Interesting Sharks article from TFP

Someone with a few ears in Wilson's office

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/sjs140519.html

The San Jose Sharks' off-season of change already got underway this past week and could steal headlines this summer if the team moves one of its big names.

Citing multiple sources close to the team, TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta is reporting the Sharks will explore the possibility of trading captain Joe Thornton, sniper Patrick Marleau and goalie Antti Niemi this off-season.

Thornton and Marleau both own no-movement clauses and would have to approve any deal the Sharks attempt to complete.

One league source told TFP that as of Sunday night, the Sharks have not approached Thornton about waiving his no-movement clause, nor have they broached the subject, other than to indicate the team plans on getting younger and building around Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski and Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

A separate source confirmed that the Sharks met with Marleau on Friday, though it's unknown if the team discussed the possibility of an off-season trade.

Pagnotta indicates that while it is unlikely Thornton would waive his no-movement clause this off-season, he would consider it under "extenuating circumstances."

Thornton, 34, signed a three-year, $20.25 million contract extension on Jan. 24, while Marleau, 34, signed a three-year, $20 million extension that same day. Both deals kick in July 1.

Niemi, 30, will enter the final-year of his four-year, $15.2 million contract next season. While his salary cap hit is $3.8 million, he's owed $4 million in actual salary. He does not own a no-trade or no-movement clause.

While trading Thornton or Marleau is not a guarantee and may prove to be difficult, given their no-movement clauses and desire to both stay in San Jose, Pagnotta is also reporting the Sharks' preference to get younger in goal.

Sharks GM Doug Wilson is trying to re-sign netminder Alex Stalock and hopes to acquire a young goalie this off-season, which could come as part of a package for Marleau or Thornton, or through another deal, perhaps involving Niemi.

Several teams, including the Sharks, are expected to make significant roster changes this off-season.

The Ottawa Senators are expected to trade captain Jason Spezza, as first reported by Pagnotta on Mar. 3; the Toronto Maple Leafs are reportedly looking to shake up their roster and are taking calls on captain Dion Phaneuf, among others; the Winnipeg Jets will continue to consider deals for star left wing Evander Kane; and the Vancouver Canucks, once a new GM is hired, must decide whether or not to trade the likes of Ryan Kesler and Alexander Edler, both of whom were almost dealt prior to the Mar. 5 trade deadline.

Thornton has been among the League leaders in points for the majority of his career and the asking price will presumably be steep.

In 82 games with the Sharks this season, Thornton registered 11 goals and 76 points. His 65 assists placed him second in the NHL in that category only to Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.

Marleau also played 82 games with the Sharks this year, picking up 33 goals and 37 assists for 70 points.

The Sharks have already started tinkering with their roster. As they announced on Thursday, they will not bring back defenseman Dan Boyle and right wing Martin Havlat next season.

Boyle will become an unrestricted free agent July 1, while Havlat, who has one-year left on his contract, will be bought out unless the Sharks can trade him.

Trade talks are expected to pick up in the coming weeks and could intensify closer to the NHL Draft on June 27-28 in Philadelphia.

TFP Editor-in-Chief David Pagnotta contributed to this report.

Please god Doug Wilson, don't trade Thornton. Niemi and Marleau sure. Thornton teaches so much to the young guys and makes everybody a bit better.

Reading Roenick's book was enlightening. From his book: chapter 23 pg 234-238

He goes into detail about Marleau and Thornton on the Sharks. Thornton was listed as his 7th favorite teammate of all time. His exact words were that he had instant respect for Joe, and that he wanted to win. "Thornton is part of the solution, not part of the problem"

Strangely, he listed Marleau as his 2nd most hated player ever. Claiming he wished he had Marleau's skill, and Marleau had his heart and he could be the best player in the league. In fact, it goes into 3 page detail about Marleau.

""When Marleau lost his captaincy on August 17, 2009, it certainly wasn’t a surprise to those of us who played with him. No matter how big the game was, Marleau’s face was always the same. We just didn’t see any true passion from him. Win or lose, he was the same.

It was like he was punching a time clock every day—punch in, punch out, like he had an ordinary job."

"On the night that I ripped Marleau on Versus, I received calls from three Sharks players upset over Marleau’s lack of effort on that play.
“You obviously have not heard what I said about Marleau,” I said to them.""

It was an eye opening chapter. He went to Marleau's house to have a chat with him once to try to inspire him to be more and realized he was wasting his time shortly in to the conversation.

I find it funny that Dan Boyle said the exact phrase "I am part of the solution, not part of the problem" when they were giving him his exit interview and then went on to say "out of respect for my teammates, those conversations are between me and them and I had a candid discussion with Doug discussing who the problems are. Probably the most open and honest discussion I have had about it since I have been here" when asked if anyone in particular is the problem.

