Shero fired, Bylsma on hot seat

brelic

@murraycraven

Great minds think alike!

But honestly it seems like our resident Pens fans went from big Shero fans to reality once they looked at what he's actually NOT done there.

Not this Pens fan.

And you said "overrated". So "overrated" = "good - not great"?

Just admit you think he is a bad GM. ;)

Updated the original story and link.

What do you Pens fans think about firing only Shero? Was it the right move? Can this team continue with a new GM and Bylsma?

Could this be a message to the players?

I'm sure the thought process is the new GM comes in "evaluates" and then wants "his guy" I don't think Dan Blysma is long for the Penguins organization.  I just think it is hard to just up and fire the alltime best winning percentage coach in franchise history. 

Updated the original story and link.

What do you Pens fans think about firing only Shero? Was it the right move? Can this team continue with a new GM and Bylsma?

Could this be a message to the players?

If Bylsma stays I will be livid.  I'd be shocked if that happens but still.  I doubt this is a message to the players though ("You will listen to Dan or else...").

I want to think they will leave it up to the next GM.

If Bylsma stays I will be livid.  I'd be shocked if that happens but still.  I doubt this is a message to the players though ("You will listen to Dan or else...").

I want to think they will leave it up to the next GM.

It just doesn't make much sense to keep Danny Boy.  Perhaps teh thinking here is Shero didn't get him the players he needed so let's get the new GM and then see what Danny Boy can do?  Not sure I woudl agree with that rationale, but at least that would be the only reasonable explanation to me...

Howdy:

Here is the news from Pitt:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24564341/penguins-fire-ray-shero-new-gm-to-decide-dan-bylsmas-fate

They have gone 4-5 in playoffs since their 2009 Cup. I guess this is unexpected in that light given the apparent talent level. I am sure he will go somewhere. But I have to wonder if this is an implicit comment on the team's character. They have "talent" but it seems to fall apart late season and playoffs. 

From a broader perspective, you might say that the Rags, Boston, and Pitt may have hit their tops.  We may be heading forward in the East. 

Best,

Howie

It's official.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452306

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Pittsburgh Penguins have fired general manager Ray Shero while the status of coach Dan Bylsma will be evaluated.

Team co-owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle said Friday it was time to take the franchise in a new direction after the team's latest playoff flameout.

Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as general manager on an interim basis while the team searches for Shero's replacement.

The Penguins rolled to the Metropolitan Division title this season but failed yet again to produce a bookend to the championship it won with stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in 2009.

Pittsburgh is just 4-5 in playoff series since raising the Stanley Cup, including a loss to the New York Rangers in the second round this week.

I don't really get the not firing Blysma thing. Shite always rolls down hill. 

This is a pretty good read bye Kevin Weekes (on NHL.com no less): 

//www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=29436&navid=DL|NHL|home

It is most of the other burgh folks that seem to think he is great.

In all fairness, the two guys that post the most here from Pens (B21 / Polaris) both were adamant about his demise (but Blysma first). 

You can't count the country bunkins with no teeth thinking Shero is great. They would think a piece of bubble gum stuck under a table at a pizza parlor was great. 

They have developed no forwards, traded 1st rounders and use FA to try and win now.

In all fairness (and Polaris / B21 could weigh in better than I), their farm team is pretty good and has been for a few years (certainly much better than the Phantoms). In that vein, should we fire Homer because our farm team sucks worse (much) than Pitts?? Rhetorical question of course. 

If there is no immediate replacement, I like this approach. It means they made the decision to let them go separate from who will fill their seats. It gives them the time necessary to properly vet candidates and get the people (coach and GM) they believe can get the jobs done.

Two points: 

1) its rare that a replacement is immediately selected / announced (think Van, etc.). 

2) There is some urgency because of the draft (or perhaps Lemieux etc. handle that). Yet, if I am their new GM, I want my footprint on the team moving forward and an integral part of that is the draft. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I have been preaching that for months. There is another thread (w/in days) that I espouse on that topic.

Anyone who thinks they should trade either Crosby or Malkin is probably right :)

Hey, what do you think of malkin to San Jose for Thornton? Probably have to add a little somepin somepin to make the finances work, but it would help San Jose and I think Thornton would be a monster in Pittsburgh as second line center on a team where no one likes to him to be "the man."

Two points:

1) its rare that a replacement is immediately selected / announced (think Van, etc.).

2) There is some urgency because of the draft (or perhaps Lemieux etc. handle that). Yet, if I am their new GM, I want my footprint on the team moving forward and an integral part of that is the draft.

Agreed on both counts

I agree with the "Shero is Not the Problem" thread pal, but you threw in with Danny Boy and its time for a change. Best of luck wherever you go!

While different circumstance, kind of reminds me of the Clarke / Hitchcock thing. 

Perhaps the Pens kept Blysma as a bargaining chip to secure one of the GM's the wanted. My theory goes, maybe somebody they are targeting as GM likes Blysma, so his being there strengthens their ability to get "their guy". He can always be fired at a later date, if the guy who eventually becomes the GM wants his own guy. If the Pens new GM wants Blysma to stay, he is the first to go anyways, a slow start or extended slump and the old coach gets the axe, way before the new GM.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Dan is not the problem..." kinda message.

But dan IS the problem (well at least a significant part of it). I said on a similar / separate thread that Dan was out-coached by Vigneault. Berube was as well, but not nearly as bad as Blysma. The skill level of Pitts is one of the best in the league (at least the top two lines (and I am one of the too top heavy people). 

I was thinking more along the lines of "Dan is not the problem..." kinda message.

That's a big risk to take to send a message.  Lost locker room or not I think we all agree Bylsma has not done a good job coaching these last few seasons.