With Gus gone is there more of a push to resign Kimmo?

Gus was never going to replace Kimmo.  I believe we all agree with that assumption.  However being the 3rd smaller dman is mentioned a bit in reading about Gus' departure.  However what happens if Kimmo retires?  Either way this will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I hope Timonen decides to call it a career.  I really like him ,I think he has been a great player and good leader, I think he is a class act , I don't want to watch him decline to the point where my opinion of him changes.

• Like 1

Agreed. 

So that would mean at least 2 more dmen would come in?  One to replace Kimmo and one to replace Gus as a 7th.  Hopefully one to replace Gill too but I hope they could do internally somehow.  Either way it will be interesting to see the blue line next year especially if Kimmo retires. 

Good question.

We've got Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Grossmann, and Schenn under contract. That's not exactly a promising core. I think at least one of our young guys should be on the squad next year, whether that be Lauridsen as a 6th, or Ghost/Hagg on the 2nd or 3rd pairing. 

If that happens, there's your top 6. 

Lauridsen is huge, Hagg is tall at 6'2", and Ghost is tiny. 

The Flyers have stated unequivocally that they were interested in re-signing Timonen long before the Gus news came out.

We've got Streit, MacDonald, Coburn, Grossmann, and Schenn under contract. That's not exactly a promising core. I think at least one of our young guys should be on the squad next year, whether that be Lauridsen as a 6th, or Ghost/Hagg on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

I'm willing to put more than a little bit down on the idea that none of the "young guys" will be on the opening day roster next season...

I'm willing to put more than a little bit down on the idea that none of the "young guys" will be on the opening day roster next season...

Lather, rinse, repea-heat. Lather, rinse, repea-heat. Lather, rinse, repea-heat.

As needed.

Good question.

Lauridsen is huge, Hagg is tall at 6'2", and Ghost is tiny. 

Ghost is 5'11", not really tiny, just needs to bulk up a bit. Alt is also good sized (6'4") and I think he might be the most likely Phantom to make the Flyers out of camp next year.

Ghost is 5'11", not really tiny, just needs to bulk up a bit. Alt is also good sized (6'4") and I think he might be the most likely Phantom to make the Flyers out of camp next year.

If any Phantom makes it, the edge has to go with Lauridsen. He's played in the NHL briefly, and looked promising while doing it.

If any Phantom makes it, the edge has to go with Lauridsen. He's played in the NHL briefly, and looked promising while doing it.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I mentioned Alt because I watched a bunch of Phantoms games at the end of the year and he and Hagg were clearly the team's best defensemen. To be fair, I think Lauridsen missed a bunch of time with injury so there's that.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. I mentioned Alt because I watched a bunch of Phantoms games at the end of the year and he and Hagg were clearly the team's best defensemen. To be fair, I think Lauridsen missed a bunch of time with injury so there's that.

Yes, Hagg seemed to adapt quite quickly to the NA game. Granted, he only played 10 games, but if he has a standout camp, who knows what happens.

I know I sound antsy to get the guys up, but I'm just tired of the retreads and half-measures this team does. It's painful to watch our defense. It has been for years, and years, and years. 

Yes, Hagg seemed to adapt quite quickly to the NA game. Granted, he only played 10 games, but if he has a standout camp, who knows what happens.

I know I sound antsy to get the guys up, but I'm just tired of the retreads and half-measures this team does. It's painful to watch our defense. It has been for years, and years, and years. 

I think Hagg could do it but I also think more time in the AHL would help. I'd like to see him develop his offensive game more, be a little more aggressive. I don't think he'd do that in the NHL.

I hope Timonen decides to call it a career.  I really like him ,I think he has been a great player and good leader, I think he is a class act , I don't want to watch him decline to the point where my opinion of him changes.

Ain't happening he all but said it he is coming back. Now he is a team players and is already familiar with the system so for cap reason he will be a good trooper and wait if need to announce and this to give Hexy wiggle room under the cap so it could go allthe way down to the start of the season before it's even announced.

So the sooner you except it the easier it will be for you to accept it when it happens. Kind of like the Flyers and getting screwed with the call from the refs. Go into the game expecting it and when it happens it makes it easier (ok...no it doesn't but it sounds good).  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Greetings:

I think Occam is spot on. In terms of retarding some youngin's growth, this is a bad signing. But we need to face the high probability it happens.

I also worry along with others about the embarrassment factor: Seeing a guy really come unglued like Desjardins in Days of Old. That is just painful, really painful. 

Best,

Howie

I hope I'm not right, but I'm almost expecting a mishandling of Oliver. Another defensive prospect who will inevitably be shown the door without getting a fair shake.....which would be sad because everything about this kid screams solid NHL d-man to me.

In terms of retarding some youngin's growth, this is a bad signing.

