Memorial Cup Thread

flyercanuck

The Memorial Cup started yesterday. The Edmonton Oil Kings represent the WHL after eliminating the Portland WinterHawks who'd upset CHL top ranked Kelowna. The QMJHL champions are the Val D'or Foreurs. Guelph Storm are the OHL champs and the London Knights are hosting.

Val D'or defeated the London Knights yesterday 1-0 on a goal by Wings prospect Anthony Mantha. Leaf prospect Antoine Bibeau stopped 51 shots for the shutout, while Flyer prospect Anthony Stolarz was only beaten once on 28 attempts. 

Stolarz was suspended for 8 games earlier in the OHL playoffs, But with typical London fanboy bias, CHL commisioner Dave Branch rescinded the suspension because London didn't make it far enough to run it out before the Memorial Cup, and he obviously wants them to have the best chance to win.

Branch also announced that Mantha will be suspended for scoring against London. Ok, that part I made up.

Guelph continues to roll as they beat Edmonton 5-2.

This game had quite the NHL flavour to it as Kerby Rychel (Warrens son) scored twice for Guelph, as did Tyler Bertuzzi (nephew of Todd). Brock McGinn (brothers Tye and Jamie play for the Flyers and Sharks respectively) scored the other Storm goal sandwiched between the other 4. The Oil Kings goals were scored by Henrik Samuelson (son of Ulf) and Ashton Sautner (his dad watches the NHL on TV). 

Sucks to ruin a good effort by Sotarz. Oh well. You win some ya lose some.

Stolarz shouldn't be playing. Even though he's a Flyers prospect I'll take the 1-0 loss. He played well, and Branchs favorites lose. Win - win.

Stolarz shouldn't be playing. Even though he's a Flyers prospect I'll take the 1-0 loss. He played well, and Branchs favorites lose. Win - win.

They should could use him in the WC for team USA Timmy Thomas is looking like swiss cheese....his GAA has to 4.50+ no way they go anywhere with him his skills have eroded quickly since leaving Boston.

So glad the rumor weren't true after he left Boston that the Flyers were interested in him Mase had finally gave them security in net. And may for several years ahead.

I don't actually get to "see' the Memorial Cup games since i don't have the NHLnetwork...some i'm just left to just read up on it.(not the same but i have no choice)

But from what i've read it seems Guelph and the team defense first style should be the favorites....would you agree?

Kind of what i gathered so who will they play in the title game.

Also i was shocked with the Winterhawks exit with all the future NHL talent throughout the roster. I mean when i look at the other teams rosters you don't see another team as stocked with future talent like them.

Did a lot of their collapse have as much to do with Sean Burke's son not playing well in net or was he just not getting much help from the team?

@OccamsRazor

Guelph looked like a team on a mission all year. I expected them to win the OHL and I expect them to win the Memorial Cup.

Yep, you've been touting Guelph for months. I thought maybe the Knights playoff experience would give them an edge...but great call by you, even if it was a tad obvious.

Edmonton beats London 5-2 (Stolarz yanked - starting to wonder if this guy can compete in big games) and Guelph over Val D'or 6-3.

jammer - Rychels having a pretty good tournament - maybe moving away from dad was a good thing?

@flyercanuck  Yeah, it does seem like Rychel is playing pretty awesome of late. Like I've said a few times, he came to Windsor as a 17 year old and was handed the keys to the car, much to early. He was immediately on the top line, top pp etc...in his draft year, his ice time was just handed to him on a silver platter. It was not his fault, but it rubbed a lot of Spitfire fans the wrong way. The kid has legit hands, but I really question his ability to be a star at the next level. He's not a great skater, just average....which can lead to problems making the jump from OHL to the NHL. One of the very worst cheery pickers I've ever laid my eyes on also....so there is that. He deserves Columbus....lol.

He does have some nice grit to his game, and therein lies his value, he should be 20 goal guy (maybe more, who knows) that goes to the dirty areas and he will make his team harder to play against. He does have a lot of confidence, which is a good trait, but has a large ego also.

@flyercanuck  Yes, the trade to Guelph took a LOT of pressure away from him. His last few years in Windsor he didn't have much offensive talent surrounding him, so a lot better situation for him. In Windsor, if Kerby or Josh Ho-Sang didnt' score, we usually didn't win.

