Carcillo- how long will he get?

yave1964

9 members have voted

1. 1. How many games for Carcillo?

Last night against the Canadiens Dan Carcillo in an attempt to get free from a linesman in the middle of a first period scrum and being unable to do so, Carcillo pushed, shoved and caught the linesman with an elbow to the chin and was ejected.

854035696.gif?1400804973

The rule covering this:

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games

I am of the opinion that players have been taking more and more liberties with officials over the past several years, both physical and verbal and it is time for the league to step in. 20 games seems appropriate to me.

Edited by hf101
added poll

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player or goalkeeper knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26328

I'd say 10 games.

I would say 10 games but he is a former Flyer so it could easily become 20..... :o  Carcillo is a knucklehead acting like that with a referee. I did not see any spitting or intent to injure so in reality and since this is the playoffs he should only get 3-5 per 40.4-Category III offense. The referees are bringing this on themselves by letting players get away with the verbal abuse and not using their own rules to control it. Kind of like the lack of interference/holding calls they seem to have forgotten how to call......

Yeah it will probably be 10 games but it should be 1. That's enough to send the right message. There's no "elbow to the chin" - they're shoving each other a little that's all.

This is a lame drama that's already getting blown out of proportion. Nobody wants players scuffling with officials but this is a few seconds of shoving back n forth that's all it is.

I think he will get ten but my opinion is that is not enough. You get grabbed by a ref your done. Stop this constant  BS of trying to break fee and the constant chirping. A lot of it i blame on the ref's for their passivity but c'mon enough is enough. Send a message and take control for Christ sake, your supposed to be the officials and in charge.

Carcillo will get what he deserved; he was wrong and should be punished.  However, the linesman isn't innocent in this either.  He grabs a player that is not involved, hasn't dropped his gloves or stick, and shoves him into the boards.  There has to be accountability for that.  Heck, there are 2 guys throwing bombs, and he leaves his partner along to break it up.  Bad officiating to me...and Carcillo makes it worse by being Carcillo....

Interesting tweet by Kerry Fraser last night--and he usually defends officials to his last breath.  

@nyrgoal99 I know Daniel's temperament & trigger. Linesmen's aggressive handling caused Carcillo's switch to flip. Should not have pushed!

Carcillo will get what he deserved; he was wrong and should be punished.  However, the linesman isn't innocent in this either.  He grabs a player that is not involved, hasn't dropped his gloves or stick, and shoves him into the boards.  There has to be accountability for that.  Heck, there are 2 guys throwing bombs, and he leaves his partner along to break it up.  Bad officiating to me...and Carcillo makes it worse by being Carcillo....

Interesting tweet by Kerry Fraser last night--and he usually defends officials to his last breath.  

@nyrgoal99 I know Daniel's temperament & trigger. Linesmen's aggressive handling caused Carcillo's switch to flip. Should not have pushed!

great point Gaz - something I didn't pick up on when I saw the video. Ten fkng games...for a little shoving match that was instigated by the official. Yeah, NHL officiating  [edit: supplemental discipline i mean] is still a joke.

Edited by canoli

Good point. I would like to defend the 10 for carcillo (less games) because of your point, but just can't because....its carcillo. 

That said, the linesman should get suspended the same number of games. 

If they start suspending linesmen for grabbing players, that's a pretty slippery slope. Which isn't to say the linesmen in this case was innocent, but I don't think that's a road they want to go down. Personally I'd have given Carcillo 2-3 games. I don't think what he did deserves 10 games, but whatever.

The thing that still annoys the hell out of me is the inconsistency, and often times the severity of certain actions. For instance, Lucic can take his stick to a guys crotch and gets a $5,000 fine, the same punishment Lundqvist gets for squirting water at Crosby. And then they fine Quenneville $25,000 for gesturing at his crotch. I know the CBA only allows for a certain amount (nothing more than a slap on the wrist), but it seems some of the "punishments" don't always fit the crimes. But, that will probably never change.

Edited by MadDevil

If they start suspending linesmen for grabbing players, that's a pretty slippery slope. Which isn't to say the linesmen in this case was innocent, but I don't think that's a road they want to go down. Personally I'd have given Carcillo 2-3 games. I don't think what he did deserves 10 games, but whatever. agree

The thing that still annoys the hell out of me is the inconsistency, and often times the severity of certain actions. For instance, Lucic can take his stick to a guys crotch and gets a $5,000 fine, the same punishment Lundqvist gets for squirting water at Crosby. And then they fine Quenneville $25,000 for gesturing at his crotch. I know the CBA only allows for a certain amount (nothing more than a slap on the wrist), but it seems some of the "punishments" don't always fit the crimes. But, that will probably never change. 100% agree

Kerry Fraser ‏@kfraserthecall  13h

great point Gaz - something I didn't pick up on when I saw the video. Ten fkng games...for a little shoving match that was instigated by the official. Yeah, NHL officiating  [edit: supplemental discipline i mean] is still a joke.

I don't fault the linesman at all. Carrillo was getting a penalty for charging Prust just seconds before the fight started. The linesman was trying to get Carcillo to the penalty box and from trying to bait a Habs player into retaliation. I've seen linesmen have to shove players into the penalty box to get them off the ice while the big scrums and fights are still goin on.

Carrillo was getting a penalty for charging Prust just seconds before the fight started

You're right Alaska.  Somehow I missed the initial 2 mins to Carcillo--it certainly explains why the linesman was trying so hard to get him off the ice.  

And like Van said..it's Carcillo, pretty effing hard to defend anything he does.