Value of: Patrick Marleau

Hypothetically, If he waives his NMC, he is signed for 3 more years at 6.66 million. Has yet to lose his speed at age 34-35. Can play Center or winger and plays in all situations.

What would he be worth to your team? or a team you know well who may be looking for a consistent scoring forward.

Sharks needs are: Young Wingers, Young Left side defensemen. If you want to think of package deals, Assume Wilson has declared Hertl, Vlasic, Nieto, Mueller, and Couture/Pavelski untouchable and Wilson actually has come out and said he will not trade picks anymore anytime soon.

Speed is an issue. Sharks coaching hate slow players

What would he be worth to your team? or a team you know well who may be looking for a consistent scoring forward.

I have always liked Marleau. 

From a Flyers view, I would give you Hartnell (down) and Akeson and a 2nd rounder!! 

Seriously, given Marleau's cap hit, its going to be hard to fill the holes you mentioned. I would do a L. Schenn + an Akeson and / or 2nd round pick. Anything more than that (mostly because of the cap hit) is too much. San Jose's d is expiring next year (only two players under after next season. So regardless of speed. L Schenn would fill a need. Akeson gives you a speedy winger that just needs a chance. The 2nd rounder.....figure it out. 

I have always liked Marleau. 

From a Flyers view, I would give you Hartnell (down) and Akeson and a 2nd rounder!! 

Seriously, given Marleau's cap hit, its going to be hard to fill the holes you mentioned. I would do a L. Schenn + an Akeson and / or 2nd round pick. Anything more than that (mostly because of the cap hit) is too much. San Jose's d is expiring next year (only two players under after next season. So regardless of speed. L Schenn would fill a need. Akeson gives you a speedy winger that just needs a chance. The 2nd rounder.....figure it out. 

heh. I thought Coburn was the one you guys were always hating on in chat :)

But I like your proposal. If Marleau were on the block for certain, I would strongly consider it. Schenn as #6/#7 on the Sharks practicing with Vlasic and Larry Robinson for pointers :) Robinson did wonders helping Braun and Demers and Irwin improve defensively and on the PK  this season.

@J0e Th0rnton  I think Marleau fetches a 1st rounder, a prospect and a 3-4 liner. Regardless of age and cap hit, the guy has legit value.  Like you said, he has not lost a step, which is very important. He keeps himself in awesome shape, so there is a really good chance we don't see a noticeable speed decline for a few years. He has a fantastic work ethic, great leadership qualities, which will assure his value will not decline. Personally, I think 6.6 for Marleau is a great deal, and it will only get better as a few years pass. Not the direction I want the Flyers to take, but somebody will LOVE what he brings to their team. If he goes to a team with a nice offense and respectable top pp, I see him potting 35-40 goals no problem, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Okay, if I channel my inner Ken Holland, after someone wakes me up and wipes the oatmeal from my chin....

You guys are looking to get younger in net. We have Petr Mrazek who is brash and cocky and almost universally agreed the best AHL goalie prospect in the game, stuck behind an unmovable contract of Jimmy Howard.

We are LOADED with young forward prospects.

We could offer:

1. Mrazak who goes perfect with Stalock.

2. Your choice of Tatar/Jurco/Pulkinnen, all of whom are top end prospects ready right now. Gotta swallow hard about dealing any of them.

3. our first round pick which I believe is #15.

Okay, if I channel my inner Ken Holland, after someone wakes me up and wipes the oatmeal from my chin....

You guys are looking to get younger in net. We have Petr Mrazek who is brash and cocky and almost universally agreed the best AHL goalie prospect in the game, stuck behind an unmovable contract of Jimmy Howard.

We are LOADED with young forward prospects.

We could offer:

2. Your choice of Tatar/Jurco/Pulkinnen, all of whom are top end prospects ready right now. Gotta swallow hard about dealing any of them.

That is a legit offer, very fair and would be nice deal for both teams. I don't think the Wings will part with Mrazak, he is the future in the Wings nets. I could see Riley Shehean (sp..lol), Jurco and a first rounder. That should get it done. Maybe Glending is thrown in.....or Riley is replace by Brendan Smith.

heh. I thought Coburn was the one you guys were always hating on in chat

Actually I don't hate Schenn. Just if I am a Sharks GM, I want something younger in the d area coming back my way and Schenn fits that bill. Truthfully, I would have pegged gustafson had he not signed in the KHL (he fits the speed mode you cited, and is a bit of a project, but his kinks certainly can still be ironed out). I would not do Couburn because that leaves too big of a hole to fill on the Flyers side of the deal. 

