He looked fast in comparison to our shot blockers, but he wasn't actually fast. He was above average in speed.

He wasn't that smart under pressure either. Relative to some of our defenseman's greatest blunders, sure. But not overall. See MacDaddy's first month in Philly.

Aziz's post makes a lot of sense. Good enough to play in the NHL, but not good enough to force his way into a lineup. Nothing wrong with that. I know I'll never skate for the Flyers.

I wish Gus the best, and hope he learned a lot from the beginning of this season. That effectively killed his career.

I thought the exact same thing.  He brought much needed mobility and finesse, just needed to iron out a few wrinkles, you know...the kinda thing that comes with actual playing time. This org screwed the pooch on this kid from the very start. I always felt he had the talent locked up in there, but never got the playing time or paired with the right guy to mature and grow. If things fell his way, he might have even been playing in the all star game.....this sucks!!

Oddly enough, Gustaffson played one fewer game (91) and had two more points for the Flyers than another "Euro" player who was disappointing and never going to develop into anything important.

Dennis Seidenberg.

Not that I think Dennis Seidenberg is the second coming of Bobby Orr, just that it's another potential example of the Flyers simply not developing their players.

Depending on what Gustaffson develops into.

Per the Flyers' stenography department, Flyers plan to qualify Gustafsson

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=29434

If there is any speculation that the Flyers may have told Gustafsson during his exit interview on break-up day that he wasn’t going to be in their future plans, that would be wrong.

I have been told that the Flyers were planning on extending Gustafsson a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent – and will still do so – meaning they will retain his NHL rights if and when he were to return from the KHL – assuming the report is accurate.

It’s a safe and smart move by the Flyers who can retain Gustafsson as an asset without any penalty as he would not count against the Flyers roster limit of 50 contracts unless the deal is signed, in which case he’d be back in the NHL.

Otherwise, Gustafsson would remain on the Flyers Reserve List.