RJ Umberger asks for trade out of Columbus

Umberger was scratched in 4 of the playoff games against the Penguins for more speed in the lineup.  

He is signed through the 2016-17 season at a $4.6 million salary-cap hit, has a no-trade clause in his contract through June 14. On June 15, the full no-trade clause becomes a limited clause, and Umberger will provide the Blue Jackets with 10 NHL clubs to which he would not approve a trade. 

Is he trade-able?  Or will the Blue Jackets be faced to buy him out?

@hf101

I haven't noticed him play in years to be honest. 

This.   First of all, just to be honest I don't watch a heck of a lot of Blue Jackets' hockey.

But in the round against Pittsburgh every once in awhile I'd remember he's supposed to play for him and would look for him.  Then I'd look REALLY hard.  I think I did see his shadow finally and realized there would be six extra weeks of offseason.

Umberger was a star with the Buckeyes, coming to the Jackets seemed perfect.

he was tried at center, he sucks at faceoffs and cannot read defenses to set up wingers. he was tried on the wing, he is not a natural shooter. he is slow, you do not time him with a stop watch but with a sundial. he does backcheck well, when he plays other slow players.

He was tried on the first line, not talented enough. He was worked up and down the other lines with varying degrees of success, more disappointment than anything else. One of those guys who sticks around forever based off potential but never really delivers. If anyone offers a used bag of practice pucks and an autographed Kerry Hoffman stick for him he could be had. Umberger has no defining skill other than the fact that he can do a bunch of things-badly. Being run out of Ohio where he starred in college and has played for most of his NHL career speaks volumes about how badly his so called skill set has eroded.

he was tried at center, he sucks at faceoffs and cannot read defenses to set up wingers. he was tried on the wing, he is not a natural shooter. he is slow, you do not time him with a stop watch but with a sundial. he does backcheck well, when he plays other slow players.

He was tried on the first line, not talented enough. He was worked up and down the other lines with varying degrees of success, more disappointment than anything else. One of those guys who sticks around forever based off potential but never really delivers. If anyone offers a used bag of practice pucks and an autographed Kerry Hoffman stick for him he could be had. Umberger has no defining skill other than the fact that he can do a bunch of things-badly. Being run out of Ohio where he starred in college and has played for most of his NHL career speaks volumes about how badly his so called skill set has eroded.

Well, to be fair to the player he's a four time 20-goal scorer then 8 in 48 and 18 in 72 this season. I don't think Columbus had a role for him this season and he still potted 18 in 72. That's certainly not chopped liver.

I don't feel that Umberger is a failure in the mode of, say, Ville Leino - but I do think that he's a complimentary player and not a primary focus of a line. There's better uses for the cap space, but they will likely have to eat some to part ways gracefully (and get anything in return).

I don't disagree with any of this.  I liked the guy when he was with the Flyers, but I think I liked the person more than the player.  One thing that was good about him, with the Flyers at least, was that he could kind of fill in in multiple spots and be kind of average.   I mean that actually in a good (lukewarm) way.  He was unspectular unless playing against Pittsburgh, but he wasn't a horrible liability.  The problem with this was he could be fairly easily bumped out of any position because "average" was what he brought.

He's made a nice career for himself considering.  But it's why the Flyers didn't really blink in sending him out and why the Jackets won't think too long about his trade demand.

I don't feel that Umberger is a failure in the mode of, say, Ville Leino - but I do think that he's a complimentary player and not a primary focus of a line. There's better uses for the cap space, but they will likely have to eat some to part ways gracefully (and get anything in return).

I agree with this. Also, he has good size and is not afraid to get to the dirty areas when he can. Also, if given the opportunity to bang, he will. 

I guess- as a flyers fan, opine on a Hartnell v. Umby? For me personally, while Umberger played her under hitch, I will take Hartnell. Money is the same and what I know about leadership, Hartnell wins. 

I guess- as a flyers fan, opine on a Hartnell v. Umby? For me personally, while Umberger played her under hitch, I will take Hartnell. Money is the same and what I know about leadership, Hartnell wins. 

