Hockey Traditions that Should Be Immediately Ended

ruxpin

@jammer2 - I think Buttons pretty good too.

How about the new tradition of giving the Norris trophy to the best offensive defenceman? It's the best DEFENCEMAN trophy, not most points by a blueliner. If my teams up by a goal in game 7 with a minute left, do I want Subban, Karlsson, Letang or Green out there? No, and neither does anyone else.

The fact that none of those guys are on a PK, or on the ice at the end of a game with a lead should eliminate them from contention. Its become embarrassing, PK Suban winning the Norris last year made the whole awards ceremony a joke.  These guys aren't even the best defensive defensemen on their own teams.

Edited by nossagog

The fact that none of those guys are on a PK, or on the ice at the end of a game with a lead should eliminate them from contention. Its become embarrassing, PK Suban winning the Norris last year made the whole awards ceremony a joke.  These guys aren't even the best defensive defensemen on their own teams.

True, but the award isn't for "the best defensive defenseman in the NHL" - it is 

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24942

I do think the nature of the award changed with Listrom's absolute dominance for six of seven (and 7 of 10) years, the most dominant stretch since Orr.'s eight years in a row.

Overall, it's more representative of the inherent weakness of the writers-based poll that picks it. 

True, but the award isn't for "the best defensive defenseman in the NHL" - it is 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=24942

I do think the nature of the award changed with Listrom's absolute dominance for six of seven (and 7 of 10) years, the most dominant stretch since Orr.'s eight years in a row.

Overall, it's more representative of the inherent weakness of the writers-based poll that picks it. 

When names like Subban, Green and Karlsson are mentioned as Norris caliber players it cheapens what the award is about. The three I mentioned are HORRIBLE defensemen and should NEVER be mentioned with the likes of Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque and several others. The only reason these guys get any mention is two fold. Flashy 4th forwards and the NHL defense core is horrible right now.