Flyers trying to move VLC?

brelic

LOL!!!!!

I often sit back and wonder what VLC really would have gotten if not for Homer standing at the door screaming "we will give you 4 years and a NMC!  Dont leave!!"

FYI...they gave him 5...not four.   :ph34r:

Feel better???  

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

Yup!  Make it a double!!  That's why I said I trade him for ANYTHING at this point, it's not about ROI, it's about saving 20 million in cap space.

I 100% agree... at this point if anyone would take his contract I would consider it a win

VLC didn't fit in Philly, but no way is he the leper that some people seem to be making him out to be. Even with the contract.

Exactly, doom. It was a bad idea gone worse. Oh well, at least the Flyers won't be making that same mistake until July 1.

:ph34r:

Exactly, doom. It was a bad idea gone worse. Oh well, at least the Flyers won't be making that same mistake until July 1.

I think @doom88 was saying that VLC isn't nearly as toxic in trade talks as people are making him out to be. I.e. It isn't insane to think he would be of some value in a deal. Even with the contract. There will be (are?) interested parties.

Did someone really say he had pieces of his body rotting away and falling off?

I'm pretty sure I would have at least "hid" that.

I think @doom88 was saying that VLC isn't nearly as toxic in trade talks as people are making him out to be. I.e. It isn't insane to think he would be of some value in a deal. Even with the contract. There will be (are?) interested parties.

As I read the thread, no one has said there weren't potentially interested parties. Only that the potential return on the trade would be more addition of cap space by subtraction of his cap hit than the acquisition of new assets in return.

For all of the reasons listed.

I know aziz :) I guess my post was a little scatterbrain! I meant the contract was a bad idea gone worse from Homer, and that he was a bad fit in Philly. My reference to July 1 is that we don't have to worry about the Flyers giving out another stupid contract until then ;) 

Anyway, confusing post all around on my part, haha.

I agree with you and doom. He's not untradeable at all. At some point in the season, he probably was, but right now, there are a lot of teams soul searching, and VLC offers a nice option on the 2nd line. The cap hit is reasonable, and it's not a 35+ contract. 

Really, the only sticking point is his NMC which handcuffs Hextall.

Really, the only sticking point is his NMC which handcuffs Hextall.

And it does. I kinda wonder what situation VLC would be looking for.... Another cup, or another chance to be The Man somewhere. On a cup team, he's a depth forward. Kind of an ignominious end of his career. On an offensively thin team, though, he could slot in as a top line center. The latter is the easier deal for hextall to make, I wonder if it is also the easier for VLC to accept.

And yes, I'm thinking about Nashville.

I still like the return to Tampa idea, too, though.

Yes, one of which are the Nashville Predators, and Philadelphia is insisting on stud defenseman Roman Josi in return.

Thats funny. I would trade him for a bag of pucks. Thus, I can not believe the rumor. In all honesty, VLC really makes sense for Nashville with Lavy as the coach. Its a style he can fit in quite nicely and he helps partially fill a gaping hole they have. 

• Like 1

I don't ever rumor monger, but I refuse to answer any questions about my source. Take all of that as you will.

Is TheMaker your pseudonym and is Ken Hitchcock your source? (sorry, couldn't resist) :-)

I'm not saying he can't be an effective "Saku Koivu" type leadership and faceoffs guys.

VLC is atrocious in the faceoff circle. Leadership, maybe, but hard to be a leader when you coast around half the game. 

I trade him for ANYTHING that gets rid of that contract...ANYTHING.  I'd take a pick, provided the other team takes the whole salary hit.  

Again, it's not the player per se, but the atrocious contract.  Freeing up the $4.5 million for FOUR years, is as--if not more-important than any return they get.  

winner winner, chicken dinner

Irishjim posted this somewhere saturday. Ain't gonna happen for reasons already mentioned. What GM trades their young Dman who is 23 and fresh off a season where he scored 13 goals???

Also, while Poile and Homer were good trade partners, I don't think Nashville is looking to throw a single chicken bone the Flyers way after the Weber offer sheet (which I think is a fine thing to do, but there is not longer going to be much back scratching). 

• Like 1

I wonder if the NMC is such a barrier - I would think a guy would be okay waiving it under the right circumstances. You don't want to insult the guy but there's ways to make it clear to him that after a year "we" see it was probably a mistake signing him, that he'd be much happier somewhere else.

As already pointed out, a lot will depend on how Vin envisions his career now and going forward - what does he expect from himself, from his team?

After being okay with bringing him in I'm with Van (and whoever else) now, just make a deal, any deal that moves him off the team. If we get someone (or something) we can use in return, great. If not it's still addition by subtraction.