Flyers trying to move VLC?

brelic

FC:

I hope all is well. Good to hear from you.

You raise a great question.  I might not want to go to one of these teams.  But...he might be facing a tough question. Does he stay here and get kicked around in the line-up and questioned by the media?  Or does he go to a place and say, "I have a chance of ending my career on a team where I build a new foundation and have some fun along the way?"  He might choose the latter.  Maybe I am an idealist...or just stupid...

Peace,

Howie

Howie, yes, we could eat half his salary. What I wonder, is if we could go to a cap floor team and offer to eat half the salary, but they keep the whole cap hit - THAT would be the best possible scenario. I've seen conflicting reports on whether that's permissible and I don't have the time to go through the actual CBA to get the answer. As FC says, getting him to accept the move is the hardest part. Trading the contract is far from impossible.

AJ:  Thanks for the clarification.  Per the response to FC, I wonder if he is sold on a new start and a pleasant end to a HOF career. i suspect that here he faces continued line shuffling and media derision/disgust, along with boos from the fans. Boy, I don't know the cap space rule either but you raise a great Q.  My other point is self-criticism...the bottom feeders may have the most space but they may not approach he cap either. I have to do some work to see what the minimum is for the next year. I can say the new Panthers owner is no cheapskate. Viola is a billionaire and will spend more than his predecessors. 

Peace,

Howie

FC:

Work keeps me off the street but like Timex, I take a licking and keep on ticking. 

The guy is a class act and his work in TB with charities paints a good picture. At 56 I begin to think about my own legacy.  This guy may not want to go out in a place where he is mauled by fans and media.  Agreed, I might not want the Tundra. But in the bottom feeders there may be few expectations.  He will have little slack in Philly or other first-tier franchise. He also knows that Berube has no problem demoting him if warranted.  That has to be on his mind.

Peace and defend "The True North Strong and Free."

Howie, yes, we could eat half his salary. What I wonder, is if we could go to a cap floor team and offer to eat half the salary, but they keep the whole cap hit - THAT would be the best possible scenario. I've seen conflicting reports on whether that's permissible and I don't have the time to go through the actual CBA to get the answer. As FC says, getting him to accept the move is the hardest part. Trading the contract is far from impossible.

If you retain salary, you retain the same percentage of the cap hit.

FC:

Work keeps me off the street but like Timex, I take a licking and keep on ticking. 

The guy is a class act and his work in TB with charities paints a good picture. At 56 I begin to think about my own legacy.  This guy may not want to go out in a place where he is mauled by fans and media.  Agreed, I might not want the Tundra. But in the bottom feeders there may be few expectations.  He will have little slack in Philly or other first-tier franchise. He also knows that Berube has no problem demoting him if warranted.  That has to be on his mind.

Peace and defend "The True North Strong and Free."

If he doesn't want people to know him he'd better stay out of Canadian franchises. Hockey is religion here, a guy as big as Lecavalier has been is already well known in Edmonton or Calgary.

Would you move Schenn for one of their dmen? Lavy already knows how to not use him.

I'd rather look at internal options than move Brayden. He's young kid who scored 20 goals, and we really don't know what his ceiling is....I hate giving away guys like that. We move him, he finally figures it out and we watch him score 35 goals a year for the next 7 years.....I'd rather avoid that if at all possible. I'd dig deeper, see if there are some bargains in the RFA or UFA piles.

@OccamsRazor  Despite Danny boys annual playoff surge, he's still on Montreal's 4th line. He will be useless in the regular season next year. I don't want him back, unless he is only signed for one year and we can get rid of Vinny's contract....than I'd do it.

Despite Danny boys annual playoff surge, he's still on Montreal's 4th line. He will be useless in the regular season next year. I don't want him back, unless he is only signed for one year and we can get rid of Vinny's contract....than I'd do it.

Yeah but he is takes it up anotch in the playoffs and is only under contract for 4 mill next year.....VLC is under contract for 4 more years at 4.5!!!

Think of of it like the Talbot Downie trade yes we didn't need Downie but they got out form under that contract a win win in my eyes....neither play defense i just think Danny brings more to the table and he would be better at wing if need be...not a lot but to get that albatross from around the Flyer's neck i'd do it in a heart beat.

Edit: Also at worse you could trade Danny gain at the deadline if need be.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@OccamsRazor  It's a valid point, Danny has only one year left on his deal that pays him 4 mill a year. I just think Montreal's GM is smarter than that. Plus, Montreal is fine at center, lots of quality guys down the middle for them. A few years ago, VLC in Montreal would have been a match made in heaven, now....not so much.

@OccamsRazor  It's a valid point, Danny has only one year left on his deal that pays him 4 mill a year. I just think Montreal's GM is smarter than that. Plus, Montreal is fine at center, lots of quality guys down the middle for them. A few years ago, VLC in Montreal would have been a match made in heaven, now....not so much.

Yeah i never said that would go for just that i would. But after this year he'd be gone and that would be better than 2.5mill of dead cap space to buy Vinny out. Other wise it's 4 more year of Vinny. Yeah i don't think Vinny would waive his NMC for Montreal though just a pipe dream.

So is Vinny...........i'd rather watch Danny bad a t wing for just one year than Vinny bad at wing for 4 more years. Danny can still skate too.

What good is skating if he won't do it? I want neither of them next season.

And yes, I get the contract angle. That's why I was all for that controversial (to say the least) Talbot for Downie deal.

:) I would find it hard to believe that any serious NHL conversation between two high level executives would include a Flyers rep INSISTING from a position of weakness that Josi be in a deal to help us clean up our mess. You remember the telephone game? I'm sure that any 'rumour' gets so distorted by the time it reaches us, or they are leaked that way on purpose.

But VLC in Nashville does make some sense. It does in St. Louis too. You can forget about Shattenkirk or Weber, but for lesser assets? Sure, why not? VLC did not fit in here, but it doesn't mean he won't fit in and contribute elsewhere.

PLEASE make it happen Hexy!

Well, if a trade with Nashville goes down, I'd like to see a guy like Ryan Ellis or the rights to Michael Del Zotto come back in return for Vinny. Yes, I'm quite aware of the defensive issues both possess, but at the same time, there's a high level of skill from both guys that if they're partnered with a good defender and if given the opportunity to work with John Paddock (who has been quite adept at developing defensemen throughout his coaching career), either guy can probably get back on track. What I like about Ellis or Del Zotto, besides their untapped offensive games, is that both guys are very smart hockey wise players who just aren't grasping the defensive side of the game (although Ellis did start to show something in the 2nd half of last season). So yeah, put either of them on a pairing with Luke Schenn (who looks like an all world defender when partnered with more mobile defenders who are more adept at puck carrying and offensive play) and you've got something.

As for St.Louis, I think the only player you're getting in return for Vinny is a guy like Ian Cole or Jordan Leopold. I can't see the Blues giving up much more than that.