Cap Thoughts - Moves I'd consider

CoachX

You're joking right?

Hextall should be shot if he make that trade.

Too many good defensemen going the other way...

No thanks

Sort of joking. Coburn i'm really sick of and hope he's moved. Hagg I've seen play a few times and he's very inconsistent. The times I watched him, he seems to skate very stiff so I'm not as high on him as Gost and Morin. The trade offer was a joke but I wouldn't be hurt if Coburn and or Hagg got moved.

@

Hagg's stride is a little "stiff looking" but he is 20 and....despite it looking a little too upright, lots of ice moves beneath his skates with it. Now granted my sample size viewing him is small, I'm not juiced into Swedish TV and saw him mostly on YouTube, where he's supposed to look good.

To me he has all around good hockey player written across his helmet , so I'd like to see what becomes of that because in my heart of hearts Weber will remain a Predator and not the Chris Hansen kind.

Hagg's stride is a little "stiff looking" but he is 20

No he just turned 19 in February. Not nitpicking just pointing out his youth. Reports i seen Hagg and Alt looked damn good like i said i can't say for myself but form everything i seen on them they are real close.

And Alt will more than likely get a long look at camp and at the beginning of the season how many games i'm not sure but they don't have to worry about the 9 games and stuff like they do with junior players so if he looks good who knows how long he could be up if he does get the nod. He will be 23 so he is old enough to handle it.  

No he just turned 19 in February. Not nitpicking just pointing out his youth. Reports i seen Hagg and Alt looked damn good like i said i can't say for myself but form everything i seen on them they are real close.

And Alt will more than likely get a long look at camp and at the beginning of the season how many games i'm not sure but they don't have to worry about the 9 games and stuff like they do with junior players so if he looks good who knows how long he could be up if he does get the nod. He will be 23 so he is old enough to handle it.

One of the high praises for Hagg is his skating....

One of the high praises for Hagg is his skating....

Yeah, I watched every game he played with the Phantoms and his skating is excellent. Very smooth and effortless, and covers a lot of ice. His skating won't be an issue at the NHL level.

Yeah, I watched every game he played with the Phantoms and his skating is excellent. Very smooth and effortless, and covers a lot of ice. His skating won't be an issue at the NHL level.

Agree Jack.... His skating is above average.

@

murraycraven

A good read on the offseason moves out look...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=453780

Love this line......

It's difficult to imagine what the Flyers saw from Andrew MacDonald in 19 games to warrant a six-year, $30-million contract extension, because MacDonald has been a puck possession nightmare, whose with-or-without-you stats show that nearly everyone fares better without him.

And i suggested this as a good two way contract offer..

taking a shot at top AHL defenceman T.J. Brennan (from nearby Willingboro, NJ) might improve the Flyers' ability to move the puck from the back end.

• Like 1

Isn't that synonymous with swedish hockey player?? :-)

Love this line......

Read that article and it was an interesting read. I am not going to poo poo the puck possession thing, but it seemed a bit exaggerated in that article. Kind of like flavor of the day key phrase. I mean unless you are paul coffee, Doughty or another enormously gifted d-man that can wheel and deal through all three zones, where does puck possession really lay in importance. Giveaways / takeaways would be a better indicator for me for a guy like MacD. Hits and blocked shots would be another category that would be relevant to me for a guy like MacD. I don't want the puck on his stick that long. I want him make quick / smart / snappy outlet passes and be done with it. Point being, I don't think you can use puck possession as a broad stroke with judging players equally. 

The MacD contract is 500k too rich for my blood and a year too long. But honestly, I don't think its out of the realm that he could have garnered an identical contract on the open market. 

Edited by Vanflyer

I am not going to poo poo the puck possession thing, but it seemed a bit exaggerated in that article.

Kid biggest problem is he is always conceding the blueline all the time always skating away from the puck carrier entering the zone only to finaly make a stand right in front of the goal mouth, hence getting easily checked into the goaltender...see the Megna hit.

Kid back peddles like no other defenseman i've ever seen wear the orange and black.

puck possession really lay in importance

Really it is all (well not all but really huge) that is important cause simple....you can't score if you don't have the puck.

I agree he is over paid 4 mill top from what is seen...not a penny more....but his deal is tradable.

Kid biggest problem is he is always conceding the blueline all the time always skating away from the puck carrier entering the zone only to finaly make a stand right in front of the goal mouth, hence getting easily checked into the goaltender...see the Megna hit.

