Flyers trying to move VLC?

brelic

There's 2 ways of looking at it, I suppose. One is that Nashville is going to hold a grudge and refuse to answer a call that shows a Philly area code on the display. The other way is that offer sheet is going to make it difficult for that market to afford Weber, Josi (4 mil per year) AND resign Del Zotto, Ryan Ellis and Ekholm who are all expired RFA's. Nashville might not even be able to afford to resign RFA Nick Spaling, which is the likely spot down the middle for Lecavelier.

I still think Vinnie for Josi is preposterous, but if the Flyers take on a bunch of salary or add a good prospect, it's not that huge a stretch given Nashville's business pressures.

You just have a good reason why they WON'T want VLC. They're already watching the cap trying to get the best value. Would you rather pay that money for Josi or a 37 point lazy old man who was -16? No way they make that trade, and they're not going to be doing Philly any favors.

I jsut really dont understand why Nash would really want to take on VLC's contract.  

Truthfully, its not that bad for them. They only have 48M on the books for next year and that is with 80% of the team under contract. The following year its 35M with 66% under contract. VLC's contract would not be a blow to them in a cap sense. I don't know fiscally what their black / red status is currently, but at the end of the day, they need to fill out their roster. They need a center and they desperately need offense. I think in Lavy's run and gun system, VLC could do better than he did with the Flyers (particularly if healthy). Is the contract 500K a year too much and 1 year too long, perhaps, but that is a bullet that Nashville could bite. 

I absolutely refuse to believe Josi for VLC. In fact, I refuse to believe any sane GM would bother with VLC. Like others have mentioned, declining stats for years now, the back problems seem like an annual event, goes missing for weeks at a time....4 years left on his contract....I *just* don't see it.

This will be Hexy's first attempt at cleaning up a Homer mess. I fear he would have to include a very useful Flyer, pick or prospect to get any GM to even listen to this fool's errand. I could see a 2nd or 3rd coming back.....but Roman Josi.....no way. On the bright side, Nashville is in need of a legit 2nd line center.....and they do have a group of RFA d-men, and they can't afford to sign them all. At least one of those kids will be let go due to lack of cap space, or at least the ol' self imposed cap. I could see them moving Ryan Ellis instead of outright losing him to RFA....but they could do *much* better in terms of return. Any way I slice this equals "no go". Why would anyone take on 4 years of a injury prone, lazy, declining stats AND questionable work ethic....it just makes no sense.

Would you move Schenn for one of their dmen? Lavy already knows how to not use him.

Truthfully, its not that bad for them. They only have 48M on the books for next year and that is with 80% of the team under contract. The following year its 35M with 66% under contract. VLC's contract would not be a blow to them in a cap sense. I don't know fiscally what their black / red status is currently, but at the end of the day, they need to fill out their roster. They need a center and they desperately need offense. I think in Lavy's run and gun system, VLC could do better than he did with the Flyers (particularly if healthy). Is the contract 500K a year too much and 1 year too long, perhaps, but that is a bullet that Nashville could bite.

They'd have to be morons to trade a 23 year old quality defenseman for VLC and his ridiculous contract though. You're going to have to give a lot more for that.

They'd have to be morons to trade a 23 year old quality defenseman for VLC and his ridiculous contract though. You're going to have to give a lot more for that.

I'm inclined to agree with you. But this is also the organization that took Forsberg off of our hands at a point in his career where he was actually worse than VLC sucks (it was just the next word on my phone).

Also, they just traded Barry Trotz for Lavy so...

It was in a article i read i think on hockeybuzz they even stated that a lot of the guys who sign early usually have out contacts so if they get an offer in the NHL they like better they can take it.

wow if that's true - if Gus has one - that's pretty remarkable. I can see a big-name guy like Kovy demanding one but a kid (basically) who's never held a roster spot in the NHL? Say you're running his Swedish team. Why on Earth would you agree to that? I can't see any KHL GM saying to Gus "sure, no problem son, if an NHL team wants you in the middle of our season, go ahead, split, grab the next flight no problem." 

just so I'm clear OR - i'm not arguing with you I'm just wondering how this "out clause" works - and if guys like Gus could ever get one.

wow if that's true - if Gus has one - that's pretty remarkable. I can see a big-name guy like Kovy demanding one but a kid (basically) who's never held a roster spot in the NHL? Say you're running his Swedish team. Why on Earth would you agree to that? I can't see any KHL GM saying to Gus "sure, no problem son, if an NHL team wants you in the middle of our season, go ahead, split, grab the next flight no problem." 

just so I'm clear OR - i'm not arguing with you I'm just wondering how this "out clause" works - and if guys like Gus could ever get one.

Yeah but you have to look at it the other way too it's just a one year deal and it's not like he is a Kovy like you said so why would they mind so much he is almost a dime a dozen depth guy to and he hasn't even made the team so that sin't even guaranteed. KHL does some crazy wheeling and dealing them selves. I can't find where i read it to post it. So even the legitimacy of it i'm not even sure of.