Sure, I take Hartnell. He's got more of an impact quality to him.

But Umberger's contract ends in two years when he's 34 :)

Sure, I take Hartnell. He's got more of an impact quality to him.

But Umberger's contract ends in two years when he's 34

Good irony / sarcasm. 

Do you or others know what happens if a player retires under contract (not injury related) to the cap? 

For me personally, I have started to get the feeling that when Hartnell sees diminishing returns, he will walk away (to eat popcorn with Homer). 

I don't disagree with any of this.  I liked the guy when he was with the Flyers, but I think I liked the person more than the player.  One thing that was good about him, with the Flyers at least, was that he could kind of fill in in multiple spots and be kind of average.   I mean that actually in a good (lukewarm) way.  He was unspectular unless playing against Pittsburgh, but he wasn't a horrible liability.  The problem with this was he could be fairly easily bumped out of any position because "average" was what he brought.

He's made a nice career for himself considering.  But it's why the Flyers didn't really blink in sending him out and why the Jackets won't think too long about his trade demand.

Essentially Umberger made a nice living as a guy who could scored 20-25 goals a year, quite a few of them on the power play as a big body in front, and not much else. Of course it takes goals to score so you do need guys like this.

The problem is Howson gave him this long term contract, a young player with old players skills who was destined to age poorly. The last two seasons he has just been plain bad, this year, 18 goals and 16 assists for a whole seasons work for as much as he makes with really no other on ice skill other than the occasional goal is just a reach, with 3 years left on his deal it was a terrible contract. If the Jackets find a partner, say a team trying to get to the cap floor they will have accomplished something.

He is moveable. Don't think he ever lived up to his potential. I will be forever indebted to him for single-handedly destroying the Habs and Carey Price in the 2010 playoffs. That series will always be his high point as a pro I'm thinking. What did he score, 7 goals in 5 games in that series.....man, he was red hot. 4.6 mill for a guy who essentially is guaranteed 20 goals is a moveable contract in my eyes. He's overpaid, but not by much....he should probably be making 4.0 mill or so....so not a huge overpayment. Somebody will take him off their hands.....never was fast, but he works hard and has decent hands.

He is moveable. Don't think he ever lived up to his potential. I will be forever indebted to him for single-handedly destroying the Habs and Carey Price in the 2010 playoffs. That series will always be his high point as a pro I'm thinking. What did he score, 7 goals in 5 games in that series.....man, he was red hot. 4.6 mill for a guy who essentially is guaranteed 20 goals is a moveable contract in my eyes. He's overpaid, but not by much....he should probably be making 4.0 mill or so....so not a huge overpayment. Somebody will take him off their hands.....never was fast, but he works hard and has decent hands.

What potential? The guy's a role player. I always liked him, and if he was cheaper I wouldn't mind seeing him back here, but he has never shown to be anything that should lead anyone to believe he's anything more than a nice little role player. Anyone expecting anything more from him is seriously overestimating him.

Well, to be fair to the player he's a four time 20-goal scorer then 8 in 48 and 18 in 72 this season. I don't think Columbus had a role for him this season and he still potted 18 in 72. That's certainly not chopped liver.

It's actually 5.

20 in 05-06

26 in 08-09

23 in 09-10

25 in 10-11

20 in 11-12

I don't think he's a failure because like you said he is a complimentary player and not a bad one either. Columbus was stupid if they were expecting him to lead the team anywhere.

Do you or others know what happens if a player retires under contract (not injury related) to the cap? 

If it's an under 35 contract, the contract goes away--as does the cap hit.  If it's over 35+, well--see Chris Pronger as example 1A.  Even though the Flyers get LTIR relief from it. 

If it's an under 35 contract, the contract goes away--as does the cap hit.  If it's over 35+, well--see Chris Pronger as example 1A.  Even though the Flyers get LTIR relief from it. 

Is that still true with the cap recapture penalties? I honestly don't know - it's really the only thing I can think might affect it.

Thats right, I forgot about that. Thanks.