Carter!

King Knut

That's an exclamation point for each goal tonight.

And no I don't want to undo the trade shut up. Just wanted to celebrate the guy's success.

Maybe if he scored like that in game 6 in 2010 Stanley Cup finals Flyers fans would be talking about the Flyers winning the cup 4 years ago instead of 39 years ago.

• Like 2

Just wanted to celebrate the guy's success.

I have been very impressed with his play this playoff. He always has been a perimeter player, but is now going to the dirty areas on the ice. Suter is a tough coach and appears to whipped him into shape (figuratively speaking).

No regrets here either. We got Coutiere and Voracek for him.  

Yeah I know but as I usually point out... He was skating in two broken feet at the time.

He gets some sympathy from me for it though.

Maybe if he scored like that in game 6 in 2010 Stanley Cup finals Flyers fans would be talking about the Flyers winning the cup 4 years ago instead of 39 years ago.

My hate for Carter when he was in Philly is well known.  His floating, his lazy attitude, his play when I feel like it mentality, etc...

All that being said, he is arguably the best forward in LA these days.  He plays his butt off, works hard, and is on the ice in key situations.  Like @Vanflyer said, Sutter has gotten through to him, Carter has matured, and is a heck of a hockey player right now.

And like @murraycraven said...F Carter.   :D

You ever skated on one broken foot or bad ankle?

Baseball players have trouble hitting on a bad foot.

Trust me.  I still hate him for putting into Niemi's pads, but that hate is tempered by the knowledge that he was gutting it out just being on the ice.

What has a broken foota have to do with whoompy inaccurate hands????????????????????????

• Like 1

I hope so.  I'm totally rooting for them now.

Unless the Habs can mount some kind of comeback (which doesn't look good as they're just getting owned) I'm all in with Richie, Carts, Willy and Quick.  I like that LA team. 

I really want to see them succeed.

I never had any problem with Richards or Carter and I always thought the fans here and the press were unfair to them. That said,  I was only upset about them going because a goalie wasn't involved in either trade (I wanted Quick something fierce and at the time he was still making 3 million or so for two more years). 

I think we all get mad at guys who blow good chances and I'll rag on them for those blown chances with all of us, but to absolutely hate a guy who gives you 35-45 goals a year and claim that he's lazy and a bad player who doesn't try... while he's giving you 35-45 goals a year?   That's just crazy.

We may see this again.......guys have barf bags on hand please........

kings4.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest, the miracle leighton pulled off in the 2010 playoffs I don't think they fully deserved or were ready to be playing against the hawks that year and as it turned out when the second line stopped scoring and the first couldn't start and leighton started coming back down to earth the team was exposed.

My hate for Carter when he was in Philly is well known.  His floating, his lazy attitude, his play when I feel like it mentality, etc...

All that being said, he is arguably the best forward in LA these days.  He plays his butt off, works hard, and is on the ice in key situations.  Like @Vanflyer said, Sutter has gotten through to him, Carter has matured, and is a heck of a hockey player right now.

And like @murraycraven said...F Carter.   :D

I just don't think that Carter was in an environment to thrive (outside of Richards). Similar to players like Bryz and Bob, they needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves. I feel players like Leino and Lupol would have been a better duo to keep(albeit one of them disappeared since he left). Williams would have been one worth keeping as well.

kings4.jpg

I don't think I'd need a barf bag, the guy needed a new scene and with his depature you got to see Giroux rise to prominence. Even if our new young captain sometimes doesn't lead from the front.

I can handle that, I just don't want to see another picture of carter and richards holding hands walking down the beach with the cup again. That will make me barf. 

Similar to players like Bryz and Bob, they needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves.

I completely disagree with the Bobs comment. He needed to go NOWHERE. It was only because of Bryz he was sent away (so whomever in management could save egg on their face). Bobs was loved by his teammates and coaching and often praised. Its also known that Bryz and Bobs did not get along. Imagine that, the enormously hard working, friendly down to earth goalie not getting along with the eccentric  space cadet. Sadly, the Flyers banked their future on the eccentric space cadet and needed to save face. By by Bobs. 

Crater. Right, as if he's a totally worthless player. I swear I never understood the amount of hatred this guy generated. I got as frustrated as the next guy watching him fly down the wing and rifle off shot after shot high n wide. And a big, strong kid who flat out tells you "I don't hit" probably won't have many fans in Philly. But it was like people were blind to anything good he did.

"He never scores big goals." "He pads his stats against weak teams." "Softest 40-goal scorer ever."