See i'm spinning it in the positive light for the upcoming season. Kimmo i'm thinking a t a reduced role and more of a teacher on ice so to speak.Say back at 2-3 mill for one year would be tops for me.

Amac/Coburn

Kimmo/Schenn

GrossmanN/Streit

The mathcup Kimmo could make be the teacher on ice for Luke.

this would be a nice start during camp....or if you could trade GrossmanN

Amac/Coburn

Streit/Schenn

Kimmo/Alt

Or with this lineup Kimmo could help ease Alt into the lineup.

But with out some crazy trade/shake up i'd like to try to change the blueline slowly and not go into the next season with the same pairing as this past postseason....... something has to change to help figure out the Rangers cause well they now are the team to beat to get to where the Flyers want to be ...use to be the Penguins but they are in disarray and are not longer the team in the East to beat.

Yes i know Boston is good too but if they can figure out the Rangers riddle they should be ok be able to beat Boston too. First things first division opponents.

Occam:

I will not shed tears if we resign Kimmo. He would be a player-coach! I am just fearful of the potential bad play where he goes off the cliff...a little like Steve Carlton...

Agreed that the Rangers have some mojo.

Hextall may shock us with a big trade.  The draft and free agency will be hear faster than we think.

Peace,

Howie

Occam:

great post...

If the Team would choose to really upgrade - as in acquire a true #1 - it is going to cost a whole lot and it would most likely involve a big shakeup type trade. My preference would be to try and sign Kimmo to a 1 yr deal at 2.5M-ish and wait for the young d prospects to develop. There is no guarantee with this approach but I have to believe that one of Alt, Gost, Haag, Morin or Ollie is ready to take on a full time roster spot.  

I would rather be patient and use Kimmo as a bridge than shake up the entire Team to acquire a stud dman….

• Like 1

Occam:

great post...

If the Team would choose to really upgrade - as in acquire a true #1 - it is going to cost a whole lot and it would most likely involve a big shakeup type trade. My preference would be to try and sign Kimmo to a 1 yr deal at 2.5M-ish and wait for the young d prospects to develop. There is no guarantee with this approach but I have to believe that one of Alt, Gost, Haag, Morin or Ollie is ready to take on a full time roster spot.  

I would rather be patient and use Kimmo as a bridge than shake up the entire Team to acquire a stud dman….

Thank you. Just random brain storming.

Yes i know Kimmo is coming back and it may not be the popular vote but i'm ok with it. In a limited reduced role to slowly acclimate someone of youth to the group of Dmen already in the stable.

Flyers seem to like to pair a skater puck mover type with a stay at home BIGGER guy so with that all in mind it was why in through those Dpairs out there.

And i agree getting that #1 in a trade would rip the team a part and if you can take him for his word Hexy said yesterday he didn't see no major moves coming he likes the lineup and wants to give the young guys a chance to develop and not rush them. Which i agree with.

Which is why i singles out Mark Alt to be given every chance to take that 6th spot which i think he is ready for. I like Ollie and would be ok with him but i keep ready from Meltzer he needs to work on his skating....so for this conversation i will go with Alt.

Why Alt well here is why: He played 117 games in college for the Minnesota Golden Gophers (over 3 years) scoring 7 gls 32 ast and has now also played 81 games for the Phantoms scoring 5 gls 23 ast over parts of two years. He has good size 6-4 210 (more size over the Gus option) a right handed shot and is some what physical and will be 23 in October so i say that is mature enough to get a long look.

And it would give the Flyers 3 big bodies for the Dpairs (Coburn, Luke, Alt) GrossmanN despite his size is sloooooow and has almost zero offensive upside so he can be traded at the draft for picks. Alt can make a solid nice quick outlet pass to get the puck up ice so i think he'll be an upgrade.

Then you would have 3 guys that can skate the puck out the zone and get it up ice (Streit, Amac, Kimmo). Which leads me tothe D pairs.

Amac/Coburn (who like to play the right side)

Streit/ Schenn

Kimmo/ Alt

This lineup will give you two right and shots for the lineup which be an upgrade and help keep the puck in the  D zone better i believe plus give us some more slapper options from the points verse all the left and guys playing the right side having to stop it first before they fire it on net. Any ways just my 2 cents.

This will give Ghost and Hagg time to grow and play big minutes in the A.

Also the reason for not resigning Gus there just was no room for him.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Also the reason for not resigning Gus there just was no room for him.

The reason for not re-signing Gus was that he signed with the KHL. The Flyers are going to qualify him to retain his rights and would have qualified him to keep his rights had he not signed with the NHL.

They are not going to use Kimmo Timonen on the third pair. Just isn't going to happen. If he comes back, he's running the #1 PP again and likely getting 18-23 minutes a game, still.

Andrew MacDonald on the top pair, quite frankly, will be exposed just as he was as a -19 as the Isles' #1 pairing guy. It's not his role and it never has been. He was -3 for the Flyers in the regular season and a minus player in four of seven playoff games.