Thats fixable by coaching. 

Really it is all (well not all but really huge) that is important cause simple....you can't score if you don't have the puck.

I agree, but my point was I don't need him to be lugging the puck from behind the net through center ice. Its fine for me if he retrieves, looks, sends a break out pass all within a matter of seconds. Thats why I think the "puck possession" stat is over-exaggerated for a d-man like MacD. 

Well yeah, pretty much. Except of course for Nick Grossman. Figures that the Flyers would have the one Swedish player who skates like a hippo.

I guess you forget about Kjell Samuelson (though allot of players said he was like playing against a spider web). But to your point, two peas in a pod when it comes to Grossman / Samuelson. 

Figures that the Flyers would have the one Swedish player who skates like a hippo.

Thank you so much for that laugh....i shot coffee back up through my nose on that, not the best route to my tummy...now you're responsible for helping me clean up my keyboard!!!!!  :P

Edited by OccamsRazor

I'd like to see Vinnie, Hartnell,and Kimmo as a package go to the Preds! Interesting possibilities? I think Lavy would like it.

Sold!!!! As long as the Weber name isn't in the trade.

I would keep Hall and let Emery go and sign a backup like Weiss.

Edited by FreakinFlyersFan

Again, Kimmo is a UFA so there is no trade possible... 

Actually the can trade his rights before the eand of the year most likly at the draft like the Flyers did for Hamhuis to be able to talk with him to gauge interest in a new contract.

But for that to happen the Flyers would basically before hand they aren't bringing Kimmo back....which i can't see.

But theoretically they can trade his rights. 

But for that to happen the Flyers would basically before hand they aren't bringing Kimmo back....which i can't see.

While its a business, there is also a code. You don't pull stunts like the aforementioned to guys like Howe (mark), Desjardin (erick) and Kimmo. 

This is not directed to you OR, just overall. The Flyers are a class organization and would never do something like that. 

While its a business, there is also a code. You don't pull stunts like the aforementioned to guys like Howe (mark), Desjardin (erick) and Kimmo. 

This is not directed to you OR, just overall. The Flyers are a class organization and would never do something like that. 

more or less that is my point... anyway, Kimmo getting traded is not going to happen.  And the said deal would never happen.

The decision Hextall makes on Kimo will go a long way in giving us an idea of what kind of GM he will be. With Kimo, they gave the Rangers all they could handle, pushed the Eastern Conf champs to the limit, but were still outplayed. You could make an argument the Flyers are close, but would they still be close minus the playoff savvy of Kimo? Does Hextall play it conservative and re-sign Kimo, thus giving the team a realistic shot in the playoffs this year....or, does he think outside the box and move in a different direction? Having the goalie in place (finally!!) might push Hexy into a win now mode, but the smart play is promote from within be patient.

The decision Hextall makes on Kimo will go a long way in giving us an idea of what kind of GM he will be. With Kimo, they gave the Rangers all they could handle, pushed the Eastern Conf champs to the limit, but were still outplayed. You could make an argument the Flyers are close, but would they still be close minus the playoff savvy of Kimo? Does Hextall play it conservative and re-sign Kimo, thus giving the team a realistic shot in the playoffs this year....or, does he think outside the box and move in a different direction? Having the goalie in place (finally!!) might push Hexy into a win now mode, but the smart play is promote from within be patient.

I agree Kimmo will come back for another season and i feel with Mason to start the series verse the Rangers they win that series...now of course we'll never know.

But i believe it but Kimmo back for another season just makes sense till one of the young guys is further along and ready to step in for sure.

He will be able to still nurture Coburn, Luke Amac and other still but his minutes need to be reduce further so he'll be able to contribute more if they make the playoffs next year, he is still like a teacher on the ice.

I just spit up in my mouth a bit. 

Yeah i know he is still the BIG kid still stuck on moma's tit.....but it's true one day i hope he comes around....but there were a couple games this past playoffs verse the Rags that just make me wonder if they should just go ahead and trade him while his value is still high. Just torn...cause also saddly he is still their best Dman...that will cause you to vomit further.

Just torn...cause also saddly he is still their best Dman...that will cause you to vomit further.

Their best dman that still needs nurturing. 

Seriously, I don't mind him for his price. He is not a Doughty, Weber, Chara, Seabrook, Keith, Suter, etc. Why cant we have a player like one of those guys???