Cap Thoughts - Moves I'd consider

CoachX

I might be off on my numbers and I am going off what was written in a story on Philly.com, but, assuming its correct the Flyers will have 4.5 million in space this summer. That is assuming the cap goes to 69 million. Please correct me if I am wrong, after all i have trouble counting to ten unless I take my boots off

Anyway, I would let my crop of UFA players go. That means Timonen (6 mil), Downie (2.6), Hall (600K), Gill (700K) and Emery (1.6 mil). That is a total of 11.5 million in space. I think Gustafson's salary is also gone which adds another million. Then there is Pronger for another 4.9. So using neanderthal math that sounds like 17.4 million.

Am I wrong on that? what am I missing?

Some of you would know better than me who is ready to move up from the farm, so add that player to fill the role vacated by the outgoing UFA. I think that will leave enought space to bring in Vanek and sign another defenseman. I heard Niskanen's name mentioned and I think he would be a good move. You could cut into Pissberg and get him for less than 5 or 6 million.

If at all possible, if any wants VLC you have to move him. Lastly, I would try real hard to move Hartnell (mostly because he irritates the hell out of me)

The Flyers are fairly young right now. It is the opportune time to bring up young players who will be part of the future. If you take a step back, so be it, it should pan out in the long run. Its time to change the approach and move away from instant gratification

I'd keep Emery and Hall for another year...

Hall I would keep. I don't think Emery's hip has another season in it. I would keep Timmo too but it would be at a drastically lower salary(2 to 3 mil) and cut his even ice minutes and just let him log time on the PP and PK.

• Like 2

I'd keep Emery and Hall for another year...

don't the Flyers have two young goalies waiting? I'd let Emery go. He did a good job but salary is the issue. Let a kid get experience

If kimmo will resign for 2 to 3 mil for a year, that is doable if there are no better options. I'd rather give his money to Niskanen. He's younger and would the penguins to make another move

I might be off on my numbers and I am going off what was written in a story on Philly.com, but, assuming its correct the Flyers will have 4.5 million in space this summer. That is assuming the cap goes to 69 million. Please correct me if I am wrong, after all i have trouble counting to ten unless I take my boots off

Anyway, I would let my crop of UFA players go. That means Timonen (6 mil), Downie (2.6), Hall (600K), Gill (700K) and Emery (1.6 mil). That is a total of 11.5 million in space. I think Gustafson's salary is also gone which adds another million. Then there is Pronger for another 4.9. So using neanderthal math that sounds like 17.4 million.

Unless I'm mistaken, the current cap number takes into account expiring FAs. The number is the sum of the currently committed contracts for next season.

Am I wrong on that? what am I missing?

Some of you would know better than me who is ready to move up from the farm, so add that player to fill the role vacated by the outgoing UFA. I think that will leave enought space to bring in Vanek and sign another defenseman. I heard Niskanen's name mentioned and I think he would be a good move. You could cut into Pissberg and get him for less than 5 or 6 million.

If at all possible, if any wants VLC you have to move him. Lastly, I would try real hard to move Hartnell (mostly because he irritates the hell out of me)

The Flyers are fairly young right now. It is the opportune time to bring up young players who will be part of the future. If you take a step back, so be it, it should pan out in the long run. Its time to change the approach and move away from instant gratification

I'd dump all those players you said as well. THe only guy of those that might come back is hall but I get rid of him too, he's replaceable. I then tell Hartnell he aint gonna play so waive the ntc or nmc whatever it is, give me a list of teams, and trade Vinny as well to Nashville in a package deal for Weber. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee. Weber and Gaustad for Vinny,Coburn,B Schenn,Hagg and a pick or 4 lol, plus a lifetime supply of cheesesteaks

I'd like to see Vinnie, Hartnell,and Kimmo as a package go to the Preds! Interesting possibilities? I think Lavy would like it.

1) For what? 

2) Everyone really bashes Hartnell here. He is not fleet of foot. His contract is too long. But, he does produce and does allot of "dirty" things for the team that other guys don't do. There is also a character / personality aspect that I really like about him and think is a positive to the chemistry to the team / locker room. 

3) Not sure how you package a UFA (Kimmo). Yet even if he was under contract, as a sign of respect, if he was to be moved I would move him at the trade deadline to a contender (say a Minny / Colorado team) to give him a shot at a cup for his swan song. 

Edited by Vanflyer
  • Like 3

I say forget Timmo, and sign Niskanen..he's no superstar , but he is much younger than Timmo and can replace Timmos skating and offense. If Timmo will stay for 2 million tops, then we can keep him around and trade Grossman, and give Alt a shot as the 7th guy. That buys us a little more time until one of our young dmen are ready.

If we can dump VLC for future considerations, then we do it. I'm sure we have to eat so e of his contract. We would have to consider ourselves lucky to get anyone to take his absurd contract. Let's not get greedy and actually expect to get anything good in return.

I like Hartnell but I would shop him around ,gauge the interest in him , and then talk to him and see if something can be worked out. I'm not saying we give him away, only if the right deal comes along do we trade him. Hartnell is actually worth much more at the trade deadline when playoff bound teams are overpaying big time. Hartnell is exactly what playoff teams look for, he is a proven playoff warrior a leader great on the pp and there are not too many players like him who are willing to take a beating in front. Trading him in the off season will not get us as much as trading him at the deadline.