Marleau is a nice guy and a guy everyone likes, but apparently, his aloofness rubs off on a lot of players. Roenick is just the only guy who told it like it is.

Yeah i saw that. Sateri leaving is not a huge deal.

On another note, I wonder if I am looking at this the wrong way. Maybe Wilson's comments, strange as they are, talking about how he does not regret the Thornton/Marleau contracts, but also talking about putting the youth at the forefront moving forward.....taking a step backward to move two steps forward.

Maybe instead of worrying about trades(With NMC's, it makes it strange anyways)Thornton and Marleau will be told they are not going to be getting premier powerplay time and ES offensive time anymore. Maybe they really will put the youth in a position to grow and take over the team. Pavelski, Couture, Hertl, Nieto could potentially eat up the forward offensive time more to learn and grow, while Thornton and Marleau get used strictly for Even strength and 2nd PP unit duties.

Niemi and Marleau sure.

I'd love for my Flyer to trade for him have always like him. Woder if we could workout a Vinny for Patrick trade yes i know more would have to go both ways. I'd do it just to get a shorter deal in return. Yes i know more per for Marleau......but i'd be willing to do somehting i know it won't be popular amongst my fellow Flyer fans but it interests me. But Vinny would have to go the other way.

Vinny and GrossmanN for Marleau and Justin Braun or Matt Irwin or if it had to be a prospect Konrad Abeltshauser???? What say you?

I'd love for my Flyer to trade for him have always like him. Woder if we could workout a Vinny for Patrick trade yes i know more would have to go both ways. I'd do it just to get a shorter deal in return. Yes i know more per for Marleau......but i'd be willing to do somehting i know it won't be popular amongst my fellow Flyer fans but it interests me. But Vinny would have to go the other way.

Vinny and GrossmanN for Marleau and Justin Braun or Matt Irwin or if it had to be a prospect Konrad Abeltshauser???? What say you?

Grossmann? Left side defenseman, good stay at home type. Is kinda what we need. Lecavalier....hmmmm. not sure if he would fit the sharks system. From what I recall, he is most effective at center, not wing and we are overloaded there. In fact, we have 9 natural centers. A lot of them play wing effectively, including Marleau, Pavelski and Hertl

Grossmann? Left side defenseman, good stay at home type. Is kinda what we need. Lecavalier....hmmmm. not sure if he would fit the sharks system. From what I recall, he is most effective at center, not wing and we are overloaded there. In fact, we have 9 natural centers. A lot of them play wing effectively, including Marleau, Pavelski and Hertl

Yes.

Ok well can't blame me for trying. So yoi'd be interested in GrossmanN? We just need to make room for some youngsters...and he has a pretty decent contract.

3.5 mill over the next 2 but he has to ok it which i can't see why he wouldn't want to go to the Sharks pretty good organization even though they are a west coast California team i think you guys pretty good support from the fans. Now this is my plan to move him to make room for some of the younger guys but they don't ahve to move him.

The front office of course are maybe happy with him and his contract and i don't mind him that much he is a physical shot blocker just not real fast. 

Edited by OccamsRazor

Yes.

Ok well can't blame me for trying. So yoi'd be interested in GrossmanN? We just need to make room for some youngsters...and he has a pretty decent contract.

3.5 mill over the next 2 but he has to ok it which i can't see why he wouldn't want to go to the Sharks pretty good organization even though they are a west coast California team i think you guys pretty good support from the fans. Now this is my plan to move him to make room for some of the younger guys but they don't ahve to move him.

The front office of course are maybe happy with him and his contract and i don't mind him that much he is a physical shot blocker just not real fast. 

Ideally, The Sharks want a Markov or Niskanen for the 1st/2nd pairing Left side. But we also want to find someone for the third pairing. Granted, we would need to trade off Stuart first, which is harder because of his limited NTC and he makes the same amount......

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally, The Sharks want a Markov or Niskanen for the 1st/2nd pairing Left side. But we also want to find someone for the third pairing. Granted, we would need to trade off Stuart first, which is harder because of his limited NTC and he makes the same amount......

Analyst says Sharks will win Stanley Cup next year

“To be honest, I think San Jose is going to win the Stanley Cup next year. That’s how strongly I feel about their team,” said Jones from New York, where he is a part of NBC’s broadcast team for the Stanley Cup Final. “I understand there’s going to be some tweaks, but I would not do a whole lot with that lineup.

“I can’t believe they didn’t get past L.A. with the way that series started. And, if I was picking my Cup team for next year, it would be San Jose.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/analyst-says-sharks-will-win-stanley-cup-next-year?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Analyst says Sharks will win Stanley Cup next year

“To be honest, I think San Jose is going to win the Stanley Cup next year. That’s how strongly I feel about their team,” said Jones from New York, where he is a part of NBC’s broadcast team for the Stanley Cup Final. “I understand there’s going to be some tweaks, but I would not do a whole lot with that lineup.

