Does Johnson's Contract inflate B. Shenn's?

hf101

8 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Johnson Contract inflate Schenn's ?

The 23 year old Tyler Johnson  of the Lightning was signed to a 3yr $10M contract.  In his rookie year Johnson had 24 goals, 26 assists, and a plus-23 rating in 82 games. He led all rookies in total playing time and is named as one of the finalist for the Calder Trophy.

So I'll assume  the 22yr old Braydon Schenn can expect a lesser deal as it is his 3rd season in the NHL.  His first two seasons he had 18 and 26 pts respectively. This season while playing a significant portion as a second line center he had 20 goals and 21 assists.   Sean Couturier agreed to a two-year extension worth a total of $3.5M earlier in the year.

There are probably other deals to compare this to.... So will the Flyers need to overpay B. Schenn?  

I think I'd be ok with a 2.5M contract over 3 years.

I think I'd be ok with a 2.5M contract over 3 years.

I would be fine with that contract and put bonuses in to bump the value should he exceed that pay level in performance. I am a firm believer in carrot philosophy for anything in life. You do well, you get rewarded. 

The problem is that B. Schenn is looking across the dressing room at VLC and saying WTF.....I want his money! (not literally but figuratively). 

I would be fine with that contract and put bonuses in to bump the value should he exceed that pay level in performance. I am a firm believer in carrot philosophy for anything in life. You do well, you get rewarded.        AGREE

The problem is that B. Schenn is looking across the dressing room at VLC and saying WTF.....I want his money! (not literally but figuratively). 

The problem I see is Couturier's new deal is a 2 years @ 1.7M which seems low compared to what B. Schenn will get this summer.   I'd really rather see Couts with the 2.5M and B Schenn at 1.7.

• Like 1

The problem I see is Couturier's new deal is a 2 years @ 1.7M which seems low compared to what B. Schenn will get this summer. I'd really rather see Couts with the 2.5M and B Schenn at 1.7.

Defense isn't sexy, and doesn't pay as well.

That said, I hope they use Couturier more offensively next season.

I would be fine with that contract and put bonuses in to bump the value should he exceed that pay level in performance. I am a firm believer in carrot philosophy for anything in life. You do well, you get rewarded. 

Unfortunately that's not permissible under the CBA. Performance bonuses can only be included in ELCs and over 35 contracts.

I'd really rather see Couts with the 2.5M and B Schenn at 1.7.

Agreed. Couts will get his pay day when his current contract expires. @doom88 is right about defense is not sexy, but it should not be ignored. I would like to see couts find his offensive game a bit more (he was a 2nd leading scorer twice in junior, while playing the same stifling defensive play). 

Unfortunately that's not permissible under the CBA. Performance bonuses can only be included in ELCs and over 35 contracts.

Thanks. I was actually wondering about that. I had a tickling notion that was not permissible for all contracts. Its stupid in my mind. As long as teams are not hiding money to avoid the cap, I think it should be permissible. For any contract. The only reason I could see as a negative is if the player sustains a significant injury that prevent / hinders them from obtaining bonus objectives.

This season while playing a significant portion as a second line center he had 20 goals and 21 assists.

One glaring stat that you left off that is a huge difference and one that can't be understated is Johnson's +23 which is a reflection of his play without the puck and commitment to the defensive side of his position that is impressive for such a young kid.

And lets be honest is one of Brayden biggest weakness and he just did finish even for the season and also is -5 in his short NHL playoff career (-2 this year).  Much room to grow.

He certainly needs more work in the area and needs to understand it's importance as well to the team's success as is scoring.

With that said i think he will work on that and will get better in the long run but till he proves this he can't yet be considered in the same realm as Johnson....yet.

He may or may not therefore i stick to my original statement that no way he is worth more than Coots so pay him accordingly.....and no more.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I said no. A couple of things: 1) This was Johnson's first year in the NHL and he was also in the last year of his contact, so Tampa Bay was going to have to cough up and pay him the bucks. Seconds, while Schenn had shown progress, he's been slow to progress as far as some of his peers have. His defensive game is still problematic and his scoring is still far too streaky. He needs to develop consistency in all facets of his game. With that being said, let's see what happens to Johnson in his second year. I silk think that was too big of a contract for Tampa Bay to sign him too.

Can We Use Him As Trade Bait For Evander Kane? Along With Doughburn???

you would wind up hating Kane inside of 3 weeks.

so yes, by all means let us give up two roster players for a mercurial but talented player that may or may not live up to his potential.  

not to mention, with "doughburn" gone who in our roster of defensemen can actually skate ?

i thank the norse gods, allah , the regular old judeo christian god and buddah everyday that you are not running this franchise.

i thank the norse gods, allah , the regular old judeo christian god and buddah everyday that you are not running this franchise.

Thank you for my morning laugh now you are responsible for helping me clean up the coffee i spit everywhere coming out my nose!!!!

As-salamu alaykum!!!!

you would wind up hating Kane inside of 3 weeks.

so yes, by all means let us give up two roster players for a mercurial but talented player that may or may not live up to his potential.

not to mention, with "doughburn" gone who in our roster of defensemen can actually skate ?

I agree mojo. Kane seems to be a cancer and there are stories about his work ethic.

I known this is not s popular statement but why anyone would move Coburn is beyond logic. Warts and all he is arguably the best d man on our team. Reasonable contract too...

• Like 1

I think Johnson and B.Schenn are two different beasts. First off, Johnson is on his way to being a star. He is creative, fast and makes those around him better. He is one of the top 5 penalty killers in the league right now....which is something special when you factor in his 50 pts as a rookie. Tampa Bay got off REAL CHEAP on this one. His agent should be shot. If anything, he should have signed a one year deal for 3.5 mill and see what happens from there. Why you ask....cause I really believe he will be playing on the top pp with Stamkos, and there is a real good chance he cracks 70-75 pts as a 2nd year player....while keeping up the elite penalty killing he has been showing off. This kid could be a superstar, his next deal will be for 7 mill +.....mark my words.