Blues resign Elliott, Ryan Miller not coming back

yave1964

Brian Elliott was resigned today to a 3 year deal worth 7.5 million dollars. Elliott, along with AHL top prospect Jake Allen will form the Blues tandem going forward meaning that Ryan Miller is gone like a cool breeze.

Wow, when a rental blows up in your face it is ugly. The Blues put all their eggs in the Miller basket and he was bleh, average at best and could not get past the Blackhawks.

For this, they gave up Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, a 2015 first rounder and a 2016 third round pick. They did get Steve Ott was well, who was down right bad for the Blues and is an UFA as well.

The Blues went all in, it blew up in their faces, somehow they convinced Elliott to forgive them for the way they shoved him to the side and resign. Miller is out in the cold, looking for a home and the Blues have egg on their face. At least they moved on quickly and accepted the mistake and managed to appease Elliott.

The appease Elliott part is what kind of surprised me.  I thought they may end up with Allen and [insert FA name here].

The trade made no sense to me when it was made and made little sense when "average at best" ended up being a little generous.  The Blues' record after the trade was only .500   That circumstance wasn't entirely Miller's fault, but the results before and after the trade were night and day.

Good on them for simply acknowledging it didn't work and moving on.

I don't know if this thread was intended as "what do the Blues do now?" or "Where does miller go now?"  But I guess the likely landing spots for Ryan are either San Jose (if they decide to give up on Niemi) or Vancouver (who really does need a goalie and average might work for now) or maybe Phoenix.  I know Smith just signed, but Miller would be an upgrade and Smith didn't impress me this year.

The Blues...they really do need some scoring up front, at least for playoff purposes anyway.   I think Hitchcock does a good job getting a lot out of them and they do have nice pieces but I don't perceive them as a complete team .  They're not that far away if they make the right decisions up front.

For this, they gave up Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, a 2015 first rounder and a 2016 third round pick.

I think the 2015 was conditional on them resigning Miller which is why i knew they wouldn't resign him so i'm almost sure they keep that pick....but i have been wrong before.

This is good move not to bring him back Allen i feel will be given every chance to take the leading role...Elliot is only 29 so it a move i understand.

I think the 2015 was conditional on them resigning Miller which is why i knew they wouldn't resign him so i'm almost sure they keep that pick....but i have been wrong before.

This is good move not to bring him back Allen i feel will be given every chance to take the leading role...Elliot is only 29 so it a move i understand.

I did not know the 2015 first rounder was conditional upon resigning Miller, so essentially they are giving up the rights to Miller to keep their first rounder in that case. If so, good trade for the Blues.

I did not know the 2015 first rounder was conditional upon resigning Miller, so essentially they are giving up the rights to Miller to keep their first rounder in that case. If so, good trade for the Blues.

Yes i swear i read that on hockeybuzz somewhere but i can't/won't say 100% but i will look for confirmation and i will either post it or come and admit i'm wrong if i find other wise. I won't to say it was on the hockeybuzz Blues guy page.

Wonder waht would have happened if the Blues would have just kept some of their 1st rounders and Lars Eller, Carl Soderberg and Erik Johnson?

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor @yave1964

The way I understand it is the conditional pick was for 2014 and it would have been a 1st if: a) Miller re-signed, or b) the Blues reached the Western Conference Finals. As it stands, the Sabres will get a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2015 1st round pick. This is great news for the Sabres as they will have three 1st rounders next year..... 

Man that was a lot to put into one goalie, but I guess that the Blues' Brass thought they were "one" player away. 

@OccamsRazor @yave1964

The way I understand it is the conditional pick was for 2014 and it would have been a 1st if: a) Miller re-signed, or b) the Blues reached the Western Conference Finals. As it stands, the Sabres will get a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2015 1st round pick. This is great news for the Sabres as they will have three 1st rounders next year..... 

Man that was a lot to put into one goalie, but I guess that the Blues' Brass thought they were "one" player away. 

Ok you may be right..i remember it being conditional....but that is a lot to pay for a rental....i sure hope Hexy is not that type of GM to over pay like that i guess we'll find out this upcoming trade deadline next year.

• Like 1

They may have been right, but that "one" player certainly wasn't the goalie...

Again, the Blues' problem wasn't keeping the puck out of the net, it was scoring freaking goals.

In four playoff losses, they scored 7 total goals. Ain't gonna win much with a 1.75 Goals For average.

@radoran

No they're not. I actually liked the make up of their team before the Miller trade. If they could have gotten Vanek to play with Oshie, the outcome probably would have been the same, but it would have been far more entertaining. 

Maybe Pittsburgh takes a run at Miller and trade Fleury. Wouldn't be the craziest thing. 

I'm not sure I ever understood that move from the Blues either. Like rad said, keeping the puck out of their net wasn't the problem. 

Like rad said, keeping the puck out of their net wasn't the problem.

This.  It would be like the Flyers going into the playoffs and trading for a mediocre defenseman.  Oh, never mind...

Maybe Pittsburgh takes a run at Miller and trade Fleury. Wouldn't be the craziest thing. 

No, that would be St. Louis trading for him.

Pittsburgh wouldn't be beyond the realm of believeability, but then the Pens would need to find a trade partner for Fleury.  And, really, I didn't think Fleury was the problem this year. I could see Pitt deciding to move the Flower for cap/payroll reasons, but I don't know that Miller really alleviates that problem (not if they're in the neighborhood of what he seems to be asking for).  Speaking of neighborhood, if reports/rumors are accurate and Miller really wants to be near the west coast for his wife, then Pittsburgh may not be the best fit for him.

No, that would be St. Louis trading for him.

Pittsburgh wouldn't be beyond the realm of believeability, but then the Pens would need to find a trade partner for Fleury.  And, really, I didn't think Fleury was the problem this year. I could see Pitt deciding to move the Flower for cap/payroll reasons, but I don't know that Miller really alleviates that problem (not if they're in the neighborhood of what he seems to be asking for).  Speaking of neighborhood, if reports/rumors are accurate and Miller really wants to be near the west coast for his wife, then Pittsburgh may not be the best fit for him.

I guess I was thinking it might be the kind of splashy move a new GM makes to shake things up and put his early stamp on things. I agree that Miller is probably not the answer, but it would signal that Fleury is not in the long term plans, and then Pittsburgh could get begin grooming their next goaltender while Miller plays out the remaining few years of his career.

But if what you say about him looking West is true, then it's a moot point. Wouldn't be the first time a player is fooled by his wife into looking West. ;)

• Like 1

Hello, Vancouver.  

Yeah, I'm thinking the Canucks first.  Possibly San Jose if they've given up on Niemi.  Outside chance for Phoenix because he is an upgrade over Smith, but they just signed Smith so unlikely.

Yeah, I'm thinking the Canucks first.  Possibly San Jose if they've given up on Niemi.  Outside chance for Phoenix because he is an upgrade over Smith, but they just signed Smith so unlikely.

Haha, yeah, Vancouver is is ROUGH shape. Unbelievable how they have driven that franchise into the ground in just a few short years.

There are a lot more quality goalies than there are teams in need of one.

Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg Buffalo, Minnesota, San Jose and Edmonton, to varying degrees might be interested in a netminder. Of these, none with the possible exception of Vancouver are close to desperate. I could even see these clubs all standing pat in net.

So guys like Miller better be aggressive in finding a home. I still think Winnipeg would be the best destination, they likely would have been a playoff team with Miller last year. But who the hell in their right mind would go to Winnipeg unless they had no other options? Look for Miller to land in Vancouver. Who knows, Rick might be in tears as Miller resigns with the Sabres.