An outside view on the Flyers' deals

brelic

I was reading an article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch about Ryan Miller when I came across this little gem:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordon-blues-parting-ways-wisely-with-miller/article_ab49801c-5d59-5a11-b0db-8d1ac00bc0f6.html

Miller will depart to the highest bidder as an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps he will find a team willing to pay him $5 million or $6 million per year on a long-term deal. (The Pittsburgh Penguins come quickly to mind.)

Armstrong gave Miller is chance to justify a big contract here and Ryan failed to merit such a commitment.

Throwing big money at Miller to justify the trade would have been a stupid gamble. This low-revenue franchise must get real value for every payroll dollar spent.

It can't double down on a bad investment. The New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers have done that for years, but this market can't bear such misadventure.

It's nothing shocking to us Flyers fans who've been saying this for years, but it's nice to see external validation :) Honestly, the Flyers and Rangers can spend their way out of trouble. There's nothing wrong with that when you make an honest mistake or a calculated gamble - but the Flyers seem to do it almost on principle. 

I think we all know the Flyers would have backed up the truck for Miller if they had made that kind of deal to acquire him in the first place. 

@brelic  Agreed Bre, very smart of the Blues to recognize their mistake and call it a day....and yeah, Ed would have been in hook....line and sinker.

Yeah and speaking of the deals and looking back i asked this question of the Blues the other day: 

Wonder what would have happened if the Blues would have just kept some of their 1st rounders and Lars Eller, Carl Soderberg and Erik Johnson?

It's nothing shocking to us Flyers fans who've been saying this for years, but it's nice to see external validation

This sounds like the haves and haves not. St Louis is the 17th largest populated metropolitan region in the US. Since the Rangers were mentioned, The Rangers sold 400 more tickets this past season than the Blues. 

Yet the valuation of the Blues (based on Forbes) sits nearly dead last in the NHL (29th). 

That is all about executive management away from the product on the ice (corporate boxes, ad revenue, subsidiary revenue > parking, concessions etc.).

I did not look at the debt for the blues, but they certainly have the population to sustain quite nicely (market / tv revenue along with attendance).