On and on. He's got to be one of the most underappreciated Flyers of all time. I think too many Flyers' fans expected him to be Milan Lucic, Pavel Datsyuk and Joe Sakic all rolled into one.

well it all worked out for the best - eventually. As long as Voracek and Couturier keep getting better, which I'm sure they will, the Flyers will win a Cup with those two. Meanwhile Carter has 1 already and is close to another. I'm happy for him.

Crater. Right, as if he's a totally worthless player. I swear I never understood the amount of hatred this guy generated. I got as frustrated as the next guy watching him fly down the wing and rifle off shot after shot high n wide. And a big, strong kid who flat out tells you "I don't hit" probably won't have many fans in Philly. But it was like people were blind to anything good he did.

I don't blame the response if you weren't "in" on the the inside joke.  But it was an accidental typo on a previous board that kind of took on a life of its own as a running joke.  That's all that was reference to. 

However, your overall point remains quite true.

That said, he did float for large periods of time, would not battle for pucks, and had a one-trick pony style of play (which was actually surprisingly effective given that he scored 40 goals).  The clincher, though, canoli (and I mean this somewhat as a criticism of fans) is that ALL of that could be the opposite (not float, battle like hell, etc) but some would still hate him based on the missed shot in the finals in 2010.

I just don't think that Carter was in an environment to thrive (outside of Richards). Similar to players like Bryz and Bob, they needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves. I feel players like Leino and Lupol would have been a better duo to keep(albeit one of them disappeared since he left). Williams would have been one worth keeping as well.

Why is it so many have needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves?  Why not make that name with the Flyers?

I don't think Bryz is in that category though, his best days were with Phoenix.  Holmgren made the right decision on Leino, no need whatsoever  to pay him what he makes in Buffalo.  And Lupol was traded like Upshall to wake up Richards and Carter from their partying ways.

Why is it so many have needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves?  Why not make that name with the Flyers?

I don't think Bryz is in that category though, his best days were with Phoenix.  Holmgren made the right decision on Leino, no need whatsoever  to pay him what he makes in Buffalo.  And Lupol was traded like Upshall to wake up Richards and Carter from their partying ways.

The environment doesn't seem to cater to them. How is it simply a coincidence that the moment they leave all their stats take considerable jumps? The problem isn't the players its clearly the system being fostered in Philly they don't mesh with. All this praise Bobs gets and I still don't think he'd have played as well in a philly uniform as he suddenly started playing in a Columbus one, even if he got the playing time he deserved.

it was an accidental typo on a previous board that kind of took on a life of its own as a running joke. That's all that was reference to.

Yeah I remember - but I never knew who started it. Anyway I didn't mean to make opera out of it - lol.

Of course I get the dislike for Carter. But that open net in the Final is pretty far down on the list when I think of Carter's time with the Flyers. Just another one of a million coulda, woulda shoulda plays in hockey.

Why is it so many have needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves? Why not make that name with the Flyers?

That's a great question - and a gigantic one too. Lord knows I don't have the answers but I suspect there's a lot of different ones - every situation was different: sometimes a different era, different players, coaches, management etc.

I don't know if the Flyers are more shortsighted with their players than most teams. I know that's been the accepted version of why they haven't won a Cup in 40 years. Certainly there've been cases where we jettisoned guys too soon, for one reason or another.

The biggest one in recent years for me is Bobrovsky. I guess I'll never quite "get over" that blunder: Lavy playing him to death, ruining his waiver eligibility in the process and then bringing in Bryzgalov the cosmonaut nut-case who sucked at his job. If there was ever a time to suck it up and deal with a developing player's inconsistency Bob was the one, especially given the Flyers' decades-long weakness in goal.

But....water under the bridge. Let's hope Hextall has more sense and more patience. Brayden Schenn will be a good test for Hextall. He didn't have a stand-out year by any means. But he's still too young to "give up" on. It'll be interesting to see how the Flyers handle his RFA status, what kind of offer they throw at him.

Yeah I remember - but I never knew who started it. Anyway I didn't mean to make opera out of it - lol.

Of course I get the dislike for Carter. But that open net in the Final is pretty far down on the list when I think of Carter's time with the Flyers. Just another one of a million coulda, woulda shoulda plays in hockey.

It's not even my biggest coulda, shoulda, woulda of that series. I still wonder what would have happened if the officials would have called the play dead on the deflection off the player on the bench for Chicago's go-ahead goal in game 1.

Just another one of a million coulda, woulda shoulda plays in hockey.

This x1000.

And, honestly, if Leighton could stop a puck from the corner not one of us remember the Carter thing.

Yeah I remember - but I never knew who started it.

The funny thing is that the Crater lives on, but I don't recall who did it originally either.  My best guess is either Flyguys03 or JSSFOUR, but I honestly couldn't tell you.  @radoran could probably tell you.