Flyers trying to move VLC?

brelic

Also, while Poile and Homer were good trade partners, I don't think Nashville is looking to throw a single chicken bone the Flyers way after the Weber offer sheet (which I think is a fine thing to do, but there is not longer going to be much back scratching). 

There's 2 ways of looking at it, I suppose.  One is that Nashville is going to hold a grudge and refuse to answer a call that shows a Philly area code on the display.  The other way is that offer sheet is going to make it difficult for that market to afford Weber, Josi (4 mil per year) AND resign Del Zotto, Ryan Ellis and Ekholm who are all expired RFA's.  Nashville might not even be able to afford to resign RFA Nick Spaling, which is the likely spot down the middle for Lecavelier. 

I still think Vinnie for Josi is preposterous, but if the Flyers take on a bunch of salary or add a good prospect, it's not that huge a stretch given Nashville's business pressures.

I absolutely refuse to believe Josi for VLC. In fact, I refuse to believe any sane GM would bother with VLC. Like others have mentioned, declining stats for years now, the back problems seem like an annual event, goes missing for weeks at a time....4 years left on his contract....I *just* don't see it.

This will be Hexy's first attempt at cleaning up a Homer mess. I fear he would have to include a very useful Flyer, pick or prospect to get any GM to even listen to this fool's errand. I could see a 2nd or 3rd coming back.....but Roman Josi.....no way. On the bright side, Nashville is in need of a legit 2nd line center.....and they do have a group of RFA d-men, and they can't afford to sign them all. At least one of those kids will be let go due to lack of cap space, or at least the ol' self imposed cap. I could see them moving Ryan Ellis instead of outright losing him to RFA....but they could do *much* better in terms of return. Any way I slice this equals "no go". Why would anyone take on 4 years of a injury prone, lazy, declining stats AND questionable work ethic....it just makes no sense.

This will be Hexy's first attempt at cleaning up a Homer mess.

Hextall better bring a toilet snake and a good plunger b/c that VLC deal is going to be a tough one.   I do not see any GM taking on that contract - none.  We are going to have to part w/ assets to move VLC in all likelihood.  

Why would anyone take on 4 years of a injury prone, lazy, declining stats AND questionable work ethic....it just makes no sense.

Maybe not, but: Scott Gomez, Danny HHeatley, Martin Havlat.

Happens.

Happens.

I guess, you did a nice job of listing some injury prone bums, those GM's forked over real assets to acquire. Just goes to show how desperate some teams are to add offense. It totally flies in the face of logic, but those names are real....lol.

Happens.

And to believe the Habs traded Higgins AND McDonagh for Gomez!!

How awesome would McDonagh look on the Montreal blueline?

They screwed the pooch on that one and let Sather off the hook for a stupid contract.

I guess we're looking for more of the same :) 

Beaulieu for VLC?

Beaulieu for VLC?

Oh God no. I've been totally impressed with Beaulieu in these playoffs. He's young, fast...makes great quick decisions. I see him being a very, very nice top 4 guy. He's only showing the tip of the iceberg. I'm thinking Habs fans (and the Habs themselves) would laugh for hours at this one....ha ha.

After being okay with bringing him in I'm with Van (and whoever else) now, just make a deal, any deal that moves him off the team. If we get someone (or something) we can use in return, great. If not it's still addition by subtraction.

And the thing that we all need to keep in mind is that we signed him as a UFA. So we are not losing any assets by trying to move him. Its okay if the shoe does not fit. I would like to think as you and others have pointed out that he feels the same. Hist contract is signed and is not exorbitant. His career was in Tampa. Nashville is VERY close to there (not sure where he calls home). 

Some have suggested Tampa as a return. While business is business, I doubt he would want to return there (but truthfully, I would if I was him). He can still play second fiddle there. On Nashville, he could play first fiddle. I guess it just depends on ego. 

Oh God no. I've been totally impressed with Beaulieu in these playoffs. He's young, fast...makes great quick decisions. I see him being a very, very nice top 4 guy. He's only showing the tip of the iceberg. I'm thinking Habs fans (and the Habs themselves) would laugh for hours at this one....ha ha.

Haha, I know! I was just kidding. Though anything's possible depending on what package you put together :)

Just goes to show how desperate some teams are to add offense.

yup.  and, some GMs have a tendency to play a happy "what if" game.  "what if" this player was just in a dis-advantageous spot with that old team.  "what if" he thrives in the position i have in mind for him.  "what if" this role is what he needs to return to his former production levels.  with each of the guys i mentioned, they were seriously  high impact players shortly before they seriously weren't.  surely it would just take a spark to get them back to that point.  i mean, that's the logic holmgren used when signing VLC in the first place.  more than one team used that same logic on both heatly and havlat, even after having watched a different GM make the bet and lose.  

