So who should be the new GM?

B21

Would you try to poach a guy with a + track record from another team ?

Dale Tallon from Florida, is a sharp hockey mind and he's strapped in the 2nd worst job in the league, think he'd be open to considering building around 87 and 71 ?

Other than that I don't know either, I haven't heard of any young Theo Epstien like executives who are currently in assistant jobs.  I don't know if I think the WB/Scranton guy is the play to make either, though i will admit I know nothing of him other than I hate him .   (It's a Hershey Bears thing) 

I can think of like 6 guys that are not working that would be poor choices, so i don't think the Pens want to recycle a guy and see if the magic returns with the clock ticking on the closing of the championship window I think this will be a difficult challenge, i know it should be considered a marquee job but clearly there is pressure to find success immediately .

this will be an interesting offseason.

Darcy Reiger is available. He has a proven track record as GM plus he could help bring Ville Leino to the burgh! ( insert sarcasm ninja here)

Edited by Samifan

Some quick Googling and these 3 intrigue me....

Jim Benning.  Age 50.  Assistant GM.  Boston Bruins.  Benning is in his eighth season with the Bruins, his seventh as assistant general manager after one year as director of player personnel. Prior to joining Peter Chiarelli’s staff, he spent 12 seasons with Buffalo that included an eight-year tenure as their director of amateur scouting. Given his scouting background, Benning is a respected talent evaluator at all levels of the game.

Julien BriseBois. Age 37. Assistant GM. Tampa Bay Lightning.  BriesBois has managed the salary cap and collective bargaining agreement details in three years with the Lightning while also serving as GM for the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals, who won the Calder Cup in 2012. Prior to joining Tampa Bay, he spent nine seasons in Montreal holding positions including director of legal affairs,  director of hockey operations and GM of the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. His biggest strength is his legal background. Before he joined an NHL team, BriseBois represented NHL and MLB teams in arbitration hearings and helped reform the constitution of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Paul Fenton. Age 54. Assistant GM. Nashville Predators.  He’s held a critical role in Nashville since the team came into existence, 16 years ago, serving as director of player personnel for the first eight years before being promoted to assistant GM in 2006. Heavily involved in the Predators’ drafting and development of young players, Fenton manages the professional and amateur scouting staffs and serves as GM of the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals. Fenton, who appeared in 411 NHL games for seven different teams as a player, is a high profile, experienced and highly regarded option whose track record with developing players through the draft is an asset.

I have no idea on this one. 

I am late to the party on this one, but how do you fire the GM and not the coach as well?? How many pictures of Lemieux does Blysma have in inappropriate situations. This is mind boggling to me. 

I am late to the party on this one, but how do you fire the GM and not the coach as well?? How many pictures of Lemieux does Blysma have in inappropriate situations. This is mind boggling to me. 

So many ways to go with that one...

1) They really do want to leave all options on the table for the new GM including keeping Bylsma...

2) Botterill is the leader in the clubhouse and it's no secret among Moorehouse, Lemieux and Burkle that he likes Bylsma...

3) They would rather just have the new GM fire Bylsma...

4) Dirty pool but they don't want Bylsma landing somewhere else (Washington?) so wait as long as possible before a decision has to be made (I doubt this one but it's possible)...

This move may/may not keep Bylsma from other opportunities.  If Washington calls and you are Bylsma - do you resign?  It's got to be about 95% certain that he goes eventually, right?

This move may/may not keep Bylsma from other opportunities.  If Washington calls and you are Bylsma - do you resign?  It's got to be about 95% certain that he goes eventually, right?

While I know that Shero has made mistakes, when your marquee ("best in the world) player is on the bench screaming at the coach, how does he (Blysma) not get axed first?? It reminds me a bit of the Van situation (fired GM first, then coach after). For me its a bit ingenious to not fire both at the same time. 9 times out of 10 the new GM is going to release the head coach. I mean c'mon, you fire the GM for losing, that losing is a direct responsibility of the head coach / players. In Pitts situation, everyone knows that a large part of their losing is due to the lack of versatility / adjustments by the coach.

The other part of this is that there are qualified candidates available. If you keep holding onto the anchor (the head coach) too long, you will lose your life raft. 

If I was a pitts fan, I could care less where DFB lands and would be hot on the trail for Trotz. I would do it yesterday. He is the perfect coach for the pens. 

Edited by Vanflyer

The other part of this is that there are qualified candidates available. If you keep holding onto the anchor (the head coach) too long, you will lose your life raft. 

If I was a pitts fan, I could care less where DFB lands and would be hot on the trail for Trotz. I would do it yesterday. He is the perfect coach for the pens.

Bring in the Fenton and Trotz tandem... Not a bad idea there. They are familiar with one another, though Nashville cannot seem to draft a forward and develop them so maybe not.

Bring in the Fenton and Trotz tandem... Not a bad idea there. They are familiar with one another, though Nashville cannot seem to draft a forward and develop them so maybe not.

Both are very smart hockey guys. The Preds have drafted the best d-men in the last decade (to their picks). That is what Pitts needs. Many poo poo Trotz as a "defensive" style coach, but he has never been given the assets to show the other side (one line is not enough). 

Bring in Trotz, trade malkin for weber and be done with it. Another stanley cup for Pitts. 

Both are very smart hockey guys. The Preds have drafted the best d-men in the last decade (to their picks). That is what Pitts needs. Many poo poo Trotz as a "defensive" style coach, but he has never been given the assets to show the other side (one line is not enough).

Bring in Trotz, trade malkin for weber and be done with it. Another stanley cup for Pitts.

I would hate to see weber wearing that sweater, and have to best him and Crosby to play for the cup, weber is a guy that wouldn't put up with a lot of bad body language and pouting malarkey either. Plus he's a tough cuss who would be around to open up some room for 87 and 71. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :-)

Edited by mojo1917

While I know that Shero has made mistakes, when your marquee ("best in the world) player is on the bench screaming at the coach, how does he (Blysma) not get axed first?? It reminds me a bit of the Van situation (fired GM first, then coach after). For me its a bit ingenious to not fire both at the same time. 9 times out of 10 the new GM is going to release the head coach. I mean c'mon, you fire the GM for losing, that losing is a direct responsibility of the head coach / players. In Pitts situation, everyone knows that a large part of their losing is due to the lack of versatility / adjustments by the coach.

Agree - surprised as anyone that Bylsma didn't get the axe, too.  He likely will eventually but why wait?

The Pens have Maatta, Pouliot and Harrington as quality young defencemen. They need forwards IMO.

He likely will eventually but why wait?

There-in lies the riddle. Why wait. As I stated before, Vignaulte out coached Berube of the Flyers and he also just really did a number on Blysma (at least with Berube, the players did not quite). Lest I might also add that pittsburgh thought the first round matchup with columbus as going to be ho-hum. Those two series are head rollers. Just I always thought shite rolls down stream first (most of the time). 

You all know better, but I have to think Blysma is numbered as well (same as Torts in Van). The thing I notice most is that you pitts fans piss and moan allot more about Blysma, yet there is more leniency towards Shero. 

In the end, its an interesting chance of scenery for allot of folks. 

They need forwards IMO.

Fair enough (would argue experience / balance / stud, but will take a flyer- no pun intended). 

A malkin move could get you a sand paper third liner (which Pitts needs) a second liner and / or prospect - high pick. 

Do it?? 

I agree here.  Whatever happens to Bylsma happens. Get the guy you want and get him as fast as you can.