Everyone was laughing but... O.M.G!

If he was with Holmgren then at least we know he knows what NOT to do. The more I see if this though the more I like the idea. We already have a numbers/cap guy in Botterill to handle the figures. We need someone who knows talent, prospects, player personalities, where they fit into chemistry. Who the hell knows that more than Regis?? Nobody.

As much as this drive me crazy at the start... I think if the Pens try this I'll be in favor of it. I mean this guy isn't a crack the whip type, but that's not the GM's job anyway. Hell he knows what kind of peanut butter Radim Vrbata's cousin Gerty uses on her thighs to lure her dog on slow weekends... The guy knows more than anyone I've ever heard about every player in the system. Why not??

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Another-Step-Closer-To-Pierre-McGuire-NHL-General-Manager/177/60343

....for no other purpose than I wouldn't have to see that walking penis on TV anymore. And he would implode the Penguins...

God, I hope this Happens!

Edited by hf101
topic merged
  • Like 1

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Another-Step-Closer-To-Pierre-McGuire-NHL-General-Manager/177/60343

....for no other purpose than I wouldn't have to see that walking penis on TV anymore. And he would implode the Penguins...

God, I hope this Happens!

And this is based upon what super secret knowledge? I see a lot if people saying its laughable... But the more I think about it... Can anyone really say why?

And this is based upon what super secret knowledge? I see a lot if people saying its laughable... But the more I think about it... Can anyone really say why?

Well, for starters, when is the last time you recall a tv announcer jumping right into a management GM role with absolutely no NHL experience? I've only seen that happen once, and it was football, not hockey. That was Matt Millen.....and I think we all know how that worked out with the Detroit Lions, he destroyed that franchise, and watched over a team that broke the all time losing record, going 0-16.

Don't you think it's odd that a team in "win now" mode (they will always be with Crosby and Malkin on the roster, let's be honest) would hire an announcer with no experience at all??  I commend them for thinking outside the box, but this seems like a job for a legit candidate, this is truly a risky venture that could backfire and set the team back years and years. They would be better off sending a 1st round pick to the Panthers for Dale Tallon, somebody who is proven, somebody who has constructed a Stanley Cup winning roster. That is what the Pens need, not a walking talking penis of a man.

• Like 1

@jammer2

McGuire has been a scout, coach and assistant gm before. It's not like he has no experience. I'm just laughing cause he's such a weirdo and his crush on Crosby.

Oh geez, thanks for the correction, I had *no* idea he was in management before, never even heard of the asst. GM gig....what team was that for?

people can laugh at this , but he's seen a lot of Penguins hockey games while doing his job, i am sure he has some ideas and players in mind that would make them difficult to beat. He has seen what hasn't worked.  Now whether or not his ideas are "good ideas" is a debate for another time but , dollars to donuts he went into that meeting and had a good many things to say about how to improve that team, and i'll bet you more than 1 or 2 made sense.  

the ability to run a professional sports franchise is a whole different animal, the Pgh brain trust may have just wanted to pick his brain.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

@mojo1917

Aside from the experience correction, the Pens have a numbers guy in Botterill. They need to guy who knows players and chemistry. That is why this is okay with me more and more. Who knows the players better than goofy Regis?

I'm not saying its a given to be successful. And yes the guy looks silly. But he knows an awful lot about players and their personalities. If you have a numbers guy, what else do you need??

@Polaris922

There are worse guys you could hire to be gm of the Pens...plenty worse. I think he'd be pretty good actually.

But there aren't many that we can laugh at more. :)

That's the thing... I know he looks funny, but I'm seriously trying to weigh what he actually knows. And the guy knows players. The more time passes thinking about it, the more I lean towards actually being in favor of this. That kinda scares me...

Yes, he was both assistant coach and assistant GM in Hartford under Holmgren. Holmgren stepped down as head coach and elevated McGuire to the position. 

It does make some sense from the Pens perspective. McGuire won a cup as one of Scotty Bowman's assistant coaches in 1992.

However, he was also fined for providing confidential information from Hartford to Edmonton, assumedly after he was fired by Holmgren in 94.

However, he was also fined for providing confidential information from Hartford to Edmonton, assumedly after he was fired by Holmgren in 94.

Imagine that, Regis has loose lips. Let the snide remarks begin! 

Seriously, the NHL has confidentiality agreements? Go figure. What possibly could Regis have revealed? 

Edited by Vanflyer

NBC used their B crew for Game 7 of the Kings/Hawks because Regis,Edzo and Doc were all in Pittsburgh looking for a house to share. Apparently Crosby wants Regis to move into "his basement", but Regis declined :ph34r: