Blues resign Elliott, Ryan Miller not coming back

yave1964

But I guess the likely landing spots for Ryan are either San Jose (if they decide to give up on Niemi) or Vancouver (who really does need a goalie and average might work for now) or maybe Phoenix.

I was at applebees the other day and the guy in the booth behind me was talking about how Miller was going to go back to buffalo. I was going to give him some credence to that notion until I saw him pushing his Lumina to get home. 

Oh, and if you have not tried it, the deep fried halibut is quite tasty. Get it with extra tartar sauce!! 

Edited by Vanflyer

I think at the end of the day this is exactly how it plays out.  Ryan will land in Vancouver in my opinion.  But the Sharks and Ducks are still possible.  Vancouver has an open spot for him right now.  It would be a good fit.  If he cannot come back here, I hope its Vancouver.  I also think St Louis will regret this but let them do what they must.  Of course had they signed him they would have had to give more to us.  When is this blasted draft?  

I'm pretty sure St. Louis already regrets trading for him.

I think at the end of the day this is exactly how it plays out.  Ryan will land in Vancouver in my opinion.  But the Sharks and Ducks are still possible.  Vancouver has an open spot for him right now.  It would be a good fit.  If he cannot come back here, I hope its Vancouver.  I also think St Louis will regret this but let them do what they must.  Of course had they signed him they would have had to give more to us.  When is this blasted draft?  

The Canucks make perfect sense, but the Ducks and Sharks...not a snowball's chance in hell.

Ducks? They have more goalies than you can shake a stick at including a stud rookie.

Pass.

He did a nice job of playing Possum over there so he could come home.

So you think he threw the series to get back to 30th place? Lol. Yikes... Uhh... If he'd won a Cup he can still choose who he signs with after this season.

He did a nice job of playing Possum over there so he could come home.

You do know that Ryan Millers primary home is in Lansing Michigan and his secondary home is in Southern California? You also know that he sold his town home that he stayed at during the season when playing for the Sabres, right? 

If so, I guess you are alluding that Miller is going to go play for the Redwings (not sure what that means for Howard). 

Somewhere in Rochester, a man is sitting in an Applebees on a laptop with his fingers in his ears, his eyes closed yelling at your post "I can't hear you, I can't hear you"!

They have laptops in applebee's now? My stomach is growling. 

The Canucks make perfect sense, but the Ducks and Sharks...not a snowball's chance in hell.

Agree on the Ducks. I don't think San Jose is likely or anything but McClellan seemed to sour on Niemi a little. I don't know Niemi's contract status, though, and am on my phone and don't feel like looking. That could be the cog that would eliminate San Jose as a possibility.

He is signed through next season at a modest 3.8 m.

Is he tradeable then? It's too short and too modest to waste a compliance buyout on, I would think. I would think Niemi would be a tradeable asset *IF* San Jose decided to go with Miller, yeah?

I would think Niemi would be a tradeable asset *IF* San Jose decided to go with Miller, yeah?

Truthfully, I think San Jose lets it ride out. They have Stalock in the wings (and perhaps ready for prime time). The only way you see a Miller in san jose is if they don't believe Stalock is ready and they are done with Niemi. Given Niemis salary, he is certainly moveable and serviceable. A neimi / miller change would be an apples to apples thing imo. If I am San Jose, I keep what I know and ride out the season to the trade deadline and if it turns out Stalock is my horse, I move Niemie at the trade deadline where his return will be the highest. 

Truthfully, I think San Jose lets it ride out. They have Stalock in the wings (and perhaps ready for prime time). The only way you see a Miller in san jose is if they don't believe Stalock is ready and they are done with Niemi. Given Niemis salary, he is certainly moveable and serviceable. A neimi / miller change would be an apples to apples thing imo. If I am San Jose, I keep what I know and ride out the season to the trade deadline and if it turns out Stalock is my horse, I move Niemie at the trade deadline where his return will be the highest.

I agree on all counts. I actually agree that Niemi or Miller wouldn't be much different. When you add in that Miller will likely want more than that... Yeah, not a good move.

Agree on Stalock, too. Give Niemi the year to work Stalock in and then move on.

The way I understand it is the conditional pick was for 2014 and it would have been a 1st if: a) Miller re-signed, or b) the Blues reached the Western Conference Finals. As it stands, the Sabres will get a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2015 1st round pick. This is great news for the Sabres as they will have three 1st rounders next year..... 

Yep.  A complicated trade.    So there is probably no way St. Louis signs or trades Miller before the draft unless they get a first round pick for him.  And I don't see anyone giving them that first round pick.

Buffalo recieves St. Louis's 2014 1st round pick if the Blues re-sign Ryan Miller or if they trade his rights before the draft. If Miller signs or is traded after the draft, it becomes a 2016 2nd round pick. St. Louis receives Ryan Miller and Steve Ott for a conditional 2014 first round pick, a 2015 1st round pick, Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart and William Carrier.