I think Marleau fetches a 1st rounder, a prospect and a 3-4 liner.

Hey Jammer- I don't think picks / prospects gets you Marleau. I think you need a current NHL roster player that is productive. 

I re-thought your comment on the value / price of Marleau and in hind site you are correct that his cost is fair to his production, in fact could even be considered a bargain. 

Thats a pretty generous deal, but I don't think it solves the problem. Also, I think San Jose will want a serviceable goalie to replace Niemi (if he is not resigned). And while Mrazak could / would be the goalie of the future, I don't think you want to put all your eggs in his basket right away. I think you need a dman and a winger going back san jose's way for Marleau. 

Hey Jammer- I don't think picks / prospects gets you Marleau. I think you need a current NHL roster player that is productive. 

I re-thought your comment on the value / price of Marleau and in hind site you are correct that his cost is fair to his production, in fact could even be considered a bargain. 

I dunno Van....take a gander at the Sharks cap situation. They have 2.6 mill to play with and are looking at losing Boyle to UFA. That pretty tight and their will be a pressing need to replace Boyle, who helps run the pp. I think the right package of picks and prospects might get the job done. The pick(s) would have to be substantial and the prospect(s) would have to be close to can't miss.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=SJ

I dunno Van....take a gander at the Sharks cap situation. They have 2.6 mill to play with and are looking at losing Boyle to UFA. That pretty tight and their will be a pressing need to replace Boyle, who helps run the pp. I think the right package of picks and prospects might get the job done. The pick(s) would have to be substantial and the prospect(s) would have to be close to can't miss.

Good points (particularly the cap thing). For me, as arm chair gm, I prefer trading a known quantity than an unknown (meaning existing players and lower round picks). I just posted on another thread about Weber / Flyers offer sheet. I am just unable to swallow the pill of the future / current for a single player. I don't mind trading, but prefer trading minimally on picks (unless its a weak draft class) and giving prospects / current players instead. 

I don't know who said it (maybe you), but there was mention of trading / poaching Nashville's head of defense scouting. I thought it was a brilliant idea, but not easily accomplished (there are bylaws within the NHL that forbid that type of action accordingly so). 

Niskanen is the dman I want this summer. I will over pay by 10% to get him. 

I don't know who said it (maybe you), but there was mention of trading / poaching Nashville's head of defense scouting. I thought it was a brilliant idea, but not easily accomplished (there are bylaws within the NHL that forbid that type of action accordingly so).

Nope, was not me, but agreed, sounds like a great idea! The Preds chief amateur scout is Jeff Keatley, maybe that is who the poster was advocating poaching?  Don't think he's anything special at scouting forwards, but seems like he's part genius in spotting rearguards....just what the Flyers need!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=SJ

Heh. Our cap situation is pretty good. Buying out Havlat and letting Boyle walk frees up almost 12 million alone. Now if Wilson just gets it in his head that guys like Kent Huskins, Nick Wallin, Jim Vandermeer, Scott Hannan(current incarnation), Ian White and Colin White are NOT fixes for defense........or guys like Burish, Kennedy are not going to produce like top 6 players.....

Strangely, I have to wonder if the pens would trade Letang and try to keep Niskanen(But Letang's contract is so long and risky and he just had a stroke). I am sure they would love to lose Scuderi, but who would take him...? Shero left the pens in an AWFUL cap situation. Its going to be a busy summer for the next GM trying to get 6 forwards and 2 defensemen with 16 million to play with.

It almost wants me to tell Doug Wilson to be a dick and sign Despres to a small offer sheet. Bylsma treats the rookies like, well, garbage if you believe the pens fans. At least TMac gives youth a fair shake.

@J0e Th0rnton  What do you think of Chris Tierney's chances of making the Sharks as a 20 year center? My gut tells me he will force himself on the team. That kid is a born winner. Very nifty player who at the worse will be an amazing shut down force....but his upside is point per game 2nd line stud. Chris can fly, some great wheels.....I've always thought he was talented, and finally this year he put it all together scoring 40 goals but playing shut down defense as well. He's to good for the AHL I believe, he skips that whole scenario. Only question now is, which veteran will he push out?

@J0e Th0rnton  What do you think of Chris Tierney's chances of making the Sharks as a 20 year center? My gut tells me he will force himself on the team. That kid is a born winner. Very nifty player who at the worse will be an amazing shut down force....but his upside is point per game 2nd line stud. Chris can fly, some great wheels.....I've always thought he was talented, and finally this year he put it all together scoring 40 goals but playing shut down defense as well. He's to good for the AHL I believe, he skips that whole scenario. Only question now is, which veteran will he push out?