I would like to see some younger players getting chances in the bottom pairing, but I would bet heavier on the likelihood of:

Timonen/Coburn

Streit/Grossmann

AMac/Schenn

• Like 1

Andrew MacDonald on the top pair, quite frankly, will be exposed just as he was as a -19 as the Isles' #1 pairing guy.

He played some with Coburn in the playoffs yes i know they didn't look the best i admit but maybe with a full camp together under their belts maybe they could/would look better. 

I just think someone is going to get traded and the best one for that would be kind of the guy that doesn't fit so much and has only a modified trade clause would be Gross.

But it wouldn't kill me if he came back....but we do know one thing from this past playoffs it would be doing the same thing and yet wanting different results.

That just would be foolish they way the Rags just skated into the zone at will then just played keep away from this slow bunch. Alt would up the foot speed and offensive output over GrossmanN!

There is no way to just keep it the same and then now expect them to beat the Rags. AV i'm sure is praying Hexy keep sit the same....he has just the answer for that we all saw that. Why is the Rags D so much better??? Be cause all there guys can skate and make the outlet pass to their forwards to help the transition game.

Flyers would have 3 slowish type Dmen in Luke, GrossmanN and Kimmo who has shown he is slowing down. I'm telling you you do this and it will be a first round exit again. They need Dmen to help hold onto the puck. Grossman needs to go.

He had the worst CF% number of all the Dmen.....you can over look that stat if you want but it will be more of the same.

No matter how good a coach Berube is he can't make those 3 faster he just can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Some comments from Bill today in response to Ollie and him being given a shot take what you will from it:

"Possible but unlikely. Lauridsen is still pretty much an AHL defenseman at this point, although it's pretty much now or never for him to make the Flyers."

So i'd give Alt a chance.

A question and answer on Al.

Bill,

What is your take on Alt? He seems to be a good skating dman with size and some offensive instincts.

- J35Bacher

I like him. Not sure how much offense he will ever produce but he has size, moves the puck a bit and is pretty reliable for a young Dman.

Edited by OccamsRazor

He played some with Coburn in the playoffs yes i know they didn't look the best i admit but maybe with a full camp together under their belts maybe they could/would look better. 

I just think someone is going to get traded and the best one for that would be kind of the guy that doesn't fit so much and has only a modified trade clause would be Gross.

But it wouldn't kill me if he came back....but we do know one thing from this past playoffs it would be doing the same thing and yet wanting different results.

That just would be foolish they way the Rags just skated into the zone at will then just played keep away from this slow bunch. Alt would up the foot speed and offensive output over GrossmanN!

There is no way to just keep it the same and then now expect them to beat the Rags. AV i'm sure is praying Hexy keep sit the same....he has just the answer for that we all saw that. Why is the Rags D so much better??? Be cause all there guys can skate and make the outlet pass to their forwards to help the transition game.

Flyers would have 3 slowish type Dmen in Luke, GrossmanN and Kimmo who has shown he is slowing down. I'm telling you you do this and it will be a first round exit again. They need Dmen to help hold onto the puck. Grossman needs to go.

He had the worst CF% number of all the Dmen.....you can over look that stat if you want but it will be more of the same.

No matter how good a coach Berube is he can't make those 3 faster he just can't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, I don't at all disagree.

I'm just not sure that the organization agrees with us :)

See, I don't at all disagree.

I'm just not sure that the organization agrees with us :)

Ok i was wondering.

Yeah i can't even begin to guess what the front office has in mind.

All i know is no way we can go into next season the damn same...that is insane.

Camp is the best time to slowly implement some youth i'm just using Alt as and example i really don't care who it is but they need guys who can skate with some size too.

The Rangers have a mixed bag of Dmen hell most teams do but allof the Rangers guys can skate and make the simple outlet pass and can hold the point.

So Flyers need to go to the new style Dmen i seen several refer to guys who can skate and help with the transition game i'm not asking for the next coming of Bobby Orr but smart guys who can help hang onto the puck and can help Mason secure some of these rebounds.

And take some pressure off the forwards would be nice and let them concentrate more on generating offense. All the teams still in it have all their guys being able to skate and help generate offense Flyers need to get with it.

And well the most glaring guys that can't do those things is GrossamnN and Luke whom played ok in the playoffs was the least of their concerns when it came to helping generate offense. Luke played pretty smart maybe some of his best hockey all season.

And he has a underrated nice outlet pass and was one of the few D men to score combined with a reasonable contract one slow guy is enough. GrossmanN needs to be dealt to begin the transition to the new skating blueline. Sorry Nick nothing personal.

Plus Rags only have one smallish guy (5-11) and that is Diaz but he has only played 2 games. The rest are 6-1 and above.

Edited by OccamsRazor