Guelph puts the boots to London 7-2 eliminating them from the Memorial Cup. In typical fashion where the Knights are concerned, there were some questionable calls for Guelph to overcome, but nothing was stopping this juggernaut. Scott Kosmachuk had a hattrick, Tyler Bertuzzi added 2 goals and Justin Nichols stopped 45 of 47 shots. In what's become a regular big game ritual, Anthony Stolarz was yanked. In 2 seasons with London, he got pulled in the OHL championship last year, then got pulled twice in the Memorial Cup, got suspended in the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs this year, then was pulled in 2 of 3 games in the Memorial Cup. This guy does not scream "clutch" to me. Hopefully he has better luck in the A. Cause right now I see a poor mans M.A. Fleury. Oh, and Guelphs 7th goal was scored by none other than Mark Stevens...nephew of bake-a-cake Johnny!

Edmonton and Val D'or play Friday - winner gets Guelph Sunday for the cup.

Hopefully he has better luck in the A.

Well it's safe to say if he'd have played in front of this past season he wouldn't have fair any better but by next year they have an influx of talent coming in!!!!

Leier - Laughton - Straka

Goumas - Cousins - Alderson

Noebels - Flanagan - Parks

Goulbourne - Holmstrom - Serratore

Mathers Johnston

Alt - Hagg

Ghost - Ollie

Manning - Konan

Lamarche

Stolarz

Heeter

That is what it will look like. All the highlighted guys are the new influx of talent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this past season i say actually looking like they make get back to the playoffs next year in fact if they don't i'll be highly disappointed!!!  ;)

@OccamsRazor

Ya, that should improve things on the farm. Stolarz certainly seems like a good goalie in the regular season. He just appears to fold under pressure. It's a small sample size, but it's also 4 seperate instances. Hopefully he overcomes whatever it is.

@OccamsRazor

Ya, that should improve things on the farm. Stolarz certainly seems like a good goalie in the regular season. He just appears to fold under pressure. It's a small sample size, but it's also 4 seperate instances. Hopefully he overcomes whatever it is.

Well lets cross our fingers cause after him they are in trouble....they'll be back to trading picks again trying to fill a need and well that just can't happen. They finally it seems to be they are changing that mentality...i want to keep it that way.

I also am hope now with a former goalie as a GM they will value goalie prospect more. 

Need to start stocking the farm in the net too.

I also think Chubak will end up being a better prospect than Heeter.........remember you heard it here first. He was outstanding for them in the last week of the regular season when Heeter was up on the BIG club....i would expect that to continue....i expect the Flyers to resign him...he had better numbers than Heeter.

11 gp  4-2  2.33 gaa  928% in his first AHL action without Akeson not to shabby. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor

Those are fine numbers...but 5'11" 170 lbs is pretty small.

Yeah i know it is certainly and up hill battle but Bernier is but an inch taller at 6' 185...so Chubak can get bigger, weight wise but yeah ihe sn't going to take up a lot of net.

He will have to rely on positioning and reflexes that from what i read where outstanding and he was a Hobey baker finalist his last year of college.

But we can agree him making anywhere is very very slim.

Flyers have to draft a goaltender or two this year...have to.

I have faith Hexy values that position i will give him the benefit of the doubt this upcoming draft.

Right now though he has one mission get Brayden signed.

Didn't know where to put this but thought it deserved to be heard....for those who wanted Max Domi last year in the draft

Max Domi, F (London, OHL)
Another disappointing showing in what has been a dreadful season for Max Domi. The all-world offensive skills get overshadowed by a black cloud of selfishness, arrogance and inability to play a team game. His value is trending in the wrong direction after being a high 2013 NHL draftee.

So glad we didn't take him.

Didn't know where to put this but thought it deserved to be heard....for those who wanted Max Domi last year in the draft

Max Domi, F (London, OHL)

Another disappointing showing in what has been a dreadful season for Max Domi. The all-world offensive skills get overshadowed by a black cloud of selfishness, arrogance and inability to play a team game. His value is trending in the wrong direction after being a high 2013 NHL draftee.

So glad we didn't take him.

Where is that from?

One of the prospect sites...I forget which one now, i think Dobber.

I laughed when i read it...I don't know how many times i watched him last night on the pp hogging the puck, skating around in circles, shooting from bad angles, and if he did pass it, he'd immediately start banging his stick on the ice to get it back. Must be a dream hanging out with such a team first guy in the dressing room after the game. I watched him do the same thing for 7 games last year against Barrie...it's why I wanted no part of him in the draft. Great hands, but just like his father, way too big of a head.

@OccamsRazor

Just thought of daddy attending Flyers games was enough to scare me away from him.

Just thought of daddy attending Flyers games was enough to scare me away from him.

You would not think that way if you met him in person. His on ice persona is night and day with Tie. Just a super nice guy. My best friend is 1st counsins with him (their Mom's are sisters). When I'm in Toronto, I stay at the Domi family residence, they open their house to me like I'm family. An one of them would give you the shirt off their backs, (which would be nice if it was Tie's sister, who is pretty hot believe it or not....lol)