Flyers did it 40 years ago today.

Phlyer1

Philly loved them because they felt the Flyers were just like so many of the  residents Hard working and down to earth.

That is great for the Flyers but i wasn't a fan then so i'm still looking for my first to celebrate....i sure hope it's coming soon.  :D

Since their last Cup victory, the Flyers have the highest regular season winning percentage.  Only the Oilers and Canadiens have participated in more Stanley Cup Championships (each winning most of theirs.)  The Flyers have only missed the playoffs something like eight times, which has to be tops (it's late in my lunch hour, else I'd check that.)  But the big Win continues to elude.

Sad. I was an 8 year old kid. Only favourite pro team to win since the Flyers 2 cups was my Tigers in 1984. So, my personal streak is at 30 years of losing from the Flyers, Tigers and Eagles combined. What gives me the feeling that "just once, before I die" will be my motto going forward. At least Homer is gone, he had no clue how to build a championship team.

. What gives me the feeling that "just once, before I die" will be my motto going forward.

That is what i'm saying bro God is that to much to ask just one....as well before i die. I'll take either first a Stanley Cup or Superbowl i'm not picky!!!!!!!!

Am I a bad fan if I simply say, at this point..."So ******* what?!?!?!"   :angry:

That's a over a generation ago.  I was 4 years old and it's my 1st memory of hockey---wearring my Flyers PJ's, sitting on my dads' lap.

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD....I am so sick and tired of Al Davis trotting out something that happened 20 years before Al Gore invented the internet.  Get over it!

"steps off the soap box"

• Like 1

Am I a bad fan if I simply say, at this point..."So ******* what?!?!?!"   :angry:

That's a over a generation ago.  I was 4 years old and it's my 1st memory of hockey---wearring my Flyers PJ's, sitting on my dads' lap.

BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD....I am so sick and tired of Al Davis trotting out something that happened 20 years before Al Gore invented the internet.  Get over it!

"steps off the soap box"

yes you are a bad fan.

but i am right there with you, i just wish I had pulled in the Al Davis reference.  nice !

Flyers won the Cup and I went to  work at Engine 28 s Firehouse Belgrade and Clearfield . Just when the celebration got under way we were sent to Engine 2 at 7Th and Norris because they were out all night on a fire. Nary a sound from the neighborhood which was  in North Philly predominately a black area. No I am not a racist merely pointing out they did not bother with Hockey.

Edited by Phlyer1

Sad. I was an 8 year old kid. Only favourite pro team to win since the Flyers 2 cups was my Tigers in 1984. So, my personal streak is at 30 years of losing from the Flyers, Tigers and Eagles combined. What gives me the feeling that "just once, before I die" will be my motto going forward. At least Homer is gone, he had no clue how to build a championship team.

Mr Snider??? :ph34r:

Uhh.. happy anniversary?   

In 1974....

...Hank Aaron becomes major league baseball's all time leader in home runs surpassing Babe Ruth.

...Nixon resigns the Presidency.

...Muhammad Ali KO's George Foreman to regain the Heavyweight title in the famed Rumble in the Jungle.

...Ronald DeFeo murders his entire family in Amityville, NY inspiring the story that becomes The Amityville Horror.

...Patti Hearst is kidnapped.

...The Sting wins Best Picture at the 46th Annual Academy Awards beating, among others, American Graffiti and The Exorcist.

...Happy Days premiers on NBC.

...The Dean Martin Show and The Brady Bunch ends.

...The Sears Tower in Chicago opens.

;)

@B21

In 1974....

...Hank Aaron becomes major league baseball's all time leader in home runs surpassing Babe Ruth.

...Nixon resigns the Presidency.

...Muhammad Ali KO's George Foreman to regain the Heavyweight title in the famed Rumble in the Jungle.

...Ronald DeFeo murders his entire family in Amityville, NY inspiring the story that becomes The Amityville Horror.

...Patti Hearst is kidnapped.

...The Sting wins Best Picture at the 46th Annual Academy Awards beating, among others, American Graffiti and The Exorcist.

...Happy Days premiers on NBC.

...The Dean Martin Show and The Brady Bunch ends.

...The Sears Tower in Chicago opens.

;)

Good Lord, you just made me more depressed than I was when this thread started....and I didn't think that was possible....ha ha...good job bro!!

@B21

Good Lord, you just made me more depressed than I was when this thread started....and I didn't think that was possible....ha ha...good job bro!!

I got 1975 all revved up and ready to go for the 40th Anniversary of the last Cup. Starting with B21 was born.... ;)

Greetings:

I think Hoffmann's take below was interesting. We came of age at a different time. I agree that post-salary cap reality has been different for the club. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140519_Flyers__Cup_drought_defies_odds.html

I hope we move forward under Hextall.  Only time will tell. I was a senior in high school when we one the last one.  Yikes.

Howie