Everyone was laughing but... O.M.G!

You know, we all give Pierre McGuire all sorts of grief for all sorts of things (most of which is well earned), but honestly, one would think that if the Pens FO even CONSIDERED him for the job, they have to believe he really does know more about hockey than his goofy on-air persona would lead you to believe.

Now.....THAT all said.....

If Regis becoming GM of the Pens ever does come to pass and the Pens fall short of at LEAST an ECF appearance (hmm..win?), Pens fans may never hear the end of it from other fan bases....particularly on THIS site where Regis is so highly regarded... ^_^ .

And don't EVEN get me started on what the backlash would be should the Pens (gasp!) MISS the playoffs with ol Captain Obvious running the show from the GM's box....yikes!

Looking at it from that context, bringing in Pierre to be the Pens GM may rank right up there with other such outstanding ideas that worked out so well, such as former Bolts clown co-owners Len Barrie and Oren Koules bringing in Barry Melrose to coach the Lightning because "he knew how to motivate and make winners out of players"  :wacko:

Oh, and Mr. Melrose was fired not too far into the season.................

Hey, I am no Pens fan by any stretch, but I would feel for the fanbase should Regis be the face of the FO.

Any and ALL failures, no matter how small, would be magnified to the Nth degree by fans and the media.

Don't think it will happen(he was a great friend to Ray Shero), and don't want it to happen.    No experience in the front office, and questionable credentials in his coaching career.   Please Please Please Mario, don't do it.

@Polaris922  The good....

Pierre takes a lot of heat for many things, but I honestly think his knowledge of current and up and coming players is unchallenged. The guy is a walking encyclopedia for all things hockey, he would have an immediate advantage assessing players values.

The bad....

If this happens, you Pens fans will feel the wrath of humiliation x 100 from every breathing Flyer fan...so there is that...LMAO

@Polaris922  The good....

Pierre takes a lot of heat for many things, but I honestly think his knowledge of current and up and coming players is unchallenged. The guy is a walking encyclopedia for all things hockey, he would have an immediate advantage assessing players values.

The bad....

If this happens, you Pens fans will feel the wrath of humiliation x 100 from every breathing Flyer fan...so there is that...LMAO

Dude, infinity x infinity is still infinity.  So you're basically saying no change.

Dude, infinity x infinity is still infinity.  So you're basically saying no change.

No way, hiring Pierre as GM is infinity with the biggest ever black hole inserted just for fun....oh geez, just the thought of it has me all giddy!!!!   L-M-A-O!!!

Shoot me now.

In all seriousness - I would not bring him in as a GM.  But - with his knowledge?  I can find a spot for him in player development/scouting.

Anyone see the Brisson rumors?  Took himself out of the running for GM but the Pens may be pushing to land him in some management capacity.

No experience in the front office, and questionable credentials in his coaching career.   Please Please Please Mario, don't do it.

All joking aside, this is 100% accurate. You could do much better than him (ie. guy with experience / track record). TFF is right that we poke fun at him incessantly here (shooting fish in a barrel), but he does have hockey knowledge. But he does not have the items you just cited. How the pens could let an experienced stanley cup winning GM go (shero) and replace with a novice in the skill set needed for a GM would be a mammoth slap in the face to Shero (regardless if they are best buddies). 

• Like 1

Bylsam: "I need to speak with Regis, where's the GMs office, did they move it?"

Mario "It's in Sids shower stall".

LOL!

I love the way everyone on this forum is refering to him strictly as Regis now :)