Can he play wing? How is he on faceoffs? Ill confess I do not get to follow much below the AHL level besides the Mooseheads.

Chance of displacing a veteran center? Slim to none.

Thornton/Marleau, No movement clauses, 3 more years. Pavelski/Couture No trade Clauses, 5 more years.

Tomas Hertl......Well, let's just say he is our best prospect and current graduate, although Tierney seems ranked close. Desjardins has just been exceeding expectations for an undrafted guy. Perfect 4th line center. Not sure if we are resigning Sheppard or not, but I suspect so. He was our worst player in the 3 games we won, but one of the better players in the 4 we lost, which was bizaare because I had a hate on for him, but grudgingly began to appreciate him.

But Wilson is going to give the younger guys every chance to take whatever role they want on this team, in is own words. If Tierney is as good as you say he is, he could easily do what Hertl did last season and earn a spot on a wing straight out. We are in need of a winger.

@J0e Th0rnton  As you can see, Chris saves his best hockey for the playoffs.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/6713

Not sure how he is on the draws. It's possible one of the stars blocking his way gets moved.....and perhaps having Chris in the fold would make them a bit more secure about moving such an important piece....knowing a quality player is waiting in the wings.

His career points trajectory looks very familiar. A learning year as a 16 year old, not able to reach double digits, but learning the ropes. A double digit year in his second year, 20-35 pts is quite normal at 17...then a big jump up, into the 50-60's and then better than a point per game in his 4th year. You see this quite a lot in the O. He's already one of the best defensive centers around, but his offense makes him all that more intriguing. I see him as a natural centermen....so maybe he plays in the AHL for a year till things get figured out, would not kill him.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharks could move Marleau

TheFourthPeriod.com sj.jpg

The San Jose Sharks are expected to be very active this off-season, and trading away one of their long-time veteran stars could be in the cards for GM Doug Wilson.

Roughly two weeks ago, the Sharks revealed that defenseman Dan Boyle and winger Marty Havlat would not be returning next season.

Boyle is set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, while Havlat's contract will be bought out, if the Sharks are unable to trade him.

In addition to those two months, TFP first reported on May 19 that the Sharks will explore the possibility of trading captain Joe Thornton, sniper Patrick Marleau and goalie Antti Niemi.

TFP also reported that the Sharks are looking to get younger between the pipes and are expected to trade Niemi before his contract expires at the end of the 2014-15 season.

Marleau and Thornton both have no-movement clauses in their contracts and would have to approve any trade the Sharks attempt to complete.

Marleau met with the Sharks on May 16 to discuss his future with the organization, where it is believed the topic of a potential trade was brought up.

According to multiple sources, TFP has learned that Thornton is not interested in waiving his no-movement clause, though Marleau may be more inclined to do so.

In 82 games with the Sharks this season, Marleau registered 33 goals and 37 assists for 70 points. The three-time NHL All-Star has scored 30 or more goals seven times in his career, and has scored between 20 and 30 goals five more times.

The 34-year-old would come quite costly, as the Sharks would require a young rising star as part of any package.

Wilson is currently in Toronto attending the NHL Draft Combine, which concludes this weekend. Trade talks are expected to pick up between now and the NHL Draft, which takes place June 27-28 in Philadelphia.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/sjs140601.html

Wilson also expressed a statement earlier this week that said "I want players who want to play here, not just live here."

Roenick was quite vocal about Marleau's "swipe in, swipe out, go home" attitude, while praising Thornton's will to win and attitude. Another "wants to live there" guy would have to be Brad Stuart, who moved there simply because it was closer to home and watched his game fall off a cliff since.

• 9 months later...

Everything you said is coming to pass.

Tierney's consensus likelyhood was 3rd line center, but I am seeing a guy who has a higher ceiling than that. The kid's vision and passing is far better than i was lead to believe and when they play him with other skilled players like Hertl, they convert even with barclay goodrow being the other linemate.

Tierney was rotated between 3rd and 4th line with questionable linemates like John Scott, Desjardins, Goodrow all year with only 10-12 minutes of icetime. So he only has 4 goals and 11 assists in 37 games.

In the last 12 games though, he has been playing more. Often 14-16 minutes a game, and he has 3 goals and 5 assists in 12 games with more skilled linemates like Nieto,Hertl and Wingels.

Archived