Funny how much concern on such a mediocre player has stir up here none like i've ever seen. If i find it i'll post it. But i've had no such luck. So i'd even dismiss it like him even...he more than likely is gone.

Also i'm not sure how it really works their season start at different times and maybe there is a deadline when you can opt out i'm afraid i'm not verse enough to answer that honestly without guessing.

Edited by OccamsRazor

They're already watching the cap trying to get the best value.

we still talking about nashville?  the team that is $3.5mil from the cap FLOOR?  and they are watching the cap carefully?

nashville couldn't care less about the cap.  they care about real dollars, yes, but cap hits are the least of their concerns.

we still talking about nashville? the team that is $3.5mil from the cap FLOOR? and they are watching the cap carefully?

nashville couldn't care less about the cap. they care about real dollars, yes, but cap hits are the least of their concerns.

They're watching because they have a group of young defensemen to sign and Weber's contract already. If they're strapped for cash they're watching closely too, so they get the best bang for their buck. Either way, they're not taking Lecavalier for Josi.

Kovalchuk is suppose to have an out clause.

Kovalchuk is under contract to the Devils for the duration of his contract.

He may have an "out" clause in the KHL, but as it stands the only place the NHL will let him go is the Devils.

I do think Nashville would take VLC happily. I just don't think they give much up for him. And there remains the question of VLC approving the deal (although Lavy's run and gun may attract).

The Flyers got a 4th and Matt Walker for Simon Gagne - who was one year removed from a 34/74 season (the year after returning from concussion). Lecavalier hit 29 six seasons ago and is four years older than Gagne at the time...

I'll be happily surprised if they get more for VLC - and somewhat stunned if they even get that.

I do think Nashville would take VLC happily. I just don't think they give much up for him. And there remains the question of VLC approving the deal (although Lavy's run and gun may attract).

We don't need anything back for him (thus why I say "future considerations"). We signed him as a UFA, so we have not lost any assets. I have the engine running and will drive him there now.  :blink:

• Like 1

Kovalchuk is under contract to the Devils for the duration of his contract.

He may have an "out" clause in the KHL, but as it stands the only place the NHL will let him go is the Devils.

Well maybe he is going over so he can do this to his coach!!!!

giphy.gif?t=1

the deal (although Lavy's run and gun may attract).

@ruxpin brought up a good point regarding VLC and speed of western conference play. I always thought in my mind that VLC had speed. Not first step speed but still speed because of his height / gate. Because he was mostly invisible to me in the games I was able to catch, I never noticed that he is not fleet of foot as Ruxpin alludes to. 

That said, VLC just needs to do pirouettes at center ice and then go into the offensive zone in lavy's system.

@ruxpin brought up a good point regarding VLC and speed of western conference play. I always thought in my mind that VLC had speed. Not first step speed but still speed because of his height / gate. Because he was mostly invisible to me in the games I was able to catch, I never noticed that he is not fleet of foot as Ruxpin alludes to. 

That said, VLC just needs to do pirouettes at center ice and then go into the offensive zone in lavy's system.

Oh, I'm not saying he fits the system, just that it might be attractive to him to go with the coach he thought he was going to play for here since he has veto power over any trade to anyone for the duration of his contract.

Once he's out of Philadelphia, I really don't give the hind quarters of a rodent what happens to him.

If the Flyers retain, say, $1.25M a year in salary, his cap hit becomes very attractive at $3M for a team needing an offensive pop.

That presents a more likely scenario. A salary retention would definitely help.

yeah sure why not add another guy to the list of guys we're paying not to play. Except this one would count against the almight CAP. But I still think it's well worth doing - eat $1.25mil for 4 years but open up the roster spot, free up a healthy amount of cap space.

hope Hextall finds a taker!

Greetings;

Here is the Capgeek post that shows who has what heading into next year.

http://www.capgeek.com/

Take a gander at the bottom five with the most money left over.  Factor in who might night need a "character" player.  

My backyard Panthers are in the hunt. Edomonton, Calgary, and Buffalo...well, who knows.  I do not know the rules on trades in which we eat cap...could we eat half his salary?

Best,

Howie

Greetings;

Here is the Capgeek post that shows who has what heading into next year.

http://www.capgeek.com/

Take a gander at the bottom five with the most money left over.  Factor in who might night need a "character" player.  

My backyard Panthers are in the hunt. Edomonton, Calgary, and Buffalo...well, who knows.  I do not know the rules on trades in which we eat cap...could we eat half his salary?

Best,

Howie

Howie, yes, we could eat half his salary. What I wonder, is if we could go to a cap floor team and offer to eat half the salary, but they keep the whole cap hit - THAT would be the best possible scenario. I've seen conflicting reports on whether that's permissible and I don't have the time to go through the actual CBA to get the answer. As FC says, getting him to accept the move is the hardest part. Trading the contract is far from impossible.