“I can’t believe they didn’t get past L.A. with the way that series started. And, if I was picking my Cup team for next year, it would be San Jose.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/analyst-says-sharks-will-win-stanley-cup-next-year?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Shame Doug Wilson feels the need to rebuild. Had he picked up a piece or two for defense.....

@J0e Th0rnton

Lets play GM for a day,

I am Ken Holland, as long as someone wakes him up and wipes the oatmeal off his chin and reminds him what decade it is (Sorry, i love the old guy but Yzerman and Nill have left to run franchises because the old guy wont move on and allow youth to be served) and you are Wilson.

The Wings need a scoring winger. Nyquist is not going anywhere period, simply not an option. Marleau would look just fine in the winged wheel.

Other than Nyquist, any one of the young forwards, Jurco, Tatar, Sheahan, along with Brendan Smith is what i would offer for Marleau. Truthfully, i don't think it is enough, Smith has finally started developing into a hard hitting top four although he still takes way too many dumb penalties and all fo the kids mentioned are solid 'B' prospects and not blue chippers, but if the Sharks are looking to get younger and shed salary to make a run at a Niskanen this is a way to make it happen. Essentially it would be a three for one, the Wings take on the old guy for a push, something they have shown they are not afraid to do, with mixed success. If i were the Sharks, i would rather have Marleau than Smith and Tatar, but i think i would rather have Niskanen, Smith and Tatar than Marleau at this point in the game.

I hearing he is about to head to Carolina for Cam Ward.....or that is the buzz...we'll see.

Ill call bullcrap on that. Eklund rumor that does not make sense. Wilson said if he moves the big guys, it would be for an impact top defenseman, or high level prospects and picks. Not a goalie more expensive than the one we currently have and even worse.

Eklund rumor that does not make sense.

I live down here in the Carolina's and i heard it around here....that is what really let me know it may have wheels....if someone around here knows about it. But i hope it ain't true i'd like to get Marleau from you to play with G. Not sure what the cost would be, but i would be interested for sure.

Wilson said if he moves the big guys, it would be for an impact top defenseman, or high level prospects and picks.

So how about this Scott Hartnell, Nick GrossmanN, Brayden Schenn for Patrick Marleau and Micro Mueller.

So how about this Scott Hartnell, Nick GrossmanN, Brayden Schenn for Patrick Marleau and Micro Mueller.

I think we are the only team in the league with more centers than you, so Schenn is not needed since he does not seem to play wing well. Hartnell doesn't seem to fit the mold of what we need. Speedy youth up front on the wings and Left side defensemen.

Mueller was declared near untouchable by Wilson, as has most of our players under 30. You'd be looking more at guys like Read, Akeson and picks as trade

material. We are unlikely trading partners due to your cap space.

Grossman is a possibility ill grant, but not worth the price of Mueller, who looks like he will be the next Vlasic.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

I live down here in the Carolina's and i heard it around here....that is what really let me know it may have wheels....if someone around here knows about it. But i hope it ain't true i'd like to get Marleau from you to play with G. Not sure what the cost would be, but i would be interested for sure.

Oh I get that. But Ward has less trade value than Havlat right now. Unless they are swapping the two (Ward-Havlat)straight up, it makes no sense to me.

Oh I get that. But Ward has less trade value than Havlat right now. Unless they are swapping the two (Ward-Havlat)straight up, it makes no sense to me.

Well i think Ward in a better goaltender than Niemi and no i don't think anyone will want Havlat. Marleau was the piece coming back for Ward and more pieces/prospects supposed to be in that trade. If it goes down it will be at the draft. But neither side has to make that trade either.

I think we are the only team in the league with more centers than you, so Schenn is not needed since he does not seem to play wing well. Hartnell doesn't seem to fit the mold of what we need. Speedy youth up front on the wings and Left side defensemen.

Mueller was declared near untouchable by Wilson, as has most of our players under 30. You'd be looking more at guys like Read, Akeson and picks as trade

material. We are unlikely trading partners due to your cap space.

Grossman is a possibility ill grant, but not worth the price of Mueller, who looks like he will be the next Vlasic.

I would just trade him to you for a 3rd he is a decent physical stay at home type and has a good contract. The only thing about him is he isn't fast. But he could be a bottom pair guy for you. A 3rd for him would be a fair exchange.

I would just trade him to you for a 3rd he is a decent physical stay at home type and has a good contract. The only thing about him is he isn't fast. But he could be a bottom pair guy for you. A 3rd for him would be a fair exchange.

I suspect Wilson is going to try to force Mueller's development by putting him in the big leagues before he is ready. Which will likely make him our #6 on the left side.

