Shero fired, Bylsma on hot seat

brelic

It's official.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452306

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Pittsburgh Penguins have fired general manager Ray Shero while the status of coach Dan Bylsma will be evaluated.

Team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle said Friday it was time to take the franchise in a new direction after the team's latest playoff flameout.

Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as general manager on an interim basis while the team searches for Shero's replacement.

The Penguins rolled to the Metropolitan Division title this season but failed yet again to produce a bookend to the championship it won with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in 2009.

Pittsburgh is just 4-5 in playoff series since raising the Stanley Cup, including a loss to the New York Rangers in the second round this week.

Beat me to it Brelic!

Bylsma seems to have lost the team and I still argue that Shero might be one of the most overrated GMs in the game. Gifted two world class hockey players and has really done nothing since...

I hope Shero does not call Hextall...

Edited by murraycraven

His track record is pretty terrible honestly. He is another version of Clarke in terms of always mortgaging the future for the current roster. They have developed no forwards, traded 1st rounders and use FA to try and win now. Sooner or later it is not going to work...

Beat me to it Brelic!

Bylsma seems to have lost the team and I still argue that Shero might be one of the most overrated GMs in the game. Gifted two world class hickey players and has really done nothing since...

I hope Shero does not call Hextall...

I know winning is hard and there are 29 other teams trying to do the same thing (I hear this at every Flyers Townhall from our brass) but you have to do better than just 1 cup and 0 finals appearances afterwards with the 2 generational players that you have on the team I am sorry.  You cannot waste a window like they have been doing.  I was fully prepared to grab the ankles and take all these Pens cups in the last few years and have been very pleasantly surprised how they would flame out in the playoffs year after year to lesser teams (including the Flyers).

As for you Murray, love that autocorrect (which you now fixed), and the 2 world class hickey players! (Ugh bad image of Crosby and Malkin planting ones on each others necks)

Edited by Poulin20

@murraycraven

Whoever become the new gm - first order of business IMO, get rid of Letangs contract before NTC kicks in. There are plenty of teams that will line up for his skill and you could get a nice haul. I just think Pittsburgh has way too much tied up in Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Fleury

I don't see any mention of replacements. I wonder if that will be addressed in the presser.

If there is no immediate replacement, I like this approach. It means they made the decision to let them go separate from who will fill their seats. It gives them the time necessary to properly vet candidates and get the people (coach and GM) they believe can get the jobs done.

All the Flyers ever do is shuffle the org chart.

This is good for the Pens.

wow  just wow.

i'm in the minority in the thread so far as I think Shero is a good hockey man and will not be without work for long.

by showing loyalty to his coach he got canned, and while i know it's a business, that sucks.

I also don't think Blysma is a terrible coach,he has some short comings but I think the problem is the players, specifically the star player, who refuses to learn from past failures . 

by all accounts these are decent and reasonably competent people that are getting axed because you can't fire the players. 

I still think Shero is a top 5 GM, and its not a minority thought at all. Our own GM bracket here substantiated it. But he threw his support behind a falling Bylsma, who for all his regular season success and NHL record, fails when it counts.

Bye bye Disco Dan. Thanks for the Cup and good luck wherever you land.

Ray Ray thanks for building around those two and your work getting the first Cup. Great job on all the "throw ins" and Staal issue. I agree with the "Shero is Not the Problem" thread pal, but you threw in with Danny Boy and its time for a change. Best of luck wherever you go!

There's a rumour on the HF boards (from Bobby Mac) about hiring Crosbys agent as gm. Hey if he can pick wingers for Team Canada why not the gm?

Another option could be Pierre McGuire. The question is, if the did hire him would they go by Mr. and Mrs. McGuire or Crosby?  :lol:

You guys get your chuckles in... But at least Lemieux pulled the trigger when they weren't winning Cups rather than, as you guys put it, "more of the same". Lol

We are...don't take it personal. You guys have had your fun with Homer. Hey, what about Homer for gm?

As for calling for the two of them to be fired...now that they have been, I'm worried they'll hire someone who will improve the team!

• Like 1

There's a rumour on the HF boards (from Bobby Mac) about hiring Crosbys agent as gm. Hey if he can pick wingers for Team Canada why not the gm?

Another option could be Pierre McGuire. The question is, if the did hire him would they go by Mr. and Mrs. McGuire or Crosby?  :lol:

Regis would ensure all Penguins players had a Big Body Presence and maintain active sticks!

@mojo1917

I was the first to say Milbury was coach and Regis was GM! Lol. I was just laughing along with you.

Bylsma NOT fired. Just Shero... For now...

i guess i missed that, glad you took it in the spirit in which it was intended.

plus adding the pro wrestling feel never hurts

Edited by mojo1917