Candidates for Conn Smythe

hf101

Who are your favorites for playoff MVP?

A lot probably depends upon which two teams advance but there are some good candidates for the award this year.

Henrik Lundquist -  Leads the playoffs with a 1.98 GAA and a .931 save percentage thus far including winning 2 game 7s.

Jeff Carter - Has 10 pts in his last two games - (amazing) and 19 pts in the playoffs thus far.

Jonathon Toews - Has 13pts in 15 games.  

Martin St. Louis - Has had some timely goals and 13pts in 18games.

Anze Kopitar - Leads the playoffs so far with 20 points.

Others candidates should include Corey Crawford, Jonathan Quick, PK Subban, and Marion Gaborik.

... Unless Carter continues to score at this pace I think the honors will go to the King "Lundqvist".  And realistically I think MSL will be a close second.

Who are your favorites for playoff MVP?

A lot probably depends upon which two teams advance but there are some good candidates for the award this year.

Henrik Lundquist -  Leads the playoffs with a 1.98 GAA and a .931 save percentage thus far including winning 2 game 7s.

Jeff Carter - Has 10 pts in his last two games - (amazing) and 19 pts in the playoffs thus far.

Jonathon Toews - Has 13pts in 15 games.  

Martin St. Louis - Has had some timely goals and 13pts in 18games.

Anze Kopitar - Leads the playoffs so far with 20 points.

Others candidates should include Corey Crawford, Jonathan Quick, PK Subban, and Marion Gaborik.

... Unless Carter continues to score at this pace I think the honors will go to the King "Lundqvist".  And realistically I think MSL will be a close second.

I'd Say Doughty is closer than Gaborik.

Winning team gets it every year (almost, See Leach, Reggie). Every now and then a losing goalie gets it (See Hextall, Ron) Based off of that:

Hawks: Toews. Hands down. Absolutely the best captain In the game today and his postseason shows why.

Kings: Kopitar has been simply outstanding, showing a gear that I did not even know he had.

Rangers: No Brainer in Lundqvist. Stole the series against Pittsburgh to get them where they are.

Montreal: Nobody comes to mind. Price maybe before the injury. That says a lot about Therrien and the job he has done. Total team concept. I think if Montreal wins either Kopitar or Toews winds up with the trophy.

I wish I would have taken in more of the Kings this playoff year. I've only seen 3 games from them, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Right now, I've got....

1)Lundqvist....the King is playing like royalty. His game 7's is stuff legends are made of. Finally clicking for the Rangers when they need it the most.

2)Carter (begrudgingly)..the offense is impossible to ignore.\

3)Quick...the resilient, never say die guy has the talent to back up his rep. Taking bend but don't break to a new extreme, he comes through when it really matters, amazing athlete, does the splits better than any goalie I can ever remember.

4)St.Louis...Even when he has been held off the score sheet, his compete level has been excellent. Don't know if the Rangers make this long run without him. Many of us chastised the NYR management group for this trade....but this long run, and being 5 wins away from the Stanley Cup....this makes the St.Louis trade a win for me. The fact Callahan sucked for the Bolts has to be taken into account....and the fact St.Louis has been an integral part of a LONG playoff run. If the Rangers make the finals and get another 3 years of excellent play from Marty, the Rangers make out like bandits......and I was like many when the actual trade was made, it looked disastrous for New York...I was wrong and happy to admit it.

5)Doughty....the goals are not coming in bushels.....but this guy is so talented, he can control the ebb and flow of a game, one of the best ever at knowing when to pinch and when to lay back. It's an honour to watch the guy skate, just a wonderful effortless skater, in the top 3% of skaters overall....top end speed, dexterity and tremendous hip movement when transitioning from forwards backwards.

6)Toews....the Hawks live and die with their captain. If they advance to the finals, you can bet your last dime Johnathan had his hands in there.

Patrick Kane and Drew Doughty rising on my list.

1. Lundqvist

2. Kane / Carter  whomever moves on

3. MSL

4. Drew Doughty

5. Toews / Kopitar whomever moves on

When I look at the bookmakers, the only 3 real candidates for the Conn Smythe Trophy are Kopitar, Lundqvist and Carter in that order.

Keeping in mind that most of the times a player from the Stanley Cup winner takes this trophy, I think it's going to be Kopitar.

Keeping in mind that most of the times a player from the Stanley Cup winner takes this trophy, I think it's going to be Kopitar.

In 59 years, it has only been awarded in a losing effort 5 times. 4 out of those 5 times were to the losing goalie (the only forward to win it in a losing cause is the Flyers Reggie Leach- good trivia question). 

If the Rangers were to lose, unless Henry stands on his head again, it will be hard not to see it go to a king given they have had three 7 game series in a row (though the Rangers have had two 7 and a 6). 

I can't get behind Martinez for CS. Nice player and good playoffs, but not MVP worthy.

Doughty is too far ahead of him but as for the Kings' defense he has a couple HUGE GW goals. That's what I credit him for. Game 7 against the Hawks and he gets the OT ringer. He's been super important. In my mind he's playing way above his talent level. Lol

That's what I credit him for. Game 7 against the Hawks and he gets the OT ringer. He's been super important. In my mind he's playing way above his talent level. Lol

I get that, but the one against the hawks was flukey (more johnny on the spot than anything heroic he did). As others have mentioned, what Doughty does away from the scoreboard in regards to controlling the game, is just amazing. I like Keith and Seabrook, but Doughty made them look like amateurs at times compared to him (not to say he was flawless, because he had some gaffes, but for the most part he was all that). I also like Mcdonahugh (sp), but Doughty is head and shoulders above them all. 

I wish I would have taken in more of the Kings this playoff year. I've only seen 3 games from them, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Right now, I've got....

1)Lundqvist....the King is playing like royalty. His game 7's is stuff legends are made of. Finally clicking for the Rangers when they need it the most.

2)Carter (begrudgingly)..the offense is impossible to ignore.\

3)Quick...the resilient, never say die guy has the talent to back up his rep. Taking bend but don't break to a new extreme, he comes through when it really matters, amazing athlete, does the splits better than any goalie I can ever remember.

4)St.Louis...Even when he has been held off the score sheet, his compete level has been excellent. Don't know if the Rangers make this long run without him. Many of us chastised the NYR management group for this trade....but this long run, and being 5 wins away from the Stanley Cup....this makes the St.Louis trade a win for me. The fact Callahan sucked for the Bolts has to be taken into account....and the fact St.Louis has been an integral part of a LONG playoff run. If the Rangers make the finals and get another 3 years of excellent play from Marty, the Rangers make out like bandits......and I was like many when the actual trade was made, it looked disastrous for New York...I was wrong and happy to admit it.

5)Doughty....the goals are not coming in bushels.....but this guy is so talented, he can control the ebb and flow of a game, one of the best ever at knowing when to pinch and when to lay back. It's an honour to watch the guy skate, just a wonderful effortless skater, in the top 3% of skaters overall....top end speed, dexterity and tremendous hip movement when transitioning from forwards backwards.

6)Toews....the Hawks live and die with their captain. If they advance to the finals, you can bet your last dime Johnathan had his hands in there.

Definitely. The Bourque comparisons came in bushells when he was drafted and he is living up to them these playoffs

• 2 weeks later...