Overall, we have a big hole to fill on the 2nd pairing left side and Grossman does not seem to fit the bill. I wish above all else that the damn GM would pay the money to get Niskanen. We have freaking $13-14 million in cap space just losing Havlat and Boyle. 10 million More if we dump Stuart, Kennedy and Niemi.

it just boggles my mind that we have so many great top 6 forwards in Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Marleau, Hertl, Nieto, and a lot of decent bottom 6 forwards like Torres, Wingels, Desjardins, Sheppard. AND great right side defense in Burns, Demers and Braun, with a top notch left side defender in Vlasic......AND a ton of capspace.

But Wilson won't go out and get a real goalie, or shore up the other 2 left side defenseman spots with realistically $20 million in cap space.

We are THIS damn close. Took the champs to 7 games and nearly swept them before the Vlasic injury and subsquent choke. But now he thinks it is time to rebuild?????

God, I never hated Wilson as much as I do now.

Yes, Douggie. Do go out and get more Doug Murray's, Colin White's, Vandermeers, Wallin's and Huskin's while sending Ehrhoff packing for a 3rd round pick.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

Overall, we have a big hole to fill on the 2nd pairing left side and Grossman does not seem to fit the bill.

Yes that would be out his range....bottom pair with some PK time is his forte, physical shot blocker and will mix it up now and then.

Ehrhoff packing for a 3rd round pick.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yeah that was a baffling move and a what was he thinking deal. At lest you guys have some blueliners you have drafted look at the Flyer's mercenary blueline they have to constantly over pay and give draft picks away cause they can't find Dmen. I hope that has changed with Morin, Hagg and Ghost time will tell.

Yes that would be out his range....bottom pair with some PK time is his forte, physical shot blocker and will mix it up now and then.

Yeah that was a baffling move and a what was he thinking deal. At lest you guys have some blueliners you have drafted look at the Flyer's mercenary blueline they have to constantly over pay and give draft picks away cause they can't find Dmen. I hope that has changed with Morin, Hagg and Ghost time will tell.

He talked Ehrhoff into taking a short extension, hometown discount at 3.1 million cap hit for 3 years. Then decided to make room for Dany Heatley. The problem is, he did not need to make room for Dany Heatley. Then he decided it would be a fantastic idea to sign Nick Wallin(Half the player Ehrhoff is) to a 2.65 million dollar deal. OH! And Kent Huskins to a 1.7 million deal.

Among the worst decisions he ever made as GM other than to NEVER persue unrestricted free agents because they cost a bit more. Ehrhoff of course went on to 2 years of being top 10 in Norris nomination and 94 points and +55 in the next 2 seasons.

It grates on Shark fans to no end because Ehrhoff is EXACTLY what type we need on the left side right now. And Wilson traded him for nothing. NOTHING. And Ehrhoff is a freaking Iron man, rarely missing games due to injury.

Nothing like talking a guy into an extension at hometown Discount and trading him right away Eh Wilson? Did the same thing to Michalek, albeit for Heatley. Small Wonder everyone demands a No trade clause and no movement clause in their contracts now.

Nothing like talking a guy into an extension at hometown Discount and trading him right away Eh Wilson?

Yeah sounds like he has been getting advice form Homer.

Should have never got rid of Lombardi he drafted a damn good nucleus to that team. Marleau, Stuart, Hannan, Sturm, Goc, Cheechoo, Clowe, Mark Smith, and yours truly Erhoff.

And brought in Owen Nolan and Selanne. Should have kept Dean.

Yeah sounds like he has been getting advice form Homer.

Should have never got rid of Lombardi he drafted a damn good nucleus to that team. Marleau, Stuart, Hannan, Sturm, Goc, Cheechoo, Clowe, Mark Smith, and yours truly Erhoff.

And brought in Owen Nolan and Selanne. Should have kept Dean.

Yup. Doug Wilson is good at talking guys into taking hometown discounts for the good of the team, but when it comes down to it, all his good trades almost fell into his lap.

He was calling the Bruins to inquire about another lesser player, due to the Sharks 10 game losing streak when MoC offered him Thornton(11th in league scoring at the time, and only Bruins scoring). Not only that, but did not require Marleau going the other way, settling for 3 far lesser players.

Heatley made it plain he wanted out of Ottawa, and ruined their negotiating power by using his NMC to axe an agreement with Edmonton at the time until he went to the team he wanted to all along. The Sharks. They ended up settling for far less than a player of Heater's(Then) caliber was worth. Although Heatley declined quickly, Michalek and Cheechoo declined quicker and were already declining due to injury, and the pick they gave us ended up translating to a trade up to get Logan Couture.

Dan Boyle had a no trade clause, But Tampa management told him he was unwanted and demanded he waive, but he got to pick where to go. He picked San Jose, and in fairness, they got a decent return for him.

Maybe he was smart with the Burns trade. I cannot remember how that went down. I do remember Burns saying he wanted them to lose every game. He wanted his friends on the wild to score hat tricks every game but the team to lose.