@aziz  Unrelated, but your "what if" theory was in full display when the Blues signed Carol Colaiavacio this past summer. Had a major injury every year for the past 7 seasons, but the Blues stubbornly signed him up, thinking "what if" this guy stays healthy?  He played 24 games out of 82 and had 3 pts total. Only signed him to a bit over a mill, but if he is not on the ice, a brutal way to spend cap space.

The other way is that offer sheet is going to make it difficult for that market to afford Weber, Josi (4 mil per year) AND resign Del Zotto, Ryan Ellis and Ekholm who are all expired RFA's.  Nashville might not even be able to afford to resign RFA Nick Spaling, which is the likely spot down the middle for Lecavelier. 

I still think Vinnie for Josi is preposterous, but if the Flyers take on a bunch of salary or add a good prospect, it's not that huge a stretch given Nashville's business pressures.

Interesting and fair points across the board. I was being a bit tongue in cheek on the trade thing. Business is business and truthfully it irks me that doing an offer sheet is such taboo. Had nashville not matched the Flyers offer (havent looked at the compensation in a while), it would have been a boat load of picks going back to nashville (based on the salary). Something like 4 number ones a number 2 and a third sprinkled in there somewhere. 

Point being, you really can't have sour grapes for operating within the rules. Its not like the Flyers were trying to poach Weber for nothing. It would have come at a significant cost on the Flyers future. 

On the bright side, Nashville is in need of a legit 2nd line center....

truthfully, I would do the trade based on a future conditional pick (You know those secret picks that just says- "we have to show we got something in return, but don't care what it is"?). 

And to believe the Habs traded Higgins AND McDonagh for Gomez!!

That trade was mind boggling all the way through (and to all your points). For no other reason, the contract. 

That said, WTF happened to Gomez. I really liked him with the Devils. He was ho-hum on the rangers and then a disaster in montreal. How does a skilled player just crash away like that?? 

Interesting and fair points across the board. I was being a bit tongue in cheek on the trade thing. Business is business and truthfully it irks me that doing an offer sheet is such taboo. Had nashville not matched the Flyers offer (havent looked at the compensation in a while), it would have been a boat load of picks going back to nashville (based on the salary). Something like 4 number ones a number 2 and a third sprinkled in there somewhere. 

Point being, you really can't have sour grapes for operating within the rules. Its not like the Flyers were trying to poach Weber for nothing. It would have come at a significant cost on the Flyers future. 

Cue the very lame "unwritten rule" post by somebody....ha ha.

Cue the very lame "unwritten rule" post by somebody....ha ha.

Wonder if Nashville would be interested in obtaining Gus rights in a trade with Vinny (with something else of course) just for rights to Micheal Del Zotto's.

Ekholm and Gus have played well so far at the WC. Preds only have 4 Dmen signed. They have 3 RFAs on the blueline that need to be signed any ways just thinking out loud about how they could move VLC. Of course "the something else" could always make or break this idea.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Wonder if Nashville would be interested in obtaining Gus rights in a trade with Vinny (with something else of course) just for rights to Micheal Del Zotto's.

Not sure how Nash would agree to that honestly... trade for a player that will not be in the system for next year. 

Not sure how Nash would agree to that honestly... trade for a player that will not be in the system for next year. 

They can still sign Gus he has an out clause and it's only for one year.

Also Lavy and what he thought of him carries the most weight.

But they have to want him to and well i can't imagine his value is real high it was just a brainstorming idea....day dreaming aloud!!!  ;)

They can still sign Gus he has an out clause and it's only for one year.

was not aware there was an out clause!

I jsut really dont understand why Nash would really want to take on VLC's contract.   That is my biggest mental block here b/c I think Teams would want to have VLC - but not at the absurdity of Homer's fine negotiating skills.

he has an out clause

Where did you see/read this?  I didn't see it in any articles I read.

If he has one, that's pretty darn interesting given all the noise about the KHL/NHL transfer agreements the last several years.

was not aware there was an out clause!

I jsut really dont understand why Nash would really want to take on VLC's contract.   That is my biggest mental block here b/c I think Teams would want to have VLC - but not at the absurdity of Homer's fine negotiating skills.

He'd automatically become your best forward?

I jsut really dont understand why Nash would really want to take on VLC's contract.  

Well for one their 2nd line center Mike Fisher who is no young pup either will be 34 next year only score 20 goals in 75 games isn't a whole lot better. That and they always have trouble finding forwards.

Oh and their other center Matt Cullen will be 38 next year to.

Plus Vinny signed in Philly to play with Lavy so i hope he still wants him and Lavy too.

Where did you see/read this?  I didn't see it in any articles I read.

If he has one, that's pretty darn interesting given all the noise about the KHL/NHL transfer agreements the last several years.

It was in a article i read i think on hockeybuzz they even stated that a lot of the guys who sign early usually have out contacts so if they get an offer in the NHL they like better they can take it.

It's not unheard of.

Kovalchuk is suppose to have an out clause.

Edited by OccamsRazor