Flyers have 64.5 million in salary committed to next season. That takes into account the expiring UFAs, and also does not factor in the RFAs like Schenn Akeson, McGinn, and Gus (KHL). so right now you have 4.5 million to make moves, including signing those guys if the cap only goes to 69 million.

EDIT: That also includes Pronger's 4.9 million, so it's not as tight as it appears.

Edited by AJgoal

I'd dump all those players you said as well. THe only guy of those that might come back is hall but I get rid of him too, he's replaceable. I then tell Hartnell he aint gonna play so waive the ntc or nmc whatever it is, give me a list of teams, and trade Vinny as well to Nashville in a package deal for Weber. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee. Weber and Gaustad for Vinny,Coburn,B Schenn,Hagg and a pick or 4 lol, plus a lifetime supply of cheesesteaks

You're joking right?

Hextall should be shot if he make that trade.

Too many good defensemen going the other way...

No thanks

The package I suggested would provide Lavi with some instant offense,something the Pred's have in short supply. For the Flyers it would be like getting rid of non-income generating employees!

So your gonna trade a ufa? Try again.

The package I suggested would provide Lavi with some instant offense,something the Pred's have in short supply. For the Flyers it would be like getting rid of non-income generating employees!

So your gonna trade a ufa? Try again.

Bwaaahaaaaaa!

Everyone keeps talking about signing Niskanen who will bank between 6-7 mill per but i say for get that and go after another division foe's Dman in one Anton Stralman who is only 4 months older and is also a right handed shot but is a better well rounded Damn than Niskanen and will be about 2 mill cheaper.

I like that plan better if they have to target another Dman. My 2 cent free agent acquisition on the radar.

He only banked 1.8 mill last year so 4-4.5 mill per may get it done.

I imagine Justin Faulk and John Moore will be priority for the Rags since they are RFAs.

Stralman is a UFA and may want to test the market. I'd certainly entertain the thought of him over Clitsome for sure.  

Thanks to those who have added insight on the cap. I kind of figured I was missing something. I am still reading thought that the team has a little over 4 mil in space and will get another 4 mil in relief for Pronger.

Can they get a defenseman and winger with that?

Thanks to those who have added insight on the cap. I kind of figured I was missing something. I am still reading thought that the team has a little over 4 mil in space and will get another 4 mil in relief for Pronger.

Can they get a defenseman and winger with that?

By this coach they have 6.5 mill to sign guys with.

They still need a backup goalie and another D man.

And they are allowed to go over the cap by 10% before the start of the season.

So i think they have i think around 11.4 in cap space to resign Kimmo and the backup goalie and resign Bryaden with first before anything else is added....i may be off a little with the calculations.

Here is the link.

http://capgeek.com/flyers/

i was kinda searching around another site that was giving the same numbers. Going with what you just posted, I wouldn't be resigning Kimmo. Its a tough call but I think the team would be better moving in another direction. I hope he retires to be honest. But, if you let him walk, that 11.4 gives you some room, if you look at it from the POV that 6 of it isn't going to Kimmo. How much of a raise does Schenn get? a million, million and a half? I think he is getting 800k now, if he got bumped to 2 mil, that would be a 1.2 mil increase, leaving what, 9.2 in space? Were you factoring in the relief they get for Pronger? I think a news report had that as 4.9 mil. That should bring it to just over 14 million (roughly).

I'm sure I got something wrong in there, but I have a feeling they will come up with the space to make some moves. 14 million would get some things done

I wouldn't be resigning Kimmo.

He'll come back maybe for 2-2.5mill. Whatever is left i imagine. He's a team player so he may be the last to sign.

How much of a raise does Schenn get?

I say for the same Coots signed for 2-3 year deal or he'll be draft at the draft.

Were you factoring in the relief they get for Pronger?

Yes it where i got the 11.4 mill....they are allowed to go over 10% so that is why i used it. So with the limited cap space some of the young guys may be factored in for those reasons...not saying it will happen or that it is right. But lots of things change due to the cap era.

Ie. Alt, Ollie with but cheap 6th and th options on the blueline combined with the fact they will be ready.

Ollie needs to be resigned to a one way deal his last one was only 600K so he'll be resigned for around 700K.

Alt has 2 more years on his ELC for 781K.

Hall made 600K last year and can be resigned for close to the same. Then if need be for space he could be waived and stored on the Phantoms and get all his money in cap relief.

So that would cost all about 3.85 mill. So it would roughly leave 7.55 mill for the back up goalie and Kimmo anyone else deemed fit for the team. 2 mill for Kimmo (home town discount) and 750K-1 mill for a backup (Johnson or Griess) leaves about 4.5 mill left.

I'll remind you its math in my head and i'm not great at math. So just a rough out look.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Greetings:

Emery may be an expensive backup under the cap. Health plays a role too. I like the guy but attach low probability to a resigning. 

Hartnell is probably stuck here; too costly. I'd keep Hall unless we have a youngin who could take faceoffs as well, and who'd understand a role to be played. A "rehabilitated" VLC may fetch more at the trade deadline than what we might get now...and that may not be much.

Deep down, I suspect everyone but Voracek, G, and Simmonds may be up for grabs.  The question is who'd do the grabbing?

Howie